Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    yes, I'be been making my own yeast bread for years. Buy the bulk pack at the wholesale club and leave it unopened on the shelf or in the freezer after opening: last for years

I've also experimented with "catching" live yeast by leaving the flour and water out. Results are variable, but it's definitely doable. If you get in that situation it would be ideal to save a bit of dough each time for a starter for the next batch.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I put an offer in on a house last night. This would be our first. One big selling point was that the house was already set up for a generator and had the required supporting electrical infrastructure . I made sure to add the generator that was sitting in the garage as a condition of the sale. Would be nice to cross two HUGE preps off the list in one go.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Good deal for you. I too bought another house yesterday. This one will be completely gutted and added to. will be a down size on the house but added more land.

Best thing about this one is that there is already a concrete bunker built into the basement. Hopefully that will help to keep us from traveling to Oz any time soon.

Going to miss the place I have now, but once I build the new one to suite I am sure it will be a better stepping stone. No more pond but more land for growing stuff and maybe even a small range for impromptu target practice.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Ran the generator, but realized there's something less-than-ideal about having to start it using jumper cables from the truck. I guess my lawn mower battery isn't robust enough? The owner's manual doesn't say anything about battery specs...

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Received the coffee order I put in on the 22nd of last month. Also, ordered 12 jars of chili powder online. (Stores around here not carrying it any more.) We're set for a few years at least. lol

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I just picked up a manual 'coffee mill'. It was manufactured by Henry Troemner and is a Star Mill #7. It was manufactured in Philadelphia circa 1885, it stands 27" tall with twin 15" wheels. The #7 stands high enough to put #10 cans under the outlet on the bottom. It is in excellent original condition with very good paint, other than dust it's almost new. While these were marketed as coffee mills it has a grit adjustment that runs from coarse to a fine which is flour fine. They were used in the day to grind almost anything you needed ground including dried corn for cornmeal and bone for bone meal.

This would have been the type of mill you would have seen in a grocery or general store in the late 1800's. Troemner started selling electric mills in 1902.

I'm looking forward to trying it to grind grains for my home brew! Coffee too...

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    Bought a # 10 electric can machine earlier this year but it needed a motor. Bought a motor for it finally. Now to buy some #10 cans. Anyone have a source for #10 cans ?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Bought a # 10 electric can machine earlier this year but it needed a motor. Bought a motor for it finally. Now to buy some #10 cans. Anyone have a source for #10 cans ?
    I think the LDS store sells them but I have no idea if it's a good price or not.
    What kind of price range do these machines fall into?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just picked up a manual 'coffee mill'. It was manufactured by Henry Troemner and is a Star Mill #7. It was manufactured in Philadelphia circa 1885, it stands 27" tall with twin 15" wheels. The #7 stands high enough to put #10 cans under the outlet on the bottom. It is in excellent original condition with very good paint, other than dust it's almost new. While these were marketed as coffee mills it has a grit adjustment that runs from coarse to a fine which is flour fine. They were used in the day to grind almost anything you needed ground including dried corn for cornmeal and bone for bone meal.

This would have been the type of mill you would have seen in a grocery or general store in the late 1800's. Troemner started selling electric mills in 1902.

I'm looking forward to trying it to grind grains for my home brew! Coffee too...

A bone meal grinder........Wow.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A bone meal grinder........Wow.

We used it this weekend and found that if you grind almonds coarse you get nice crumbly bits for baking; and if you grind them fine it goes right past flour to almond paste and you get...cleaning...much cleaning. Thankfully it was made to open up for that fairly easily.

Note to self: do not grind nuts on the finest setting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We used it this weekend and found that if you grind almonds coarse you get nice crumbly bits for baking; and if you grind them fine it goes right past flour to almond paste and you get...cleaning...much cleaning. Thankfully it was made to open up for that fairly easily.

Note to self: do not grind nuts on the finest setting.

So much I could do with this but........:):

If memory serves my great G-paw had something like what you have.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So much I could do with this but........:):

If memory serves my great G-paw had something like what you have.

I should have stuck with almonds...but thought I'd expand to include walstuff, pecans, hazelstuff...but no...I need a better editor. It's now actually pretty funny.

It's too bad all these really useful tools were abandoned for the newest and latest thing that made them 'obsolete'.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been trying to do a better job of straightening up my gear, organizing it, and getting ready to purge the excess. Too many years of little parts and pieces adding up that I need to have go away. I've taken a fresh look at my ammo inventory since I wasn't completely squared away on that. Next up is to go through the AK mags and sort out which ones work like they're supposed to and which ones aren't worth a darn. I have plenty of new production Yugo bolt hold up mags that aren't worth the grease that was sprayed on them.

Did some training with the M1A scout. Reacting to contact, dismounting from a vehicle, bounding drills with right minded patriots, worked on comms and medical.

Continuing at the gym, and feeling a renewed sense of energy for working out. The crossfit open has started and I can compare my score to other guys my age, in my state and let's just say I'm not exactly in the upper half of the scoreboard. That's lit a fire under me.

Campfire with the kids last night. Honestly one of the best nights I've ever had with my kids as far as all of us enjoying it. I spent the night splitting some firewood into some kindling as they were telling ghost stories around the campfire and we were all laughing. I was grateful for the night we had and not sure how many more nights like that I'll get with them before they all grow up. Counting your blessings is a prep.

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    I think the LDS store sells them but I have no idea if it's a good price or not.

They are expensive dusty88. I have seen my model for about 1200 $ and hand crank ones around half. Found mine at a flea market, it needed work.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Major rotation of canned goods, Smoked most of a hog we butchered last week, Butchered and vacuum packed a whole beef 2 weeks ago, Getting ready to build a couple more raised beds for the garden area too. Wife got all her heirloom seeds ordered for the garden. since retirement i have been pretty busy it seems would never had the time to butcher ourselves if i was still employed working 7 days a week

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Hi Dusty, just saw this. They run the gamut depending on who is selling it and whether they think it works or not. The one I bought didn't 'work right' when I got it but that's because somebody dropped a 7/16" nut into it, perhaps in a bid to talk the price down. Apparently, no one knew how to service the machine and so it sat waiting to be turned into a lamp or some such. It took me about a day of looking at it and trying to understand the design followed by about 5 minutes of work to fix it. Manuals do not exist.

For functioning machines that are rusty and used I've seen starting prices of $400, I've seen sites that offer decent ones averaging over $1,000. I paid much closer to the rusty used price for a machine that looks newish for an 1885 manufacture, but I saw it, tried it out, then went home to see what they were selling for before coming back a month later to buy it (and the price had dropped again). I could have been buying a lamp but I didn't think so. I just hope I never need to find spare parts.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Major rotation of canned goods, Smoked most of a hog we butchered last week, Butchered and vacuum packed a whole beef 2 weeks ago, Getting ready to build a couple more raised beds for the garden area too. Wife got all her heirloom seeds ordered for the garden. since retirement i have been pretty busy it seems would never had the time to butcher ourselves if i was still employed working 7 days a week

A hog and a beef...that's some serious stored meat. I am envious of your freezer capacity!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom