• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I was just wanting some suggestions for my next good pocket knife, I don't want to drop a TON of money, but something under $150. Any suggestions?

BTW: I own a Gerber Paraframe 1, CRKT M16-14D, Cold Steel Recon 1, and a CRKT M21-14SFG.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I just hit the reset button on this guy.

manix2_01.jpg

Manix II from Spyderco.

550HG1.png

Benchmade Griptillian

I really like and have beat the snot out of one of these;

3884917628561112265.jpg

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    for $150 and under your not gonna find an "indestructible" folder, sorry just won't happen. you can however find some great knives that will stand up to some abuse.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^Agreed. Hard use folders are inherently expensive. But a Benchmade Griptillian, or many of the Spyderco's such as the Military and Police Models are super tough. For a little more, a Zero Tolerance 300 would make an excellent optin. An "Indestructible" folder is going to run you a couple times that, such as a Hinderer, Grayman Satu, etc....

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    And before someone else comes along and says it, fixed full tang blades are almost always better / safer for hard use.

This!
    The only option you have when you want a solid knife for hard use is a fixed blade.Even the very well made $500 knives with the best locking mechanism wont be as strong and will fail on you.

I learned it the hard way, I cut myself pretty bad with a folding knife that closed itself on my fingers.

A folding knife is made to fold first, if you want it not to fold then get a fixed blade or non-folding knife.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    This!
    The only option you have when you want a solid knife for hard use is a fixed blade.Even the very well made $500 knives with the best locking mechanism wont be as strong and will fail on you.

I learned it the hard way, I cut myself pretty bad with a folding knife that closed itself on my fingers.

A folding knife is made to fold first, if you want it not to fold then get a fixed blade or non-folding knife.

I second that statement. If youre going to be using the knife for serious work or are going to be putting stress on the blade, get a fixed blade.

I think a fixed blade would be a better choice in the long run (wear/tear, blade length, etc), although I am kinda biased due to cutting my finger to the bone because the locking mechanism failed and it went deep.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I second that statement. If youre going to be using the knife for serious work or are going to be putting stress on the blade, get a fixed blade.

I think a fixed blade would be a better choice in the long run (wear/tear, blade length, etc), although I am kinda biased due to cutting my finger to the bone because the locking mechanism failed and it went deep.

Same happend to me with a "heavy duty 100% US made quality folding knife", the mechanism failed like it can happen with any folding knife.

:xmad:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can I ask what knife it was...????

A BUCK knife that says "HEAVY DUTY" on the box, made in the USA with a forever warranty.:rolleyes:
    The model 285 bantan I think.
    Turned out it was a piece of crap and very dangerous since I almost lost a finger.

Now I know that even a knife that claims to be heavy duty cannot be if its a folding knife.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Yeah,, might have been labeled heavy duty, but that buck isn't..!!! I like buck knives, and they are made in usa.. But there folders aren't what I would call heavy duty..!! Strider,Grayman,ZT, those are heavy duty...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah,, might have been labeled heavy duty, but that buck isn't..!!! I like buck knives, anc they are made in usa.. But there folders aren't what I would call heavy dut..!! Strider,Grayman,ZT, those are heavy duty...

I think this model is "made" in the US from imported parts made in Asia, previously the same model had "made in china" on the blade.The one I have is a new one that says "USA" on the blade.
    But for me that doesnt mean anything, its all about quality control.
    I have a Spyderco made in China and that's a great knife, never failled me.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I seem to delegate duty to 3 knives. Med size "workman" 3 blades, Large tactical 1/2 serrated blade, and full tang 5 in sheath knife. Seems to deal with all jobs around a small farm/ hunting/protection application. Lot of decent knives out there, seems expensive ones get lost just like cheaper ones! Watch your fingers you only get one set per hand.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    ZT 0350 Titanium frame, G10 scales and S30v steel blade with assisted opening. What more can you ask for. And for around $100.
    photo-80.jpg

Excellent knife, built very well and the price is right. You cannot go wrong with this knife.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Traderator and Sylvain got it right!!

When you make a folder, you are essentially starting with a knife that is broken in half, and then engineering a way for it to open and stay that way. It will never be as reliable or strong as a same-quality fixed blade.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Traderator and Sylvain got it right!!

When you make a folder, you are essentially starting with a knife that is broken in half, and then engineering a way for it to open and stay that way. It will never be as reliable or strong as a same-quality fixed blade.

Yeah each tool for each job.
    The problem is that knife makers sale you knives "as tough as a fixed blade and heavy duty" when they are not.
    And that can cost you your fingers. :xmad:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I don't know of any knife maker who actually states that a folder is as heavy duty as a fixed blade. I do not think they compare the two. I think they only compare folders to folders.

Top Bottom