What do you tell people who bump your sidearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I always CC. I have many friends and family who would be shocked to
    know I carry everywhere I legally can. What do you tell people who
    accidentally bump your firearm and ask, "What is that?"

I just can't think of a good response that would keep me under cover.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Cell phone

PDA

Pager (if you're old school)

Colostomy bag

Insulin pump

"medical device" (that'll avoid any further questions)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Usually - "My Gun"

If I'm really trying to be stealthy, I pretend I didn't even hear them, and answer with some random "so, how's the kids?" kind of question. Most folks get deflected pretty easily.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I was at a baptism one time and some little kid ran past me and bonked himself pretty hard on the butt of my 1911. He fell down, I bent down to help him up and his dad came over and began scolding him for running through a crowd. I told him "I think he learned his lesson, he hit his head pretty hard."
    Come to find out, later he was asking his dad about my metal hip, and they had the "some people carry guns talk"
    Long story short the little crumb snatcher is going to be more careful around crowds.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I must be living wrong - people do not bump into my gun let alone ask what it is.

I do not understand why someone would ask unless they are close to you and then it really doesn't matter.

If they were to ask (and again I am perplexed), I would would just respond "what is what?". Really nobody's business. I do not owe anyone an explanation.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's actually never happened to me, and I hadn't really thought of it. However, I don't tend to find myself in dense crowds, and keep more personal space than a lot of people. Medical device sounds pretty good though, but I'm not sure that wouldn't get some people asking more.

benkrebs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was once at the Egyptian (a hookah bar in Broad Ripple) with a group on a Saturday night. I was carrying because I know Broad Ripple can be crazy on the weekends. I'm sitting at the table next to a girl who I had never met, so we were just making conversation. It was crowding at the table and we were pretty smushed, and she ended up bumping my pistol with her elbow 2 or 3 times. I finally said, "hey, I don't want to alarm you, but that's my pistol you keep bumping. Hope you don't mind." To my EXTREME pleasure she said, "oh that's fine. I would have freaked out if you hadn't told me and I just saw it. I think guns are good, they don't kill people, BG's kill people." What makes it even better is that she goes to IU like myself. Gave me more faith in my university.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Never had that happen.

I usually maintain my "space" even in a crowd. I'd probably go ahead and tell them sidearm if it were an OWB or IWB carry. For smart carry or wallet holster I may tell them they need to buy me dinner before they find out what it is.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    HA! Had a teenage girl at church come up to give Ole' Uncle Scott a hug the other day. "What's that???"

Now she wants to go shooting with us. Dad says it's cool. :yesway:

Top Bottom