• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I think it depends on how mature you are. I know when I was younger, I thought I "needed" a lot more than I actually do. Now that I'm a crabby old man, I find that my desire for material goods and wealth are much much less. American consumerism and materialism is a sickness in many cases. I try to avoid falling into the trap.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Different people have differing definitions of greed.

I try to get all of the tax loopholes/deductions I can. To the Democrats, that is greedy.

I try to make all the money I can - and to my parents, I am greedy.

I try and keep my money because I believe I am giving enough to "needy" people through the government. You think I am greedy.

There is one pivotal point though. I don't think I am greedy and that is what counts.

You can't make everyone happy or you will kill the donkey.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm not saying anything is superior, nor was that implied. I do balk at the idea that two fathers, or two mothers can't be as equally good a parent as a mother and father.

Why do you balk at that idea? Do not children need and learn from BOTH the feminine and masculine influences in their life? How can it be beneficial to remove one of those primary influences?

I'm not saying that there are not circumstances where a child can be raised well in the absence of a father or mother. I am saying that is never the ideal situation because the child is being deprived of an essential influence which naturally should be there. Kids learn what it is to be a man from their father, a woman from their mother.

You can't learn what it is to be a woman from a man...

Mothers are not fathers and fathers are not mothers. They are not interchangeable. Ask any child that has lost one.

Best,

Joe

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So Hillary was on to something when she said it takes a village.

Except that her concept of a village was a top down approach.

It is harder for a kid to screw up if they have a large extended family around them. Everyone knows them and their momma will hear about it (whatever it is) before they get home. It is easier to get in your momma's face if she has no support system. Far harder if that means taking on mom, dad, their brothers and sisters, grandparents.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^ This ^^^

Interesting observations in this thread. Having been to Kenya and/or Tanzania 5 times in the past 10 years, I have seen hungry people. I'm not going to even try to describe some of the things I have seen and know exist there. THOSE are hungry people--especially in times of drought. Not to take away from what happens here, but by comparison, we do pretty well here in the States.

In addition to saying all that, please understand that I am self-employed--more out of necessity than anything else. Folks my age (50-something) don't get hired as quickly as the young people I guess. Last year, I was faced with a decision. Go on Gov't aid or hire myself--I chose the latter. I took what little retirement I had saved up, took the tax hit of cashing in the 401, and started a business.

Recently we have fallen on some tough times. As of a couple of weeks ago, we weren't quite sure where our next groceries were going to come from. PLEASE understand that we are far from starving, but we came face to face with just how quickly we could be one of those folks standing along the road side holding a sign. There are quite a few folk on here who understand how we feel, but I also see that there are quite a few others who could use a "Dan Aykroyd/Trading Places experience." Do we have people abusing the system? Sure we do! But before you go pointing fingers, consider how quickly you can find yourself right where they are. (3-4 years ago I was making decent money and had never in my entire adult life had a problem getting a job.)

Have a blessed Christmas folks!

Most Americans have never lived outside the US. Just let them spend about 6 weeks in South America, Africa or Central Asia. Real wake up call.

If you notice, the ads never really say starvation. Rather the push is about food anxiety (worrying about were it will be). We have poor who are grossly fat. In fact we have huge problems with obesity. So we are not starving. But times are tough, folks do need a little help. That is not the problem. It is the guilty trip that the various food charities are putting on us.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    So Hillary was on to something when she said it takes a village.

Hillary's village was the exact opposite of family taking care of family. Hillary's village was fundamentally about ceding the upbringing of your children to the government via public schools and social programs. It was her way of replacing the traditional family structure.

Best,

Joe

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hillary's village was the exact opposite of family taking care of family. Hillary's village was fundamentally about ceding the upbringing of your children to the government via public schools and social programs. It was her way of replacing the traditional family structure.

Best,

Joe

Evidently, Hillary never read Platos "REPUBLIC" or Alan Bloom's "CLOSING OF THE AMERICAN MIND". People way brighter than her have thought deeply on the subject. Hilary's plan works with livestock, not humans with minds, wills, and emotions.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Most Americans have never lived outside the US. Just let them spend about 6 weeks in South America, Africa or Central Asia. Real wake up call.

If you notice, the ads never really say starvation. Rather the push is about food anxiety (worrying about were it will be). We have poor who are grossly fat. In fact we have huge problems with obesity. So we are not starving. But times are tough, folks do need a little help. That is not the problem. It is the guilty trip that the various food charities are putting on us.

This. The folks I see in my day-to-day seem to have enough money for drugs, cigarettes and tattoos. I guess the rest of us just need to get our priorities right?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    So what you are really saying is that they are behaving like immature teenagers rather than a mature adult. Does that mean that they need a "daddy"?

I'm saying even those in need make some pretty bad decisions when they're given hand-outs without accountability. Immature? Well, irresponsible.

I'm sure there are needy people out there. And we should go back to the days of county trustees, and do away with the federal cornucopia. Private charity can help, but present forced government confiscation has gone some way to displacing charitable giving. Look for charities to wither as the .gov invents more and more entitlements.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm saying even those in need make some pretty bad decisions when they're given hand-outs without accountability. Immature? Well, irresponsible.

