What influences you decision to buy one gun over some other gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I am curious as to what priorites other gun-owners use to decide to buy one firearm over another, or others.
    Some of the contributing factors, not in any order here, could be-

Appearance/condition,
    New vs Used,
    Caliber,
    Size,
    Popularity,
    Price,
    Scarcity,
    emotional attachment,
    Brand,
    Peer Pressure,
    IMPULSE,
    Seller's influence...

and I am sure there are other factor's that some folks consider before buying.

For me Appearance and condition mean a lot. I don't have a lot of gunsmithing skills...I can clean them and shoot them, but tearing one down to the base pieces is beyond me...so I look for "above the fixer-upper" level.

Price is a factor, but not the top issue. I watch the price indicators for a particular model...the Blue Book and an average of the varius dealers and auction sites for similar guns. That way I can judge a ball-park value before I get serious about buying.

Right now I have more 22's than my family can use. So caliber does play a role in my purchasing. I am not a fan of the .25 or.380 caliber, so I don't look at them much. Same goes for most of the big caliber rifles. I have owned and sold 45-70's, 444 Marlin, 35 Rem, and won't invest in them again. I do like the same guns in 44 mag and 45 LC with revolvers in the same caliber to do matched set shooting. The only 'odd caliber' I keep is my Tokarev 7.62x25mm and that is for emotional attachment (RVN war trophy)

I skip some Brands and/or styles based on my personal likes and dislikes.
    Same for most Polymer guns...Just personal taste so don'tjump my case, please.

OK, let's make it simple. Please list you priorities for picking out a firearm for purchase. List them, or explain them if you want to, but let's share some thoughts here, please.
    AL:ingo:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll play.

1. Quality
    2. Application(what am I going to use it for)
    3. Caliber
    4. Action type
    5. Brand
    6. Looks
    7. Price

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't NEED any more guns. My problem is I window shop a lot. I know "Cool" and when I see it I check it out. Price is usually the final deciding factor. I will evaluate a gun thoroughly before I get to the price point.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    All depends on how I'm feeling on the day I buy a gun. If I'm feeling frisky it's an impulse buy, if I'm seriously shopping it price, reliability, reputation.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    for me? particularity, style and history. i love old school steel and muzzleloaders. i also like guns that you just add ammo and go like revolvers and most shotguns

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For me appearance means absolutely nothing. Ny guns are tools, and a tool works the same even if it has some scratch's.

I start out with a purpose in mind. This typically gives me a caliber, and platform. Then I figure price range, and decide how much of a priority the purpose is.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I guess for me it depends on what I'm going to use the gun for. Different criteria for different applications. :twocents:

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    For myself it varies.. First can I take a wood chuck with this? Then I look at cost. If I cant afford it, it doesn't matter about the rest. Caliber is next does it fit into what I have or am I going to have to spend money on a new ammo supply. I am seriously looking into a .45 but cost will be a factor so I will more than likely jump into a Turkish .45 to start with or maybe hold out for a Rock Island.. But I can't stand the plain Jane look so will more than likely wait till I can get something with moveable sites.. But I have seen some good deals on polymer guns that may move me in that direction. Weapons are tools to me, I will not buy a safe queen because I know I will wear on it or scratch it.. So I will look at a quality named used gun..:twocents:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I don't NEED any more guns. My problem is I window shop a lot. I know "Cool" and when I see it I check it out. Price is usually the final deciding factor. I will evaluate a gun thoroughly before I get to the price point.

I'm pretty much in halfmiler's camp here. What I already have serves a purpose. Since those needs are met, I do tend to browse, and likewise do my homework before I take the plunge.

Once in awhile, this tactic ends up bumping a different gun out of my rotation. I'm still a bit new to shooting, and find that as my tastes and knowledge about different options change, I end up with something that serves a purpose better that I hadn't considered in the past.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I buy a gun based on a need. For example, if I want a squirrel gun, I get a .22. If I want a personally protection handgun, I'm likely going to look for a .45.

Then I figure out which one feels best in my hands. Some seem like they fit the bill and will be perfect, but I hate them when I pick them up. This just happened to me with the savage mkii .22. Seemed like the perfect gun until I got to hold one. Felt flimsy and junky to me. Plus, I held it side by side with a cz 452, which feels like it's built like a center fire rifle, while the mkii felt like...well, it felt like a .22. Needless to say, I walked out with the 452.

