• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I have been looking at my stockpile and it is suffering in the water department I have a bunch or rain barrels but I am not wanting to hook them up anytime soon and the only water I have is in bottles and gallon jugs....how do you store/ get water ???

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I wish I had the setup my father-in-law has in PA. Their house is built on a hill / mountain. Their water is from a spring, and even without electricity due to gravity they have enough pressure to take a shower, run water in any sink in the house, fill the toilets, etc. It may not be normal pressure, but is enough.

I don't have a lot stored in the house, but I have a creek that runs through the back of my property. I can get what ever I need from it. Then boil or treat it as necessary.

If I wanted to travel a short distance a neighbor has a flowing artesian well. That always flows from an open pipe and is very cold and clean.

In all cases these water sources have never dried up even in drought conditions.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Rain barrels catch 110 gallons, have a Sawyer Point Zero Two filter if necessary. Have cases of bottled water in the basement that get used regularly and buy it by the skid when available. Pain in the but to haul it all to the basement, but there is a water bottling factory in town that sells seconds, or misformed bottles, etc, by the skid. Last time it was 1.17 per case. Score!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I kept my well after we got connected to city water. I use it to supplement my rain water for watering and other out-door uses. Last year I pulled the well cap and drop lines and replaced them so I could convert it from a two-line deep well set-up to a one-line shallow well set-up. It's funny how many people believe that, since the well case is 100 feet deep, you need a deep well set-up, even though the depth to water is 20 feet. Even the guy at Mennards told me the shallow well wouldn't work. "Well, I guess I'll be back to get more stuff next weekend then", I told him. The shallow well set-up works fine with plenty of volume and pressure.

Anyway, when I replaced the two deep drop lines connected with a jet at the bottom with a single line with a check valve at the bottom, I also put in another line with no check valve. To this line I plan to connect my pitcher pump so that I can hand pump water. With no check valve, the water will run back into the well when you quit pumping, to prevent freezing in the winter. I had added a breezeway to my house some years ago to join the house with the garage and the well is under that, so I will have a source of clean well water under roof, available all season long.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We store some in 2 liter bottles,have 4 5 gallon containers,water heater,well,we live on a river.....and worst case Lake Superior is a few miles down the road :P

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I also have a 250 gallon and two 55 gallon rain tanks. I've always wanted to get a plastic cistern and bury it near my house. Another plan I've had is to put a tank in my crawl space to store rain water or maybe grey water from the washing machine and plumb that into the two toilets to reduce my water and sewage bills.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    First how long are you storing the water? It will depend on how you would best store it. If it's for a week to water your garden the method will be much different than for long term drinking and cooking water.

Wash and sanatize whatever you put it in. 2 liter bottles, milk style water jugs, 5 gallon containers, etc. Personally I will only put water in something that was either new to me or previously food grade. Don't go down to your local supply store and buy some 5 gallon buckets and lids and think your ok. Many products not made for food grade storage are made with or manufacturerd with chemicals that are not safe for long term storage of food stuffs, water, etc..

Right now I have some 2 liter bottles, a few 5 gallon jugs, some in original 1 liter bottles and a few gallon milk jug style in quick rotation storage.

Long term stuff is Stainless steel tanks, stainless steel drums, poly cistern, 7 acre lake fed by springs, two wells (both with no power means of pumping) and a few other sources..

Figure out your space too, water is heavy and takes up alot of room, has to be kept from freezing, has to be kept clean or have a means to clean it, etc.

Best of luck,

TJ

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    If I needed to in a pinch I live a few hundred meters away from the Ohio river (i know its dirty) with a rock sand charcoal water filter then my sawyer water filter bleach and boiling I might drink it lol

davidj60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    I let the local grocery store my water. It seems they get it from either Fiji or France. I pick it up there, and pay them a fee for the storage.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    5 55 gal barrels filled with city water kept in the workshop. 2 liters mainly for grey water uses. Been thinking of picking up some of the 5 gal drinking fountain jugs as the store down the road advertises $3.50 per.

Top Bottom