• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    I have taken on more responsibilities at work and haven't been prepping as much in the last 6 months. I'm glad I hit the food storage, guns, ammo, and medical supplies hard in the beginning. I finally got some time the other day to stop by my favorite store and got some more dry beans, salt, sugar, and soap. It really felt good and now I have the fire again. Also in the last 6 months, I've lost 50lbs, hitting the weight room regularly, and running 5-8 miles a week.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    I have taken on more responsibilities at work and haven't been prepping as much in the last 6 months. I'm glad I hit the food storage, guns, ammo, and medical supplies hard in the beginning. I finally got some time the other day to stop by my favorite store and got some more dry beans, salt, sugar, and soap. It really felt good and now I have the fire again. Also in the last 6 months, I've lost 50lbs, hitting the weight room regularly, and running 5-8 miles a week.

I was in a similar boat regarding a slump, though mine lasted much longer. But, I was in a decent place because of what I have done in the past. I am preparing for a future move within the next year I hope, so I am not focusing on adding "stuff". To the contrary, we are eating some of the canned foods, cleaning out the pantry, etc.

But what I have done recently to prep was start a blog. Just this weekend in fact. I haven't gotten far enough to distribute the address and promote it, I am waiting until I have more content.

With this blog/youtube channel I intend on doing some thoughts and how-to videos. I have done one on making string cheese, and as the weather gets colder I will do at least a couple on canning. I also picked up a cheap shotgun barrel, so I'll be doing another video on how to cut down a shotgun barrel, both with a hack saw and with a lathe.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After moving a year ago I was finally able to get the weighted base for my punching bag into the basement. I needed somebody equal to or greater than my own strength and since my friends and neighbors are sissies I had to wait for my brother. Now that's in the basement and the punching bag is put together and getting beat up. Between my wife and I our weight is still going down, and exercise is going up. I think that's the way it's supposed to be. This morning my wife and I actually got up early and worked out this morning together which was really nice. She was on the treadmill, and I was working on stretching, punches and kicks. I didn't realize how much of my flexibility I had lost in the last year, but I want it all back and I'll get it.

Spent some dry practice time with my AR drawing up from the slung position to getting on target. Spent some time doing the same thing with my G26.

I didn't buy a thing.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Sold one truck and bought a 97 dodge ram 12 valve diesel, manual trans. It'll run on about anything remotely diesel, and can be started without a battery if necessary. Filled some more slots in the can racks, and bought some vaccum sealer bags. Gotta get some stuff sealed, and hopefully a sealing a deer soon!

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    I was in a similar boat regarding a slump, though mine lasted much longer. But, I was in a decent place because of what I have done in the past. I am preparing for a future move within the next year I hope, so I am not focusing on adding "stuff". To the contrary, we are eating some of the canned foods, cleaning out the pantry, etc.

But what I have done recently to prep was start a blog. Just this weekend in fact. I haven't gotten far enough to distribute the address and promote it, I am waiting until I have more content.

With this blog/youtube channel I intend on doing some thoughts and how-to videos. I have done one on making string cheese, and as the weather gets colder I will do at least a couple on canning. I also picked up a cheap shotgun barrel, so I'll be doing another video on how to cut down a shotgun barrel, both with a hack saw and with a lathe.

Good luck with the move and the blog!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Watched new training film " World War Z" ... my wife now thinks we need food storage...I think we need more ammo...and range time!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Processed about ten gallons of in-shell wild pecans and hickory nuts. Started with acorns, but too much work.

Added more canned goods, jar goods, hygiene supplies, ammo and TP to the basement cache.

Bought another carbine for off-site storage.

Took my oldest down for her fancy fingerprint scan so she can get her LTCH.

Added crank type flashlights to the other vehicles as well as in bedrooms as needed.

Rotated gasoline, still need to check on my diesel reserves.

Watching the snow fall this morning reminded me to put cold weather gear back in the vehicles.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have started amping up my workouts. More intensity, more pain, discomfort. Pushing it. I'm having to carefully balance output, food and sleep to avoid overtraining at age 47. But its working. The steel is hardening.

2 dryfire sessions G19, Shotgun and AK

1 Fight Night-focus mitts, drills, disarms, heavy bag and sparring

1 range session. Ran some two and four man team break contact drills, with coms and medical problems thrown into the shooting.

Brewed 5 gallons of chocolate cayenne stout (is that a prep?)

Bucked and split a bunch of oak for firewood.

Bought some H bandages (flatpack, thin H-awesome!) , some TKs and some meds.

Practiced my knots, underwater.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Had another decent trip to Meijer, used a bunch of coupons and loaded up on more canned goods. They were also running a sale on Jif peanut butter, 16 oz jars for $1.49, limit 4, so we did 2 transactions and got 8 jars.

I get some funny looks from people while sorting through a big stack of coupons in the store, but I always score some great deals on food and other necessary items. I also am always scanning for close out items, and have saved a great deal of money buying that sort of stuff.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Winterized the chicken kennel , prepped the grain garden for winter tillage. Bought a diesel Jetta...I know, not much of a BOV, but I think I can store diesel longer than gasohol 10%.
    So far it's reporting 43mpg...so a full tank and 4/5gal cans will get me to San Antonio...

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Ran the genny to keep the carb in shape and stir up and use some of the old gas.

Tested the hammock winter rig and sleeping gear over night in 27* weather.

Lived without a phone, internet, TV, electricity, and common sense all weekend. (was in TN visiting in-laws. Lots of campfires and shine)

Learned how to properly roast a whole hog over a fire.

Got one of the cars back from the shop and back in running shape.

Bought a new pair of really nice Keen Boots that I am super excited about.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Did the fall plowing, tilled up a new spot for quinoa...started purging old gas from the power equipment, prepping them for winter storage...power washed a drum for diesel storage...

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    You should really consider Pri-g, it seems to keep gas fresher longer. I use Sta-Bil in the short term supplies and PriG and PriD in the long term supply.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom