What is a Good Reliable 22 Cal. 1911 Pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    I thought I would update this thread. I ended up buying the Sig Sauer 1911-22 in Faded Dark Earth last week. This pistol looks awesome and shoots great. Have not had a malfunction with CCI Mini Mag ammo. Have shot 300 rounds with perfect function. This gun will not shoot low velocity ammo but I knew that going in. Having a ton of fun with the Sig. This is great practice for the big 45's.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I thought I would update this thread. I ended up buying the Sig Sauer 1911-22 in Faded Dark Earth last week. This pistol looks awesome and shoots great. Have not had a malfunction with CCI Mini Mag ammo. Have shot 300 rounds with perfect function. This gun will not shoot low velocity ammo but I knew that going in. Having a ton of fun with the Sig. This is great practice for the big 45's.
    Thanks for the feedback on your purchase. Looks like the Sig and GSG are the way to go for a plinker. The Marvel and Nelson conversions are very popular with those needing top accuracy at 50 yards (bullseye shooters).

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Try a Colt Conversion Unit for a 22 will work on just about any 1911 style Pistols,when I want to shoot 22's I just switch out the top end of one of my Colt's And have at it, I have 3 Versions of the Colt Conversions Unit and have had no trouble with any of them they also Maintain there Value or Increase so you can't loose with Colt

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    I have owned Puma, GSG and Browning. The Browning is leaps and bounds better than any other 22lr 1911 out there. Although it's way overpriced. It was very accurate, ate anything I put in it and felt great in my hand.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    Ruger MK III 22/45 if you aren't interested in working from the holster. Great pistol, same grip and pretty much runs on what ever you feed it. It's also a real tack driver with a little work on the trigger.
    [FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]
    ^^^^^^ And now that .22 is coming around again you can shoot it all day.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    I would have to agree with some other posts about the ATI-GSG / Sig Sauer 1911-22 being a decent quality .22 caliber handgun. I bought the ADOPS (additional options) model in order to have the bottom rail. I have shot it a lot and have been well satisfied with it.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    You can buy a magazine extension for the GSG and SIG that will give you 14 rounds. I did it to my GSG. They work great.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I have both the Sig and the Colt "Gold Cup" as well as an old High Standard "Sport King." I have to say that the Sig, which is just a glorified GSG is the my favorite of the group. I've done all the modifications to it and also added new adjustable rear and F.O. front sights. The Sig and the Colt in my hands are so close in accuracy that I can't tell you which one is more accurate. They both are capable of more than I can deliver with them.
    Both of these pistols perform well with high velocity ammo and have the usual, "occasional," malfunctions with the bulk stuff.
    The old High Standard on the other hand will eat just about anything with new springs in it and is still a very accurate pistol.
    I don't know if this helped you out with your decision making but I wish you all the luck in your search.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    I have to say that the Sig, which is just a glorified GSG is the my favorite of the group. I've done all the modifications to it and also added new adjustable rear and F.O. front sights.

calcot7
    What adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front sight did you use on your Sig/GSG 1911-22? Are they something that you bought off the shelf or did you have a gunsmith work it all out for you?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Just put 100 through my GSG conversion I run on my Kimber. So fun with a suppressor, and decently reliable. Thing likes to run dirty and need to clean it every 1000 rounds or so, plus running 45 WWII surplus before hand doesn't help anything. But, still fun to shoot and love double tapping with the thing :)

Top Bottom