• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The program has been around since the 1920s (IIRC) to preserve forests and they encourage that by reduced taxes. Not sure how 1.7 acres is much of a "forest", or how the taxes on that little bit of undeveloped land would be much.
    It's close to $700/yr for a 1.7 acre triangle sitting between a road, an ag field and a creek. It's F'n ridiculous.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    It makes no change that will effect anyone other than the land owners.. It's still private property, they just have agreed to manage it based on a plan for timber or wildlife.. It counts as Farmland for hunting.. every year i hear stories of someone who knows someone who claims they have a problem with the program, but no one can ever give a specific case of the state restricting or requiring anything.. For 10+ years my only requirement from the state forester was to "Reduce deer numbers"

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If it's unimproved, that is f'n ridiculous.
    There are programs in Maryland that cover unbuildable tidal swampland, marsh and tillable farmland and other unusable land. Most programs are for 100 years, one can easily be paid from a few thousand an acre and up to put land in these Preservation Programs that you couldn't get a permit to build on if you tried.
    Its just another program for the land owners of unbuildable land to fleece the taxpayer. The State hooks you up.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Everything I've seen is 10+ acres.

I'd reach out to the assessor regardless. On vacant land, those taxes are nuts.
    3f15da726b656f60060accf41195420a.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    According the the person(s) the previous owner spoke to, nothing. I'll make an attempt one day once I find myself in the right mood.
    I would also spend some time looking at local comparable property's and see what they are paying in taxes.
    If your getting broken over go to the next available time that you can argue your tax bill with the county. Bring good pictures.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    According the the person(s) the previous owner spoke to, nothing. I'll make an attempt one day once I find myself in the right mood.
    I think you need to knuckle down and get this changed. If the info is correct at $700 a year they are taxing you as if the land is worth over $40,000 and acre. I’m betting you would take $68,000 in a heartbeat…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think you need to knuckle down and get this changed. If the info is correct at $700 a year they are taxing you as if the land is worth over $40,000 and acre. I’m betting you would take $68,000 in a heartbeat…
    Unfortunately this is Hamilton Co where $40k/acre is a steal in some places. I'm hopeful that I'll find someone helpful when I go in and common sense will prevail. If I were confident I'd have gone in there already.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The neighbor to the property I hunt in Huntington County has 2.88 acres and he has signs up for Classified Forest. Can't be more than an acre of woods on his place.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately this is Hamilton Co where $40k/acre is a steal in some places. I'm hopeful that I'll find someone helpful when I go in and common sense will prevail. If I were confident I'd have gone in there already.
    Don’t think $40,000 is a steal in most of the rural parts of the county, though I did hear Becks paid near $20,000 an acre for a farm. The $40,000-$50,000 is commercial land I do not get the picture from your posts you are in commercial land.

Is that 1.7 acres its own parcel taxed separately?

Top Bottom