• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone notice any increase in trespassers this year?

My buddy cut down 4 tree stands, and ran off 3 idiots who "had permission to hunt" his land. My uncle found someone sitting in his tree stand on opening morning(private land). Now I've just heard another story from a buddy how he got into a fist fight with a trespasser who insisted it was his land, and my buddy was trespassing.

Sheesh, what is it with these idiots?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    yeah brother has a similar story about his son chasing a monster buck onto the neighbors land. they were confronted by someone (not the owner) who said they had permission to hunt there. the story later twists, as the owner said no, why i didn't allow anyone to hunt.

it seems they just come from urban areas, pick an out of the way spot, and set up shop.

good way for someone to get shot...

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I never have problems during archery except atvs. Firearms season i spend more time and energy on trespassers than hunting. Trespassers are just about the lowest form of human being IMO. The arrogance of these jerks is beyond belief

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Can you call the police when you find a trespasser on your property? I would think if the property is posted there has to be some kind of criminal action there. To bad violators can't be just held by the property owner until police arrive. I have to agree trespassers are a unique form of low life.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    As I understand it the first step is to contact Leo and open a case file. Then you have options such as holding them until law enforcement arrives. I haven't done this as I don't like calling law enforcement unless I absolutely have to.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    As I understand it the first step is to contact Leo and open a case file. Then you have options such as holding them until law enforcement arrives. I haven't done this as I don't like calling law enforcement unless I absolutely have to.
    personally I'd leave. stay there, and you'll end up with a mexican standoff while waiting for the police to arrive. two dudes pointing shotguns at one another when the LEO gets there? pass.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    personally I'd leave. stay there, and you'll end up with a mexican standoff while waiting for the police to arrive. two dudes pointing shotguns at one another when the LEO gets there? pass.

Been there..no fun.

I hit a deer years ago, and it went about 30 yards and jumped the fence, and I heard a bang. I went over to check it out, and two guys were field dressing it, and one had a gun on me and told me it was their deer.
    I knew better, but let them have it.
    Game Warden ran them off the next day. They drove down from the city and set up camp in the next woods over, without permission of course.
    People used to take them from the road in their pick up trucks back then also. Four wheelers seem to be the biggest issue now. I do not care if you drive out to get the deer you shot, I have one for that reason, but do not race around the fence rows, and woods with it.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My grandpa carries a few cartridges loaded with rock salt for trespassers on our farm. I've seen him shoot a guy in the hind quarters before, looked like it hurt. That's in WV though, a bit easier to get away with "good ol' mountain justice" as he calls it.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I haven't seen too many this year....but we have been pretty active about keeping them off the land this year because of problems in the past. Not just hunting but i have talked to people that will just drive out in the country to shoot from the side of the road into someones woods because they think they can. That is just COMPLETELY disrespectful and I told the person that if that happened on my land they better expect return fire to come back. You just don't walk on someones land and start shooting and not expect to be shot back at.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I've one stand stolen and pegs from a dif. ferent stand stolen. I hunt private property in Johnson county. The neighbors think since they livw on the property they can use it as they please. He even rode his atv to my stand while i was in it and said I was trespassing. I called the landowners and described hom and knew exactly who it was. I called a CO and he went to his house and had a talk withhim. Nobody has hunted that land for 6 years so him and his kids hunted it without permission. He's left us alone but lets his dogs run through the woods now

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    During turkey season someone tried to use their shotgun and a metal rod to open the door to my cabin on my hunting ground. Busted my door up for sure.

I filed a police report in and never heard anything.

Once a year someone shoots my cabin and I have to fix something.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Why are the CO's "talking" to these people ? shouldn't they be arresting them ? The only way to cut down on trespassing is to harden the punishiment. And yes I can't belive how bold people can be.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Why are the CO's "talking" to these people ? shouldn't they be arresting them ? The only way to cut down on trespassing is to harden the punishiment. And yes I can't belive how bold people can be.

IC 35-43-2-2
    Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
    (2) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally refuses to leave the real property of another person after having been asked to leave by the other person or that person's agent;
    (3) accompanies another person in a vehicle, with knowledge that the other person knowingly or intentionally is exerting unauthorized control over the vehicle;
    (4) knowingly or intentionally interferes with the possession or use of the property of another person without the person's consent;
    (5) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the dwelling of another person without

the person's consent;
    (7) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters or refuses to leave the property of another person after having been prohibited from entering or asked to leave the property by a law enforcement officer when the property is:
    (i left out the railroad parts)

They cannot arrest for a misdemeanor that they did not witness themselves.

And I think this law needs to be changed as its not "tresspassing" until after you ask them to leave and they don't. If some people started getting arrested for "accidentally" not knowing the property lines, they would start to be more careful.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I sometimes like when people trespass on my land because sometimes they will leave their gear with no identification....Ive gotten 2 new tree stands that way! Some people are just idiots.

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    I had the cops called on me when coon hunting. We were hunting a woods we had permission on to hunt and a half a mile away was another woods we didnt not have permission to hunt well with dogs they dont know that so the run a coon over to the woods we aren't aloud to hunt. So we go to get our dogs and they had it treed but we didnt harvest it. on our way out of the trespassing woods we get our picture takin by a deer cam bright flash couldnt of missed it. and when home later that morning at like 5am a deputy arrives at the house small town he knows my dad, asking what we where doing on mr d-bag woods we told him he says" well mrdbag has had people coming in and stealing is deer cameras" We told him what happened and we where not breaking any laws he agreed.
    Just because someone is trespassing doesnt make them low lifes. ive been on both sides. I cant speak for the guys in the tree stands.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hmmm. So I should just leave it to the police if someone is trespassing on my property, but if I call the police I'm a d-bag for doing so.

Screw it, I'm sticking with my really pissed off psycho landowner routine ordering someone to immediately leave the property by the shortest route possible and going ape**** on them if they don't. It's worked so far, and it's not an act.

Oh, and BTW, I've had people running their dogs at night on my place "but were hunting the next property over" and when I was done they wished they hadn't been.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I'm picking up a real nice 15' tripod stand off my place this weekend, if I don't use it. This clown also had a treehouse build on the neighbors fence line. When caught, he said he "Had premission". To bad he was talking to the land owner. The neighbor made him tear it down while he stood there. Same guy also told me I was hunting on HIS land.

Top Bottom