• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just took delivery of a rocket I bought during Black Friday. I think it cost $64 shipped to my door. It’s too heavy to carry around because it’s made of stainless but stove and I’m always looking for alternative ways to eat water and cook if things go sideways:

I love my rocket stove. Bought mine earlier this year, as I was cutting up a huge storm dropped limb in the yard. Seemed foolish to be making a brush pile of fuel I could easily use to cook with, in the resulting power outage.

It's been fun learning the tips and tricks to run the rocket stove. After fighting around with decent ways to quickly start the stove, I melted an old candle into cardboard egg cartons. Just a dab of melted wax in the egg cup starts the sticks to burning quick, when lit with a grill lighter. I cut the waxed egg cups in two, might have gotten away cutting in quarters?

:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been telling myself for years that I was going to build a rocket stove. I have all the tools and scrap steel needed to make a nice one. I think it's s great option for a grid down method of cooking and purifying water. As far as a folding grill goes, I have an UCO folding stainless grill that packs up so small and flat that I keep it in the vehicle. I also keep a titanium wood stove in my backpack. Plenty of natural fuel around us in Indiana.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been telling myself for years that I was going to build a rocket stove...

That was my plan also. I ran into an Amazon daily deal though that couldn't be passed up.

1701720533490.png

I got this one for under $40. Couldn't hardly build one for that, much less beat a working model that wouldn't need trial and error. Easy to say yes to.

I liked this model so much, I bought another for my daughter. It was price dropped to $25. :thumbsup: Daughter didn't really embrace the odd birthday present, but I know she has it stuck away in her garage, complete with fire starters and a grill lighter. One day she'll drag out the crazy-assed dad gift, when storms again knock the power out.

Wish I'd have picked up a few more. FYI - There are all different sorts of these on Amazon, priced all over the place. It's worth putting the more competitively priced ones on your wish list. They'll often get you a notification or Amazon front page suggested when they are daily discounted.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I ordered another radio. Been thinking about making a parrot repeater to try out just so I know the capability. I have the stuff to make a rocket stove maybe this thread will help give me the kick in the butt to make it.

Also truly repented for my sins for the first time on tuesday and begged for forgiveness and accepted christ. I realized I was a hypocrite and decided I needed to make that change. I think that's the most important prepping decision I could make.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Also truly repented for my sins for the first time on tuesday and begged for forgiveness and accepted christ. I realized I was a hypocrite and decided I needed to make that change. I think that's the most important prepping decision I could make.
    That's the best thing you could have ever done. Great job and hopefully more folks do the same.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I ordered another radio. Been thinking about making a parrot repeater to try out just so I know the capability. I have the stuff to make a rocket stove maybe this thread will help give me the kick in the butt to make it.

Too cool

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The wife came back from the store today and she said prices are higher now than she has ever seen. Everything up across the board.

She walked in with 3 bags, no meat at all. $77.00.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Got a propane tank refilled. And maybe it's not that related to prepping but I paid off a credit card last week and am hoping to never use it again. Trying to get my debts cleared and get emergency funds built up. Not that prep related just getting my life in better order.
    That’s completely awesome. The best advice I can give you is cut the card up. That’s the only way to insure it doesn’t get used again.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Over the last month I have started working on getting some water gathering/purification items ordered. I was without water earlier this year for about a week due to a water line break and it was kind of a pain. Nothing that couldn't be easily solved by buying some 5 gallon water containers at the store but it got me thinking on what my plan would be if I lost the ability to get clean water from the tap indefinitely. Still waiting on some items to arrive but I've got a much better plan in place now and know what I need to do to improve on it going forward.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So my prepping has really fallen off quite a bit since I bought a house and got married. I have barely purchased anything new and I am still fairly unorganized with everything. I changed that a little this week. Two hardware stores near me have some extreme clearance deals going on so I stocked up on some random hardware that could come in handy. This includes another 4-way silcock key that I'm gonna keep in my wife's car. I need to buy a short length of hose and put it in her car to go with it.

I also watched a video this week on food prep. I feel like I am pretty good on that. My wife did a ton of canning this past year thanks to a bountiful harvest from our garden, and we are picking up our 1/4 beef this weekend so we will have a full freezer again.

I was very tempted by this deal at Costco: https://www.costco.com/mountain-hou...ment-28-total-servings.product.100642273.html but then I remembered I had purchased a bucket of Mountain House food at some point. I checked my Amazon history and I had. I realized that it was still at my parents house underneath the basement stairs. So I got that from their house this week and brought it home. Now I've got even better food prep here!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't buy the "buckets" of the meals because if they say 72 or 60 or however number of servings that sounds great. Then you look at the list and there's 10 "meals" of dehydrated milk or 20 "servings" of granola. I think one of those from a couple different vendors will add some variety if they ever get opened up and eaten, but otherwise I prefer to just buy the 10# cans for food in bulk.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That’s completely awesome. The best advice I can give you is cut the card up. That’s the only way to insure it doesn’t get used again.
    I agree….. but if shtf for real…… if there was any type of notice that card could be really valuable for a very short window. So I vote IF possible keep it and don’t use it

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We got a letter from the credit union stating that if we didn't use the credit card within a certain time they would cancel it.

Wife bought fuel and then paid the card off the next day so we still have it in case we need it.

Be mindful that if not used for a long period they might cancel the card.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I agree….. but if shtf for real…… if there was any type of notice that card could be really valuable for a very short window. So I vote IF possible keep it and don’t use it
    Might be able to set that one aside for real emergencies and have another "Debit only" card tied into the checking account. Using cash for items is a real eye opener also.

Top Bottom