• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    N.W.I.
    Also just put in an order to sell some stock options to finance some prepping. I'm just starting out, prepping that is. Formulating a plan. So far, I don't have much. I don't even know what I'm prepping for? Does it really matter? I just want to get self reliant in case of any type of civil unrest. Enough food & water for 6 mos. A few fire arms with ??? rounds of ammo.

What would be a good start? Guns & ammo or food & water?

I have a few hand guns, a couple hundred rounds of .45 & .22, also have several knives, a machete, a couple axes, bow & arrows, I think I have like 20 arrows. I also like to go camping, so I have lanterns and a stove, a couple cans of camp fuel.

I live in a highly populated area, should a plan on hunkering down or bugging out? I really don't have any where to go.

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I live in a big city also, I would stockpile on food, water, ammo, and hygien products. Talk to family members or friends that live closeby and come up with a plan for supporting each other if SHTF happens.
    Also just put in an order to sell some stock options to finance some prepping. I'm just starting out, prepping that is. Formulating a plan. So far, I don't have much. I don't even know what I'm prepping for? Does it really matter? I just want to get self reliant in case of any type of civil unrest. Enough food & water for 6 mos. A few fire arms with ??? rounds of ammo.

I have a few hand guns, a couple hundred rounds of .45 & .22, also have several knives, a machete, a couple axes, bow & arrows, I think I have like 20 arrows. I also like to go camping, so I have lanterns and a stove, a couple cans of camp fuel.

I live in a highly populated area, should a plan on hunkering down or bugging out? I really don't have any where to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Making some lists of stuff I need to pick up.
    Met with a friend last night to talk about the current state of the country and what we will do when something happens.
    Started looking into Ham portables for communications when they shut everything else down.

When you make a decision on what you will do on the radio's let me know. I am looking at this very hard.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    When you make a decision on what you will do on the radio's let me know. I am looking at this very hard.
    I think I'm going with the BeoFang UV5R Plus. You can get them pretty inexpensively off of Amazon, and they get good reviews. Also, in talking with a friend of mine that has them, you can use them on FRS frequencies as well, but because of the style radio they are, you get much more range out of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I'm going with the BeoFang UV5R Plus. You can get them pretty inexpensively off of Amazon, and they get good reviews. Also, in talking with a friend of mine that has them, you can use them on FRS frequencies as well, but because of the style radio they are, you get much more range out of them.

Thanks. I want something that is easy to use and common enough for communicating with others.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

This is what I have. Good handheld for the price, but a little tricky to program. The battery life is excellent. I figured I would start with something inexpensive and then work my way up if I find I'm using it a lot.

Here is a link to an article that talks about the UV5R.

http://www.streetarticles.com/radio/ham-radio-and-the-chinese-market

ham-radio-and-the-chinese-market-crop.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

IMHO it's good to be balanced between: Beans, Bullets & Bandaids.

Beans: Start with having 3 days supply of water & food, then when you have that, increase your supply to 3 weeks, then 3 months, then 6 months. Just add a few extra cans of food every time you go to the store and include a case of water. Do a little at a time so you don't blow your budget. In a while you will have accumulated quite a bit. Remember, baby steps.

Bullets: You already have a few handguns and ammo, as well as some other good tools. The next thing I would add is a good rifle and then a good but not real expensive shotgun for home defense like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Increase your ammo as your budget allows until you have at least 500 rounds for each handgun, 250 rounds for your shotgun and 1,000 rounds for your rifle. If you can try to have common ammo for handguns and rifles where it makes sense. Others may disagree with me, but this is just what I would work towards in the next 6-9 months. Consider some training. Appleseed is a good place to start.

Bandaids: Make your own first aid kit, or buy a decent one and add to it. You'll want bandages, gauze, iodine, pain killers like ibruprofen, tylenol and aspirin. Add any prescription meds you and your family need. Your FAK should have enough supplies for all family members. Also, get some first aid training if you don't already have it.

Finally, search this forum. There is a lot of useful information here and people who know a whole lot more than I do.

Good Luck!

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Spent way too much money on things that go bang. My wife told me to cool it or she will rearrange my anatomy. Nuff said about that I guess.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Got 25 gallon jugs of water, 300 small rifle primers, 500 hornady z-max (reloading bullets), 2500rds of .22.

This puts me at 125 gallons of water 1500 small rifle primers, 100 z-max, and 5,000 .22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    N.W.I.
    Thanks Justin Case, good tips.

I am CPR trained and do have an extensive, customized 1st aid kit. A lot of it is not in a regular kit. Mine has a roll of duct tape, tampons, maxi pads, garbage bags, are things that I added. I keep every thing in a tackle box. The feminine products are sterile and hold a lot of blood, wrap with a plastic bag and secure with the duct tape until you can get patient to a pro.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Traded some old Ammo that my father in Law gave me that I did not have guns for, got some pullets to reload in their place. Thats it so far this week, just tweaking priorities due to the climate in Washington and everywhere else!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This last week I've made a open invitation to all my friends on facebook to take them to a range and show them about guns. I've offered to provide all the safety equipment and cover all the costs. I've made it clear that political pride & ego will be set aside and we'll just discuss the facts while gaining some first hand experience on the discussion. I told them we'd shoot the kind of rifles everyone's talking about, some pistols, and a long range rifle out to 1000 yards. I really hoped that that I'd get some open minded liberals to take me up on the offer, but the joke is really on me if I'm looking for an open minded liberal.

Otherwise, I've got a cousin bringing me a box full of parts on Saturday and we're going to sit down at my reloading table together and build a PSA Dissipator together. I'm going to teach him everything I know about how that weapon works, and he'll leave knowing that gun inside and out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This last week I've made a open invitation to all my friends on facebook to take them to a range and show them about guns. I've offered to provide all the safety equipment and cover all the costs. I've made it clear that political pride & ego will be set aside and we'll just discuss the facts while gaining some first hand experience on the discussion. I told them we'd shoot the kind of rifles everyone's talking about, some pistols, and a long range rifle out to 1000 yards. I really hoped that that I'd get some open minded liberals to take me up on the offer, but the joke is really on me if I'm looking for an open minded liberal.

Otherwise, I've got a cousin bringing me a box full of parts on Saturday and we're going to sit down at my reloading table together and build a PSA Dissipator together. I'm going to teach him everything I know about how that weapon works, and he'll leave knowing that gun inside and out.

Have you gotten any takers at all????

I have been getting a lot of requests from folks who never showed the slightest interests in shooting. Did not post up anywhere, just people who know we shoot and they want some help.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Have you gotten any takers at all????

I have been getting a lot of requests from folks who never showed the slightest interests in shooting. Did not post up anywhere, just people who know we shoot and they want some help.

I've had several people who were interested. Two people who are old friends from years past were interested, but I don't think either would be the "right" influence to have around while introducing a new shooter who's feeling vurnerable. I had another hardcore republican party guy who's never shot or had an interest in it, but wouldn't mind giving it a try and another guy similar to that.

What I did get is that a whole bunch of people read the offer and liked it. Several people commented on it and thanked me for offering to help educate people. If nothing else it was good public relations for the gun world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom