• Status
    Not open for further replies.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Never considered coffee... Thinking if I had to hole up for a month or so if this Ebola thing gets around here, that would be a necessary item.

Also, what sort of masks are best for this type of thing? I have some Israeli Civilian Gas Mask w/ Nato Filters that I picked up a year or so ago, but something more compact and comfortable might also be nice to have on-hand. Is N95 the rating to look for?

The EMS company I work for has given us the N95 mask should the need arise. Just remember you need to shave and have a smooth face for it to really be effective. You may want to invest in some blade razors if you only have an electric only at home.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Ebola is transmitted through direct contact. If you're using a mask to protect yourself from Ebola, be sure you understand protocol in use/disposal of gloves, robes, etc. (I.e. It's not like the flu. Hand washing doesn't seem to help. Get it on your skin and it's in.

Havent looked at at this myself, but maybe a chlorine wash prior to taking anything off. Sounds like the medical workers get it through errors taking things off. Touching their face with the gloves taking off a mask, touching the outside of the gloves with their naked hands, etc.

Preps this week:
    food rotation
    3mile run
    found a dog its owner (made a friend? That's a prep, right?)
    minor engine repair (no more check engine light)
    Seasonal car supply swap

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just put 100 pounds of potatoes and 50# of onions in the root cellar. Picked more apples for eating. I have plenty of applesauce and cider canned. Pies are in the freezer. Tomatoes canned (diced, juice and homemade v8). Half bushel of garlic (that is necessary here) dried and ready to use. More garlic peeled and frozen in olive oil to go through the press and additional fermenting in honey. Lots of alcohol and special recipes fermenting here and there around the basement:): Way more than we can drink but good bartering material if needed.

Thinking about canning water in some of my empty canning jars in case it is needed in the event of a power outage. Still trying to find a time to get a hand pump installed where it won't freeze so we have water in the event that there is no gas for the generator. Plenty of firewood split, stacked and dried to heat the house and outbuildings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This "Ebola" thing is given us reason to be concerned. We have ramped up putting in foods to feed the young ones. G-daughters. Some foods for my allergic G-daughter.
    Also stepping up on the canned goods etc.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Still working on getting all my wood split. Got three cords split, about one and a half of which is stacked in my breezeway, right outside my door. Still got a lot left to split, though.

Got all three of my kerosene heaters cleaned up, filled, and lit to make sure they're working well. Also, emptied and cleaned out my 55 gallon kerosene drum. Ready to re-fill.

My wife has been really busy, canning apples; apples, apple sauce, apple butter. Pears and pear sauce. She's dried apples and a bunch of Anaheim and poblano peppers. I think she's filled every jar we have on the place with vegetables, pork, beef, apples, and pears. Nice to go into the winter with a full pantry.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I picked up a half of hog for the freezer today. I got a dozen freshly butchered chickens last Saturday and a half a beef earlier this year so we are set for meat. Also have a bunch of bluegill frozen from our days spent fishing this summer.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Been a little busy over the last couple weeks.

More canned food and bottled water for the house.
    Took more food, water, first aid, toiletries, etc to the retreat.
    Just about have secondary power wired in and hooked up at the retreat.

I decided to stop by the 1500 today since I hadn't been in a while. I had a list of items I was looking for, and I was able to put a huge check mark next to the Israeli bandages when I found the guy I normally buy them from. He was selling them for $2 each. I bought a couple dozen to divide among myself and others in my group. I also bought a handful of his CAT tourniquets at $6 each

Other than those items, I bought a couple pieces for my rifles I have been wanting and some more 00.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    Added more cans and boxes to the food room and some silver bars to the "bank." Thinking of adding an AK-47 to the arsenal but still am undecided.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Going for another truck load of wood today. This will fill all the storage I made this last summer. Last winter showed us how ill prepared we were.

Putting in several more gallon jugs of distilled water for cooking/hygiene

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Managed to get the secondary power hooked up and working at the retreat. I feel a lot better now having another source of power there in case we need to head that way. I also wired in some LED lights to the batteries, pre-inverter, to use as a more efficient means of lighting than the fluorescent lights.

Next on the list is to get a pitcher pump put together as another "just in case."

I also got a friend more interested in being prepared. We will see how that goes and if he becomes reliable support.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Managed to get the secondary power hooked up and working at the retreat. I feel a lot better now having another source of power there in case we need to head that way. I also wired in some LED lights to the batteries, pre-inverter, to use as a more efficient means of lighting than the fluorescent lights.

Next on the list is to get a pitcher pump put together as another "just in case."

I also got a friend more interested in being prepared. We will see how that goes and if he becomes reliable support.

One has to be committed to the discipline.
    Is this the invertor we were discussing??

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom