Not open for further replies.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, THIS week got in another gallon of rechargeable desiccant to spread around between the 60gal drums of stores, gun safes and ammo cans. Also, chopped and split 6 wheelbarrows of firewood.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what I said day before yesterday...

I am way past cutting and splitting wood. BIL has the woods. He and I used to do all the cutting/splitting/loading/stacking/equipment maint. Etc....free heat my butt.....:)

He is over it so he sold his tractor/spliter/saws. I found good wood at a fair price so now I just load and stack. At my age thats enough. Might sell one of my saws.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, by no means is it free heat; just reliable. Swinging an ax and splitter is good exercise though...or at least it's productive exercise.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    HI all. New to this forum.

This weekend, I'm working on preserving a it of our garden. I didn't do a good job with it this year. More specifically, I didn't fence out the Muscovies who discovered they love tomatoes (just the day before I was going to use hundreds of them to can salsa, spaghetti sauce, and chili.) Sigh. Next year, the garden will have a poultry netting for a while.

But for now I'm still going to freeze some pesto and can some peppers. Maybe can applesauce if I can find enough apples. Last year, the wild trees were loaded. This year, not so much.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    HI all. New to this forum.

This weekend, I'm working on preserving a it of our garden. I didn't do a good job with it this year. More specifically, I didn't fence out the Muscovies who discovered they love tomatoes (just the day before I was going to use hundreds of them to can salsa, spaghetti sauce, and chili.) Sigh. Next year, the garden will have a poultry netting for a while.

But for now I'm still going to freeze some pesto and can some peppers. Maybe can applesauce if I can find enough apples. Last year, the wild trees were loaded. This year, not so much.

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't think ducks would eat tomatoes, but live and learn, I guess. I had planted some white dent corn this year and I was surprised to see the blue-jays going after the ears, pecked a bunch of them up. My wife has canned a ton of apple sauce, apples, pears, pear sauce, along with the beans, tomatoes, and beets.

I also grew some quinoa this year, just as an experiment, and I had to cut the plants a little early and hang them in the breezeway to dry because the birds were going after that also.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    bought more wise food / nitrogen packed, 25 year shelf life - better than 6 yr shelf life of MRE

That is 6 years if stored in proper temperature. The hotter it is, the shorter they are "good". However, they are still edible after they "expire", just may not taste all that fantastic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, by no means is it free heat; just reliable. Swinging an ax and splitter is good exercise though...or at least it's productive exercise.

Haha...yup, it is good for the soul. 1st year we did the wood thing I got a smoking deal on a very nice stove. Bought all the stainless triple wall required and installed it. Had 1 saw but 1 is never enough so I bought another. then we bought a 16" saw to trim with and I sold the older saw to ingo member IndyJohn. Then we bought splitting ax/chopping axes. Add in the fuel for the truck/saws and such it is anything but free....:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My prep lately is to purge all my my unnecessary "stuff" from the man cave. Too many things have collected over the years and it's time for a purge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My prep lately is to purge all my my unnecessary "stuff" from the man cave. Too many things have collected over the years and it's time for a purge.

We have (well, me) have been on the purge cycle for a while. Be careful not to get zealous and dispose of something that actually may be needed/used. I have done this.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We have (well, me) have been on the purge cycle for a while. Be careful not to get zealous and dispose of something that actually may be needed/used. I have done this.

Right now I'm on the fence about purging a rifle & a crossbow. With bow season soon to open up I doubt I'm going to get out there this year. I also know if I sell it I'll probably regret it next year if I did have time to get out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom