What if "no private sales at gun shows" goes through...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If my understanding is correct, and please correct me if I'm wrong, then part of some of this proposed legislation would be to somehow "close the gun show loophole". Essentially it would outlaw the private sale of firearms at gun shows (but not necessarily ban it outright outside of gun shows).

My question: What constitutes "at a gun show"? Inside the venue itself? The venue and immediately adjacent grounds / parking lots? Any/all parking facilities serving said gun show?

Bear with me here -

Say legislation is passed.

How hard would it be to use the newly-created loopholes to still stay perfectly legal?

Go across the street and conduct a private sale? Stand in the parking lot and conduct a private sale? Never purchase admission to the gun show itself, stand outside the door and conduct a private sale?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To piggyback on this, Manchin also mentioned "internet sales".

We all know official internet sales require FFL... but maybe they're focusing on sites like INGO, where we connect in the Classifieds, meet up, and sell without a BG check.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    everyone should defy it if it goes through. as another member mentioned however im sure ingo would try to enforce it.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    To piggyback on this, Manchin also mentioned "internet sales".

We all know official internet sales require FFL... but maybe they're focusing on sites like INGO, where we connect in the Classifieds, meet up, and sell without a BG check.

Manchin right now is specifically saying that it's any sale that originates via the Internet. Online classifieds would be subject to NICS.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    gun shows in other states don't allow patrons to bring guns from home . can only come to buy a gun . Most don't allow you to bring in any type of ammo also .

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    T-S-M ... still allows private sales - just requires FFL NICS from what I read.
    No I'm not for it
    but I dont' want misinformation spread.

Also - the Q? might be - if LTCH (CCW permit equivalent) is OK for substituting UBC at a FFL - would it be OK for private sale?

I am not supporting ... too many issues remain.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is gun show and curtilage in the bill.

How hard would it be to use the newly-created loopholes to still stay perfectly legal?

You would have to use your shoes.:D

Simply walk off the grounds of the gun show.

Like I've said earlier the only thing Toomey-Manchin would do is to make 38th Street more diffucult to drive down during Indy1500 shows.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Manchin right now is specifically saying that it's any sale that originates via the Internet. Online classifieds would be subject to NICS.

Not just the gun shows and internet. You cant advertise a gun for sale anywhere. You cant even post it on a bulletion board at work..

It says.....

"pursuant to an advertisement, posting, display or other listing on the Internet OR in a publication by the transferor of his intent to transfer, or the transferee of his intent to acquire, the firearm.

Emphasis is mine...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thank goodness nobody ever sold a gun from the trunk of their car (seen at a lot of places, grocery stores, factories, flea markets..............damn near anyplace a car could be parked)
    ;)

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    I think more guns have been sold in Walmart's parking lot then actually inside the store. Facebook could become a gateway to sell guns. Then do we close the "Facebook loop-hole"?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    T-S-M ... still allows private sales - just requires FFL NICS from what I read.
    No I'm not for it
    but I dont' want misinformation spread.

I believe it requires more than picking up a phone and calling in a NICS... it requires the FFL to put it in their books as if part of their inventory, do the NICS, the 4473, then complete the "sale."

Remember, the "gunshow loophole" is really a registration via 4473 loophole... if this were about UBCs, the bill would make calling in a NICS mandatory and make it available for anyone to call in to verify a buyer. They want the paper trail.

-rvb

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Not just the gun shows and internet. You cant advertise a gun for sale anywhere. You cant even post it on a bulletion board at work..

It says.....

"pursuant to an advertisement, posting, display or other listing on the Internet OR in a publication by the transferor of his intent to transfer, or the transferee of his intent to acquire, the firearm.

Emphasis is mine...

I just reported what he said. That language is way the hell too vague.

Top Bottom