• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Going to see family over the holiday. Plan to stay there for 5 days. Of course i am going to carry on the way there, when there, and on the way back. The question i have is what else if anything do you bring? :dunno:

Extra ammo?
    Extra gun for wife, maybe even a long gun? :ar15:

Just in case is my thoughts here. Stranded on the road, or SHFT happens while with family, or whatever else could happen. :ingo:

What do you bring? Also planning of traveling over Christmas break as well.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    :laugh: :laugh: funny i was looking into that same thing for when my wife and I get a house. :D

Everything, at what point am i smuggling guns? :ingo:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    It depends. Who are the relatives, and can they restock you with ammo when you get there?

In all serious, I guess it depends on how far away you live from your relatives. I'm traveling 45 minutes north for Thanksgiving, and will only be taking my normal carry. If society happens to start collapsing, my brothers and I will take my older brother's truck, run out to my house, and gather up anything of use.

I don't plan on society collapsing though, unless two of my brothers claim the drumsticks before I get a chance at them. :draw:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Whatever you feel comfortable taking. I always have an extra 6 loaded mags for my 1911 in the car other than the ones I carry on me. But for longer trips more would be better, or even an extra box of ammo. Also a good trunk gun would be a good idea. For longer trips I'll throw my 12 ga pump in the car with some buckshot and slugs just in case. My get home bag is always in the car along with a canteen of water. We'll only be about 45 mins from home for Thanksgiving tomorrow. So I'll prob just have the normal spare mags in the car and not worry about adding more or grabbing the shotgun.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    When I go down to Eastern KY, I will take my usual carry. I carry an extra revolver in the console all the time anyway. I will also throw an extra piece under the seat for a long trip. So 3 pistols. I usually take a bird hunting shotgun with me, just in case :-) You never want to be asked to go bird hunting and have to say, can I borrow a gun. They would think you had gone gay or something. I usually throw in the AR Carbine (4 30 rounders in the case) for just in case.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I am getting ready to leave to go to my FIL's my wife is at her mom's and driving from there. I am taking an arse load of camo, my e.d.c. piece two shotguns and hoping to bag some deer while there although I am not sure that is why you are talking about in this thread. I am not worried about society collapsing today or around christmas so I am going on with my everyday life until I am proven wrong.

When I am proven wrong my trips will include the following (will add later need to go get in the woods)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Well, we're hosting this year, so nothing to worry about in this respect.

Plus, we ordered a 20 lb. turkey from our Amish farmer, but ended up with a 32 pounder. The drumsticks are big enough that, when the meat is consumed, I could easily arm two of the relatives with the leg bones, which are sufficient to re-enact the opening scene from 2001: A Space Oddessy :):

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you go up michigan way, be sure to bring $100 cash to provide for bond/extortion or surrender your driver's license for any speeding infraction.

Not a SHTF scenario as much as a PITA in getting them to mail it back after it's paid.

Hey, I'm thinking they need the money.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I suggest a "get home bag." That is, a scaled down version of a bug out bag that is always kept in your car. Keep everything from and extra firearm and ammo to medical supplies in it. You'll be better off if you have car trouble or encounter a SHTF scenario.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Whatever you feel comfortable taking. I always have an extra 6 loaded mags for my 1911 in the car other than the ones I carry on me. But for longer trips more would be better, or even an extra box of ammo. Also a good trunk gun would be a good idea. For longer trips I'll throw my 12 ga pump in the car with some buckshot and slugs just in case. My get home bag is always in the car along with a canteen of water. We'll only be about 45 mins from home for Thanksgiving tomorrow. So I'll prob just have the normal spare mags in the car and not worry about adding more or grabbing the shotgun.

HOLY CRAP!!! What do you take for a long drive??

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Gear

On my person: normally a glock 17, 19 or a sig 226, a pen light, notebook and pencil, fixed blade knife, leatherman, swiss army knife, 50' paracord, small compass, cracker from an MRE, gauze pack, waterproof matches and a digital watch with a second compass on the band. (This is optimal, I carry less gear in hotter weather when I have less clothes to stash stuff in.)

In the car: get home bag with lots of stuff, including: a couple of MRE's, bottles of water, emergency blanket, poncho, maglight, radio, waterproof matches, leatherman, maps and compass, magnifying glass, spare boots (in case I am in dress clothes), hoody, e-tool, fixed blade knife and a big camo tarp. If I am going to a relatives I will put a shotgun in the trunk but if I am going anywhere where my car or truck will be unattended then I will take only my personal carry weapon. My get home bag is big, but I keep one of those fanny packs that can fold out into a backpack so that I can pick what gear I want to take with me if I need to ditch the car.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Maybe next year I'll worry a little more about SHingTF. This year, not so much. Besides. I took my whole house. Well, I stayed at home and hosted this year is what I mean. :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I traveled to MN and brought my BOB, my XD.40SC, my 10/22, my .44mag, my wifes Bersa.380, my sons marlin 60, my CX4 .40 and about 200 rounds for each. Just a brick for the .22s. This past week was my first chance to play with the CX4, man what a fun gun. got it sighted in and it was quite the tack driver at 50yards......

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    HOLY CRAP!!! What do you take for a long drive??

I said in there what I'd take for a long drive. My normal load on me is my 1911 and 2 spare mags. But then just in case I have 6 spare mags in the car all the time. The other stuff is just for longer drives. Although the get home bag and canteen is always there.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    well survived the trip with family.... thanks for all the comments and i think i am having withdraws from INGO:ingo: time to get my fix!! :D

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I am getting ready to leave to go to my FIL's my wife is at her mom's and driving from there. I am taking an arse load of camo, my e.d.c. piece two shotguns and hoping to bag some deer while there although I am not sure that is why you are talking about in this thread. I am not worried about society collapsing today or around christmas so I am going on with my everyday life until I am proven wrong.

When I am proven wrong my trips will include the following (will add later need to go get in the woods)

I have tried to think about it, and am probably going to feel like an idiot for not knowing, but what is e.d.c.?

Got it, Every Day Carry!!

When I travel for these holidays I take a get home bag, and a pretty comprehensive first aid kit. GHB contains extra mags for the AR and 1911, survival blankets, fleece, fire starting material, 2 liters H2O, some energy bars and some more "stuff"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom