• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Translators are great!

Useful, but there is one more key step to express something as a native speaker of a given language would say it. Otherwise, you get a "negative" translation [as in film terminology]. Word order, idioms, and stylistics must be taken into account. As it was explained to me, this is the difference between a translator and an interpreter.
    Weissbier---->:cheers: Prosit!

Last edited:

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    IN Indiana you dont have to say anything about it unless you are asked. In OHIO you must notify the cop that you are armed and have a CCW or you will get in big trouble. Remember, when they run your drivers lic. they know right then that you have a CCW.
    However in many cases, even in IN, if you voluteer you have a ccw and firearm they will let you go because you are being curtious to them and that is the cops thanks

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    IN Indiana you dont have to say anything about it unless you are asked. In OHIO you must notify the cop that you are armed and have a CCW or you will get in big trouble. Remember, when they run your drivers lic. they know right then that you have a CCW.
    However in many cases, even in IN, if you voluteer you have a ccw and firearm they will let you go because you are being curtious to them and that is the cops thanks

Partially right answer; In Ohio the Databases are linked, In Indiana the Databases are not linked and the LEO has no clue (unless he knows you) that you have the permit. At least until he either asks or you voluntarily tell him first... ;)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Partially right answer; In Ohio the Databases are linked, In Indiana the Databases are not linked and the LEO has no clue (unless he knows you) that you have the permit. At least until he either asks or you voluntarily tell him first... ;)

So if you have IN licenses (driver and carry), and you get stopped in Ohio, they still wouldn't know, right? Because I don't see how Indiana residents would show up in Ohio's linked databases — unless, perhaps, there was a history with that person in Ohio so they've made a note of it somewhere.

That's good to know about the Indiana databases, though. I was under the impression (completely uncorroborated) that when they ran your license, they would find out you have a LTCH. Thanks for the heads up!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

And in some cases, they will stick their gun in your face, yank you out of the car, put you on the ground, and seize your firearm. Or any combination of the above.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So if you have IN licenses (driver and carry), and you get stopped in Ohio, they still wouldn't know, right? Because I don't see how Indiana residents would show up in Ohio's linked databases — unless, perhaps, there was a history with that person in Ohio so they've made a note of it somewhere.

That's good to know about the Indiana databases, though. I was under the impression (completely uncorroborated) that when they ran your license, they would find out you have a LTCH. Thanks for the heads up!

If you are carrying in Ohio you are illegal anyway. The State of Ohio does not recognize the validity of our states LTCH. You can carry in Ohio with one of the Non resident permits like Utah or Florida however... But you still must follow the laws of the state that you are in not the laws of the state you license/permit is issued for...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Remember, when they run your drivers lic. they know right then that you have a CCW.

If you are carrying in Ohio you are illegal anyway. The State of Ohio does not recognize the validity of our states LTCH. You can carry in Ohio with one of the Non resident permits like Utah or Florida however... But you still must follow the laws of the state that you are in not the laws of the state you license/permit is issued for...

Right, of course. What I was getting at was that if you have a non-Ohio LTCH, an Ohio LEO wouldn't know that you were a license-holder. Just trying to make sure I understood you right.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    And to top it off they will write you the ticket so they can meet their quota and get the George Foreman Grill.

Of course, the don't have quotas. That would be illegal. We didn't have quotas. I did have one base, however, where we kept getting told we weren't writing enough tickets, and that our proficiency reports may reflect our lack of productivity. Not sure why they cared, since ticket we wrote didn't generate any money whatsoever for our bases. I reckon someone in back office liked having something to count.

They quit telling me to write more tickets. Every time they did I would go to the gym and the O-club and write every car I could find illegally parked with an officer's sticker, with particular care to look for the little Colonel's eagle or General's stars. A little while later, at least one wife would show up at the squadron waving the ticket and raising Cain :D Some other folks picked up on my "technique," and I reckon whoever the back office person was that wanted to count tickets found something else to count, cause we quit getting nagged about how many we wrote.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Posted by Joe Williams
    They quit telling me to write more tickets. Every time they did I would go to the gym and the O-club and write every car I could find illegally parked with an officer's sticker, with particular care to look for the little Colonel's eagle or General's stars. A little while later, at least one wife would show up at the squadron waving the ticket and raising Cain :D Some other folks picked up on my "technique," and I reckon whoever the back office person was that wanted to count tickets found something else to count, cause we quit getting nagged about how many we wrote.

Repped for that.
    Hilarious!
    :+1:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    LEO has no clue (unless he knows you) that you have the permit. At least until he either asks or you voluntarily tell him first... ;)

Where is the law that says we have to inform the police that we are carrying if asked? I can't find one (we have to produce a LTCH to not be arrested but that's after he already knows your armed).

I don't disagree that it would be good manners & courteous to tell the truth but where does it say that someone HAS to be courteous?

If there is no law then your answer above condenses down to "until ...you voluntarily tell him"...unless of course he has reasonable articulable suspicion that you are carrying & performs a search. At that point it really doesn't matter that you lied as long as you have your LTCH with you. He can't arrest you for lying if there is no law that says otherwise. If there was wouldn't that be a 5A challenge waiting to happen?

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Out of respect, I have always handed the LEO with my permit along with license and registration. I immediately tell them location of guns in vehicle as well. 9 out 10 times they respect you for respecting their safety. I had a trooper not give me a speeding ticket for 30 over beause when he asked if the gun was loaded I said, "is there any other way to roll." He chuckled and sent me on my way after running my license.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Out of respect, I have always handed the LEO with my permit along with license and registration. I immediately tell them location of guns in vehicle as well. 9 out 10 times they respect you for respecting their safety. I had a trooper not give me a speeding ticket for 30 over beause when he asked if the gun was loaded I said, "is there any other way to roll." He chuckled and sent me on my way after running my license.

"Out of respect"? What does that even mean?

Is it somehow disrespectful to choose to not offer such information?

Do police officers somehow warrant more respect than other people? If not, do you inform everyone you encounter that you're carrying a gun and hand your "permit" to them "out of respect"?

Top Bottom