• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    If you are brand new to carrying a concealed handgun and are not real familiar with their operation, I would strongly recommend starting out with a revolver like the Ruger LCR. A revolver is easy to make safe [keep your finger off the trigger], check to see if it is loaded [open the cylinder], and is much more tolerant of neglect [although a semi-automatic may be more tolerant of abuse].

A snub-nosed revolver is not the easiest gun to shoot with accuracy, but accuracy may be achieved with practice. Shoot at 9" paper plates. The distance at which you can keep all five shots on the plate shooting rapidly with a two-handed grip--that is your maximum range right now. That distance will increase with practice.

:welcome:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When it comes to guns:

The subjective is objective.

Pros and cons of every platform.

What matters is not a good pistol but a good you.

The carry gun, includes you, your support gear, what you do and how you live.

All anyone can tell you is find what you like, go sign up for a class or three, buy another gun just like the one you have, buy lots of magazines, get a range buddy . . . oh, and buy a sand barrel.:D

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    One that you will actually carry. Won't do you any good if you don't have it with you.

^^^
    This!

The right answer is whatever works best for you. I tend to carry 1911's because I trained on them for years so I'm very confident I'll be able to use them effectively if the SHTF.

If you're new to firearms, you'll have to spend some time trying different ones to see what works best for you. As jamstutz pointed out, revolvers a are a good way to learn. You can also find decent ones at fairly low prices, even in the current crazy market conditions.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I carry what some would call a "Plus Sized" handgun and after a few adjustments, it conceals very well inside the belt even with a dress shirt and a tuckable holster. It's big so the mag holds plenty of rounds and my spare mag is in my back-up-gun. Sometimes I'll carry additional mags depending on where and what I'm doing.

Find a weapon that fits you and that you are comfortable shooting and stick with that. You can conceal anything with the right rig. When carrying multiple guns, I tend to stay with the same caliber and platform so the mags fit all the guns. :draw:

Simplify...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... What matters is not a good pistol but a good you. ../QUOTE]

Umm, profound this is.

yoda-1.gif

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There are too many variables to answer your question on the internets. The best answers here are to go to a local shop to ask questions and try out several different types of handguns. Your body frame and clothing will play a big part of what you can *comfortably* carry.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Step 1. Research-- you've go that covered.
    Step 2. Check with range to see if you can rent some of the recommendations and find out which actually feels right for you.
    Step 3. Training; get good instruction on the weapon from someone who is familiar with it-- likely to learn about its good points and its drawbacks.
    Step 4. Practice, practice, practice.

This is what works for me.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Step 1. Research-- you've go that covered.
    Step 2. Check with range to see if you can rent some of the recommendations and find out which actually feels right for you.
    Step 3. Training; get good instruction on the weapon from someone who is familiar with it-- likely to learn about its good points and its drawbacks.
    Step 4. Practice, practice, practice.

This is what works for me.

Good advice, and welcome aboard!

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Maybe I'm a little slow, but which dead horse is being beaten here?

Seems to me a newbie to carrying asked a question that we all had at one point. :dunno:

I just think this question has been asked A LOT. Sure we all can give our recommendations on the carry gun that works best for us, but everyone is different. I think the absolute best way to find what pistol works best for you is to go to a LGS and hold many different guns. It doesn't matter what kind of gun it is, if its uncomfortable, you're likely not going to carry it. :twocents:

Cestep72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry if that question gets asked a lot. I was just wondering what everybody else carried.

Top Bottom