Cosmetic condition is sometimes a factor. If I'm buying a hunting gun or a new ccw handgun, I could care less what it looks like as long as it functions 110%. It's just going to get beaten up anyway. If it's a range toy/safe queen, I like to buy pristine guns.

Price has little effect on my decisions. If I want it and don't have the money, I just charge it. Just kidding...I save my money up like a responsible adult. It just may take me a few more months to get what I want. But in my experience, I'm better off saving up for what I want instead of settling on something cheaper.

I'm also very biased on brand. I won't allow a Taurus, keltec, hi point, etc... in my safe.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like cars, guns just speak to me sometimes, can't really explain it. They follow me home if I've got the money.:)

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    And sometimes, it just the gun itself. I knew what I wanted, found a new one at a good price, and bought it. Yes, it brings back memories of the M-14 rifles I carried for four years in the US Army in the late 60s. But, when I saw this new Springfield Armory M-1A listed, I didn't think twice... I bought it!

I got my .380 Bersa Thunder based on a Bersa Model 97 I bought seven months earlier as my first ever gun purchase. The GSG 1911-22 was bought
    15 months after I was first shown one at the range. My two Mosins and my 1985 Chilean Mauser, because of the history behind them.

Sometimes you just want what you see...

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Got an xdm because of feel,reviews,looks,price meeh not so much.
    Then xds bc i like xd and wanted something smaller than the long grip of the 3.8
    Got an lcr mostly for the lady
    Then I wanted a sig bc well, I shot a p226 so, I bought one.
    Next will be a glock bc I don't have one or 1911 for same reason.
    I usually know what I'm willing to spend before ever even looking at them.
    Then it comes down to Quality,reliability,reputation,feel,looks,caliber.
    It may vary some but that's close.....:twocents:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm envious that you've got everything you need.

On on my list of guns I need are still:
    full size polymer .45
    pocket size .380
    44 mag or 454 casull revolver
    22-250 varmint rifle
    30-06, 308, or 300 win mag rifle (haven't decided yet, but probably the 300 win mag)
    12 gauge 18" shotgun
    20 gauge 28" shotgun
    16" ar-15
    20-24" varmint ar-15

I'll be picking up the .45 and .380 at this Indy 1500 if I can find a decent deal. But I've still got a ways to go...

I'm pretty much in halfmiler's camp here. What I already have serves a purpose. Since those needs are met, I do tend to browse, and likewise do my homework before I take the plunge.

Once in awhile, this tactic ends up bumping a different gun out of my rotation. I'm still a bit new to shooting, and find that as my tastes and knowledge about different options change, I end up with something that serves a purpose better that I hadn't considered in the past.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I buy mainly for self defense,for me and my family .The caliber I shoot is NATO calibers ,because if s--- hits the fan there will be more of these around.I do have some 22s just cuse there fun,and two 357 wheel guns because it,s just a super caliber.Mainly
    caliber
    reliability
    self defense
    I love my guns!!

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    1. Price - If it's a great deal on a new or used gun model that I really like then the chances are that I'm going to buy it, even if it means putting it on lay-a-way. If it's a discontinued model, on clearance or akin to a Black Friday sale then so much the better.

2. Ergonomics - If it's a pistol that fits my hand well and the trigger seems to break just right for me, or if the length of pull of the stock and its balance is just right when it's shouldered, then those are major factors.

3. Wish list Models or calibers of special interest/Collectibles - there's certain wish list models and calibers that I have special interest in that can be hard to find for sale. Certain .22's, black powder guns, target guns, and guns on my wish list that I look for. If I ever come across one at a good deal then I'll want to buy it. I know one when I see one. And when one is found, then you can't think about it too much but must act and buy it before it's gone. 2nd chances don't come often since they can be uncommon and hard to find. It might be a model that's too expensive to buy new, so I put off purchasing one until later to see if a used one can be found. Or it could be a discontinued model with limited production or importation. Unfired, low round count, safe queen, discontinued or desirable wish list models can peak my interest.

4. Duplicates - I often buy duplicates of models that I already know have the ergonomics that I need to be satisfied.
    Especially if the duplicate is a great bargain, and if it's a collectible, then so much the better.
    There's some models that I have multiples of for those reasons. If one breaks then I have a duplicate, it had limited production and is collectible, its value will increase, and I will pass it on to my kids.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom