• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    So I've heard from some people that Taurus has had a few problems in the past but I held the PT709 Slim today and really liked the feel. It was very concealable, fit my hand really well, and I liked the trigger pull. Does anyone carry one of these or could chime in on recent Taurus quality and reliability?

Thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Between the two of us, ConcealedCarryCuty and I have several Taurus handguns. I carry the pt738 TCP black with black stainless slide, she carrys the millennium g2 in 9mm, we have a full size 809 for home defense, and will likely get more soon.

reliability? Fantastic. The 809 has close to 2000 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Eats anything you feed it.

fit and Finnish? Not great. They are budget guns, and although their revolvers are nice, their polymers don't win in the cosmetic department.

they do have many options and well designed pieces though. I love Taurus, and you can't forget their excellent warranty and customer service.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I like Taurus, I have owned Taurus wheel guns. The problem I see with them is this. Quality is hit or miss. You have about as many people that cheer Taurus as have horror stories. And I can understand that. Although I have had good luck personally I have for example shot PT1911's that have had triggers as good as any high end 1911 and I have shot more PT1911's that have had total crap triggers. Also people that work in LGS's have stated more than once that Taurus is the gun they see most going back for repairs. Just random quality. I think they have good designs and questionable manufacturing. Shoddy quality control. As long as their rep is questionable they will not retain values like the other major manufactures, like S&W, Ruger etc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a Taurus revolver. I think it is fine for its intended purpose. Never had an issue except when I tried a light hammer spring and I got a light hammer strike one time. I put the factory spring back in. And this is coming from a S&W fan.

I don't plan on owning any of their semi-autos. I have no quantifiable reason other than I like others better.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My opinion is why would you take a chance? History shows that they are hit or miss. That is the Polar opposite of what I am looking for in a firearm.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have no problems with Taurus. I own both revolvers and semi-autos, and they are just as reliable as any of my Sigs, Rugers, Smiths, or others. A PT-709 and a PT-145 are in my carry rotation, and I have absolutely no qualms about them in a SHTF situation. All of them have many, many rounds through them - none of my stuff sits in the safe. They may not be real 'pretty', but they go bang when I pull the trigger. Based on my personal experience, I just don't understand the Taurus hate.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Their large/medium frame revolvers and the PT92 series are alright, but everything else is pretty much non-QC'ed garbage (the M44 is actually a really decent serviceable .44 Magnum). Yeah, you might get a good one, but for the most part, modern Taurus firearms are slapped together and thrown out the door. Jammomatic semis. Non-functional snubnoses. The steel framed M85, if you get a good one, is decent, but realistically, why roll the dice? Is your life worth the "maybe"? And this isn't parroting internet chatter, this is hands on experience or seeing common trends by working at a range.

I know, we're going to get deluged with the "my Millenium Pro has worked for over 200 rounds!!" and such, but realistically, their sample size is one. Their guns have decent materials, but junk manufacturing and fitting methods. Their 1911 series has a decent slide and frame, but outside of that...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My opinion is why would you take a chance? History shows that they are hit or miss. That is the Polar opposite of what I am looking for in a firearm.

This. When I went looking for my last revolver, I had a Taurus/Rossi budget but decided to go with an older Smith for the same price.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I own 2 Taurus PT-809 semis and haven't had an ounce of trouble out of them. Go for it.

I have to retract some of what I said earlier: I have seen a few of these come to our range and they seem to work well enough. Been considering one as a "truck pistol" or a hand out for a friend/family member in case of things going really south. The thing that attracts me to that series is the ergonomics are really decent, it's accurate enough, but doesn't suffer some huge malady that some other sub $400 pistol suffer (Sigmas=trigger, SD series=trigger, Taurus G2 or similar=trigger and reliability, import pistols=parts and magazine availability, etc...).

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I have had 3. Millennium in .40, a 709 slim, and a 24/7 .40 cal. The millennium had to be sent back in due to a mag catch issue. It was back in my hand in less than a week with a whole new frame. The 24/7 has 2k plus rounds run through it. I trust my life to it.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A few folks above have hit it on the head; quality is hit or miss. Some are good, some never will be. If you pay a bunch of money for a pistol and it is still not functioning properly after the third of fourth trip back to the factory, you got screwed and you will never forget it.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I have a Rossi (Taurus) 22lr revolver, with well over 2,000 rounds through it. I have never had one issue in that time.
    A friend has a PT 709, with over 4,000 rounds through it. He has never had any issues with the pistol, only an occasional problem with
    some ammo.
    I am going to buy a PT 738, and give it a try. I have had issues with the best of guns. When Taurus sells me a bad one, or gives me lousy customer
    service, then I will stop buying.
    I think they are much better now, than in past years.

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am going with the OP: What do you think of Taurus now? Is it hit or miss? I own the Millennium G2 and it fires nice and nicely put together. Another, who is very experienced and fired my pistol, liked the feel and thought the gun overall was a nice piece. For today's Taurus, I think that my gun has a nice fit and finish and no issues at this point. I would buy another Taurus and I am looking for a .380. One could just as easily replace Taurus with Ford, GM, or Chrysler. It seems like a lot of INGO members are very brand loyal and not as kind to other brands. Are the members here this brand loyal with their automobiles?

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    The first Taurus I bought was the 111 millennium. one pretty little paperweight. It spent more time at Fed Ex Air than in my holster. Paid 3 dumped for 1....Lesson learned, nah....

I EDC a PT809B, a reliable gun, a little large and the mag well or mags could have been cut a little closer to spec. Sounds like one of those creepy crawly things when I walk. Most SA's rattle but this one is loud.

All in all not a bad gun, but not a good gun, never had a mis...anything or failure. Like the board says good is hit or miss. and this one is semi good.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I purchased a Taurus TCP 738 .380 two 1500's ago. My first Taurus. It worked great for about 100 rounds then it quit. It would not release to fire about half the time. Called factory, they gave me a return #, sent it back and returned it in about 3 weeks. So far after about 300 rounds it has been perfect.

Top Bottom