I'm sure there are needy people out there. And we should go back to the days of county trustees, and do away with the federal cornucopia. Private charity can help, but present forced government confiscation has gone some way to displacing charitable giving. Look for charities to wither as the .gov invents more and more entitlements.

One of the big problems is that we have completing private food charities who complete for funding, volunteers and even clients! Government is the least of the problem.

flatbroke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    whereigothereiam
    There are truly children and adults going hungry in Indiana. I was a secret Santa for 2 years and also operated a food bank for our local area for several years. Some people are scammers and too lazy to get out of their own way , but there are many people and children who can not provide for themselves due to no fault of their own but circumstances which made them victims of their own demise. I am not going to share personal stories of any of the people I know but I just want everyone to know that there are people going hungry in Indiana tonight.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    One of the big problems is that we have completing private food charities who complete for funding, volunteers and even clients! Government is the least of the problem.

I dunno that government is the least of the problem. The government has done more through welfare and entitlements to destroy any true charitable giving or works than anything else I can think of. Why should we give or care when we are forcibly taxed to pay for these things?

Forced charity destroys all merit in it. There is no giving out of love and there is no gratitude for the "entitlement".

There is just force and political control.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why do you balk at that idea? Do not children need and learn from BOTH the feminine and masculine influences in their life? How can it be beneficial to remove one of those primary influences?

I'm not saying that there are not circumstances where a child can be raised well in the absence of a father or mother. I am saying that is never the ideal situation because the child is being deprived of an essential influence which naturally should be there. Kids learn what it is to be a man from their father, a woman from their mother.

You can't learn what it is to be a woman from a man...

Mothers are not fathers and fathers are not mothers. They are not interchangeable. Ask any child that has lost one.

Best,

Joe

Why does a child "need"to have a masculine or feminine influence in their life? You'll have to explain that one to me. The "ideal" parenting situation, is one with loving parents...

davidw221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Here is my 3 cents worth, the poor have these options,
    1. Poor children have a free breakfast at school
    2. Poor children have a free lunch at school
    3. Many churches have free dinners for the poor, all you have to do is listen to the sermon, your fed!
    4. Food pantries have free food for the poor
    5. And of course we have the EBT cards for the poor, I was at a store several weeks ago, this lady had 4 EBT cards, to pay for all of the junk food she bought, oh by the way, she was pushing 300.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Why does a child "need"to have a masculine or feminine influence in their life? You'll have to explain that one to me. The "ideal" parenting situation, is one with loving parents...

Why does a child need a parent at all? Why can't we put 'em all in government-run creches? Why wouldn't love from a McGov nursery worker be just as good as that of a parent?

Call it Obamakindergarten.

After all, the kiddies belong to the State...

Seriously? Don't we have a problem in the inner cities right now with young men raised in single-mom households, with no stable father figure? You think that just having a loving mom is doing the trick there, and that these young tykes who go on to a life of crime and then DOC are being served well by the social engineering that has been the result of 50 years of progressive politics?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here is my 3 cents worth, the poor have these options,
    1. Poor children have a free breakfast at school
    2. Poor children have a free lunch at school
    3. Many churches have free dinners for the poor, all you have to do is listen to the sermon, your fed!
    4. Food pantries have free food for the poor
    5. And of course we have the EBT cards for the poor, I was at a store several weeks ago, this lady had 4 EBT cards, to pay for all of the junk food she bought, oh by the way, she was pushing 300.

People with EBT cards apparently can make healthy choices if they want to. The other day the lady in front of me at the checkout lane in Whole Foods used an EBT card. Looked to me like she eats better than most people who don't choose to live off the government. The least healthy thing she pulled out of her cart was a lobster. She was pretty fit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Social entropy. As we become more "enlightened" towards your way of thinking society is not producing better results. Advocating for "diversity" is a ***** when it goes against you.

Why does a child need a parent at all? Why can't we put 'em all in government-run creches? Why wouldn't love from a McGov nursery worker be just as good as that of a parent?

Seriously? Don't we have a problem in the inner cities right now with young men raised in single-mom households, with no stable father figure? You think that just having a loving mom is doing the trick there, and that these young tykes who go on to a life of crime and then DOC are being served well by the social engineering that has been the result of 50 years of progressive politics?

The welfare moms of thugs have their kids for the sake of their bottom line. We can hardly call those "loving moms". Ben Carson is an example product of a single, loving mom who refused to let her kids become thugs. She sacrificed to make her kids into better adults. It can happen. But it's the exception, not the norm. I think the best possible precursor to becoming a responsible, caring, productive adult is growing up in a home with a loving father and mother, who are highly focused on shaping their kids into competent, caring adults.

And I agree with you on the liberal social engineering. Detroit has long been the capstone model of progressive politics. It aptly demonstrates the logical conclusion of progressive socioeconomic policy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Yeah, that bad kids in the inner city because they don't have a "father figure," is a load of bunk. It had more to do with supervision being non-existent, than the sex of a missing parent.

Top Bottom