What gun when shot turns people to gun lovers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ruger 10/22, Marlin 336, any of the target 22lr pistols, any full size full weight 357 magnum revolver with 38 specials.

Of course the AR15 is a given, I don't know of anyone who hasn't enjoyed shooting one unless its been tacticooled up to 10+ pounds.

Also any of the normal service guns in 9mm.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    OOOH... I GOT IT!!

Any cannon, fired in close proximity.. If THAT dont turn you on to guns, you should look into knitting..

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    What gun or guns when a none gun person shoots them immediately converts them to a gun lover?

I mean, I really like the 1911 platform especially in 357 sig. That is a conversion gun for gun people and some non gun guys.:) But someone new may not like the recoil and noise.

It seems to me most non gun people enjoy a suppressed 22, just about any model. or plain 22 anyway

After typing this out and thinking about it and no offense to the women shooters on the board. My wife starts several women out with the 22 suppressed and that goes over real well.

Guys do tend to get bored with it and want something a little larger.

the 9mm 1911 seems to make a believer out of most guys the first time around.

What experience do you have?
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I start all noobies with a .22 rifle or pistol, their choice. This usually is short term if I have a 1911 on hand and they see me shoot it. An AR 15 is also a crowd please'r. They offer low recoil and a big bang with noticeable damage on impact.

drrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Columbus, Indiana
    When my wife and I got married she had never shot a gun (I tried but she was really apprehensive). For Christmas I bought her a Walther P22 and she now begs me to go shooting! Some of my buddies who weren't gun guys seemed to enjoy shooting shotguns the most.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pretty hard to beat a .22, semi auto or revolver. Easy to shoot takes away a lot of fear.

I've been volunteering to teach the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) "First-Shots" program at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette.

Almost exclusively, we use the Ruger Mark III. I'd say 99% of all program participants are indeed "first-time" shooters, and of those I'd guess 99% are just ecstatic about having just shot and are already planning their next range trip.

It is amazing to me the percentage of participants that have stopped me in town MONTHS later and say,
    "My son/daughter/wife/girlfriend... and I took your First-Shots class back...
    I just picked up my first pistol. I got a ..."

I'm not joking. I bet I've been told that EXACT same tale, just change the names, at LEAST a dozen different times in the past three years.

It's a great feeling to help bring someone new to the sport, and get them started on the right foot.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    88mm_SKC30.jpg

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    22 hands down. If they are completely new and even scared, we start with my tuned Model-63 S&W with 22 shorts. From there, depending on aptitude and attitude, 22lr, 22 mags, and on up to the 44Mag. For some reason, that scoped SRH is a girl's dream gun. I've had newbie's put 300 rds through it in one session.:rockwoot:

Long guns, M-60 22lr, 410 pump, or OU 22lr/410, then up from there.

theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    I started with a single shot .22 and graduated shortly after to a .22 semi. There's just something about pluggin 15 rounds into a milk jug full of something that ramps you up. More thrill than my first illicit beer.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I have a P08 luger that was reworked by John Dewey that I've never had any one turn down taking a few shots with it. Back in the late 60' s and early 70's Dewey would restore the actions, lighten the triggers, put an 8 inch match barrel and a click adjustable rear sight on the toggle of lugar for bench rest shooters. Strange looking beast but it puts a smile on every ones face that's shot it.

The 2nd one that makes people smile is of all things a Highpoint 995 TS. Never had a person turn down shooting that one either.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom