What is the Best Bulk .22lr ammo for a Scout Camp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    Looks like CCI has alot of good things being said about it. Perhaps we will purchase a couple hundred rounds of your guyses top few choices, and put them thru our rifle to see what works best.

The NRA will be sending us some Winchester 555 22.lr Supersonic Hollow point, allegedly. Not sure on quantity. If you have expirence on that, you can comment at ->
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...chester-555-22-lr-supersonic-hollowpoint.html

I really appreciate all of yalls help. Getting ammo with a low FTF rate means that boys aren't losing their confidence when shooting, and reducing the chance that accidents will happen. I hope INGO posters will continue to post to this thread, the more opinions, the better!

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Armscor Precision (Philippines) makes an acceptably accurate standard velocity ammo that was languishing at a local wholesale distributor before the panic for ~$17/brick. I recently bought some at retail for $35/brick because it was available at a lower price than CCI standard velocity and in greater quantity. And the 50 yard accuracy of Armscore high velocity isn't all that much different and is also worth buying if you can find some.
    It's out of stock at this outfit but there's a couple of consumer comments about it:

5000 Rounds of Bulk .22 LR Ammo by Armscor - 40gr LS

And a range report:

Armscor .22 LR Target Ammunition is one of the more inexpensive .22 LR ammo choices available to the American shooter. While inexpensive is certainly good when it comes to .22 LR ammo that may well be shot up very quickly, inexpensive .22 LR ammo that is also accurate is what most of us are seeking. I purchased a few boxes of Armscor .22 LR Target Ammunition to review and see how well it shot. For testing I used an old bolt action rifle and a .22 LR revolver. While neither of these guns are serious competition firearms, I was not expecting competition accuracy from Armscor's $2.50 a box ammo regardless of the "Target" markings on the package. The Armscor bullets in this loading are 40 grain, solid lead, round nose bullets. A visual check of a few rounds showed the Armscor bullets to have some light scratching which is typical of soft lead bullets, but no serious marks or obvious manufacturing flaws. In the rifle, the Armscor .22 LR Target Ammunition shot about half inch groups at 25 yards and 1 inch groups at 50 yards. In the revolver, 25 yard groups with the Armscor ammo shot into 1 ½ inches for some groups with the average being a little more. Compared against other ammunition this is about average in these two guns, not spectacular but quite good for the price. Of course, rimfire guns are often picky as to what ammunition they will shoot well. A shooter will have to try it in their own guns to see how it works but the Armscor ammo shot well in mine. The revolver was shot after being cleaned to get some idea of how dirty the Armscor ammo shot. Fouling in the cylinder and forcing cone were minimal with no sign of unburned powder. There were no failures to fire or function.

The Armscor .22 LR Target Ammunition appears to be an inexpensive yet accurate .22 Long Rifle ammo choice in the two guns used during the review. Midway (midwayusa.com) is one of many sources for Armscor ammunition.

http://www.grouchyconservativepundits.org/index.php?

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yes, it is for Ransburg. Hopefully we will move to having a full line on Anschütz eventually. The Kimbers have held up well, all things considered. Did you come down during week 8/9 to help out? That would have been the second half of july, I believe.

Last year I was there week 2 in June. It was great because they let my son stay late on the last night and shoot his last target that he needed to pass the badge. During open shoot last year I shot a couple targets and got 49/50 both times with the Remington ammo they had. Darn my astigmatism. But anyway the point is that most reputable ammo will shoot well enough at 50 feet to pass the merit badge without problems.

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    Last year I was there week 2 in June. It was great because they let my son stay late on the last night and shoot his last target that he needed to pass the badge. During open shoot last year I shot a couple targets and got 49/50 both times with the Remington ammo they had. Darn my astigmatism. But anyway the point is that most reputable ammo will shoot well enough at 50 feet to pass the merit badge without problems.

Thad always goes the extra mile to help scout earn their merit badge.

I agree that most reputable ammo is accurate enough for the merit badge requirements, thats why we are more concerned about the FTF rate being low.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Boy Scouts must have a good ammo connection. I inquired about donating some .22lr to my grandson's troop back when ammo was darned near invisible. They said, thanks but they had plenty. That's good news. :rockwoot:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The Boy Scouts must have a good ammo connection. I inquired about donating some .22lr to my grandson's troop back when ammo was darned near invisible. They said, thanks but they had plenty. That's good news. :rockwoot:

I suspect it varies greatly. The Councils can usually get ammo for summer camp with the help of the NRA and some generous supporters. The local Troops are usually on their own when it comes to ammo for shooting outside of summer camp. Several of us raided our private supplies during the past year so the boys could shoot. It sounds like your Grandson's Troop managed to find enough. Thanks for offering to help them out, I am sure the offer was appreciated.

308offate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    as a former boyscout i would rather shoot at summer camp period not caring if it was the most accurate ammo

Top Bottom