• Status
    Not open for further replies.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Since we are on the subject and he is one of my favorite Youtubers, here are a couple more of Nutnfancy's prepping videos. As 223 Gunner said, they are quite lengthy.

[video=youtube;pcE5x3X6TQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcE5x3X6TQ4[/video]

[video=youtube;TZkqp7VR-zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZkqp7VR-zM[/video]

[video=youtube;RpDcFeOkI8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDcFeOkI8A[/video]

[video=youtube;JTJXaxROOuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJXaxROOuE[/video]

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Spent 3 days at the Indy 1500 and only bought coffee instead of over priced garbage.
    Loved the "new" 30 rd AR mags with jammed anti tilt follower and powder residue on the followers!

Bob

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Put in Bulk Rice.
    Put in Bulk beans.
    More water....always more water.
    Found some dark chocolate that seems to have a good shelf life. A treat when the world sucks might be a welcome thing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Spent a couple of days camping and hiking with the family at Turkey Run. It was a good excuse to check on the base camp water filter, replacement filters and cleaning kit.

Ordered 1k rnds of 7.62NATO.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Processed a couple of roosters. First time I had done any type of fowl, so some good learning and experience gained.

Oh, and put up some bulk oats.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Cleaned and prepped the kerosene heaters for the coming season. I have cleaned and restored a few for friends and family this summer and will deliver them before the chill hits. Also found four 5 gallon K1 cans at thrift stores in the past week.

Makes me happy that my friends and family have noticed that I am not nuts and there are issues/situations in this world they should prepare for.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Spouse picked up at sams. Not repackaged as yet.

The rice was in 5# packages as were the beans.
    I am looking at ways to seal/store it as I am somewhat new to storing rice/beans in bulk.

I throw the beans and rice into the freezer overnight to kill any critters that may have taken up residence inside the bags.
    Throw desired amount into vacuum bags with a desiccant and seal.
    I don't put back alot of dried rice and beans as these kinds of food can deplete a good amount of my stored water when preparing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I throw the beans and rice into the freezer overnight to kill any critters that may have taken up residence inside the bags.
    Throw desired amount into vacuum bags with a desiccant and seal.
    I don't put back alot of rice and beans as these kinds of food can deplete a good amount of my stored water.

True on the water but they are good fillers when you are feeding a crew like mine.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    True on the water but they are good fillers when you are feeding a crew like mine.
    Understood........100%
    Just so you know you have an option, beans take to canning very well. I can quite a few quarts every fall once I see how many jars didn't get filled with venison. I'll can chili and stews as well as ham and beans.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Spouse picked up at sams. Not repackaged as yet.

The rice was in 5# packages as were the beans.
    I am looking at ways to seal/store it as I am somewhat new to storing rice/beans in bulk.

Save your 2-liter bottles. A 10 lb bag fills 5-6 bottles.

20150831_214812_zpsgxhtuvl6.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understood........100%
    Just so you know you have an option, beans take to canning very well. I do quite a few quarts every fall once I see how many jars didn't get filled with venison. I'll can chili and stews as well as ham and beans.

Never been one to do much canning. We have looked into it but just never made the leap.

We do freeze chili's and stews as we have the freezer space and back up power that will carry us for a good while. 1st things to get eaten are in the freezer.
    We started freezing grapes. They are a great treat for the terrorists (avatar) and seem to keep for a long while.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Understood........100%
    Just so you know you have an option, beans take to canning very well. I can quite a few quarts every fall once I see how many jars didn't get filled with venison. I'll can chili and stews as well as ham and beans.

Yup...lots of good beans soup recipes for home canners out there too...Rural King has 1/2 gallon canning jars on sale.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a base group of 6 adults and 4 (8) and under kids with one on the way. Soups/stews etc will be the order of the day. Water storage is 1st on the list

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom