• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have a marlin 30-30 and it is an outstanding rifle. You will of course have to get it in a legal for IN caliber. Fairly affordable rifle especially used. Rifle will last a lifetime.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    1) Marlin Marlin (but not last produced by Marlin)

2) Current Henry's

3) Freedom Group Marlin (because Remington makes it seem like it's rocket science to make a lever action rifle and ranked like this morally because Remington sh*t canning the Marlin employees who were building the rifles basically by hand)

4) Rossi/Puma- Which I've heard actually shoot pretty good, but they're all open sight for the most part. Top eject and a PITA to put a scope mount on since it has to be offset.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    4) Rossi/Puma- Which I've heard actually shoot pretty good, but they're all open sight for the most part. Top eject and a PITA to put a scope mount on since it has to be offset.

My .357 (just a few years old) was drilled and taped for a scope base on the barrel. It did require removing the rear sight, but the whole process was simple and painless. Makes a good mount for a red dot or IER scope. The "safety" on the other hand is ugly as anything and needs to go.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    My Marlin (actually marked Glenfield) 30-30 was made in 1975/6 and i bought it last year at a gun auction in IL for $250 ! It has the original scope that came with it when new which is marked "Marlin" !

Now someone please put up "this thread is useless without pics" so I can go drag out my camera! :D (Notice I didnt say drag out the lever action...its no safe queen!) :rockwoot:

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm going to wait until after deer season before I start to "gear up" for next year.

So I'm open to suggestions of guns to consider, even used models.

Your thoughts?

Price range? Caliber? Indiana deer hunting, or other uses/states?

For .357 & .44 mag:

Henry & Winchester make some of the smoothest actions, but a good Henry seems to go for $700+ new while the Winchesters often top $1000.

I have not hear good things about the new Marlins, but the older models earned a solid reputation for value. (I originally wanted a Marlin, but a short conversation with Steve at Granger Guns had me switched to a Rossi/Puma since my budget did not extend to a Henry.)

My Rossi/Puma works well and is accurate, but the action started out extremely rough (and I have not shot it enough to see how well it works itself out :()

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

For .357 & .44 mag:
    I need IN legal caliber for deer... Less than $800, so that is why I mentioned used.

Thanks,

HP :popcorn:

In that case, I would suggest a Winchester if you can find one (again, most of the ones I have seen where $1000+ new or used) or a Henry. An older Marlin would also be a 1st rate choice, but they can be pretty hard to locate.

Last edited:

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Lever gun

For .357 & .44 mag:

In that case, I would suggest a Winchester if you can find one (again, most of the ones I have seen where $1000+) or a Henry. An older Marlin would also be a good gun, but they can be pretty hard to locate.

Rossi goes for around $400 to $500, Bud's Boat shop on I 224 Huntington has/had a lot of them. Different calibers.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Rossi goes for around $400 to $500, Bud's Boat shop on I 224 Huntington has/had a lot of them. Different calibers.

Yeah, but if I had the option I would definitely have gone with a Henry 1st (much smoother action and easier to use with a traditional 1-3x or 1-4x scope.)
    The Henry BigBoy will normally run between $7-800 new, so it sits right towards the upper end of the $800 budget.

I really do not have any big problems with my Rossi, but it can crunch brass on ejection and the lever takes a FIRM hand to ensure proper feeding. That being said, I would still probably get a Rossi again over a new Marlin (at least until they get a 3-4yr track record of making decent lever actions again.)

Edit: You might want to see if there is anybody with a Henry, older Marlin, Rossi, etc that will let you try theirs out. Running the lever unloaded, they all felt OK to me. It was only when I got brass into the Rossi that I really noticed the force required.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    for the money Rossi 92 is the best deal.....i like 45 Colt.....the 92's action is the strongest of them all......if you hand load you can load these....270gr Penn Thunder heads and they hit hard!!....1800fps from 20" barrel.....second from the left...

2vxp2r9.jpg

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    If you want a good lever gun then Marlin. Period. Anyone that speaks otherwise is a joker ;)
    That said don't buy a new Marlin go to a gun show and get a used Pre 1990s if you can!

Henry makes a "pretty" gun!

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    If you want a good lever gun then Marlin. Period. Anyone that speaks otherwise is a joker ;)
    That said don't buy a new Marlin go to a gun show and get a used Pre 1990s if you can!

Henry makes a "pretty" gun!

Yep....gotta go pre 90s on the Marlin.

Mine is a late 70s early 80s model...much better than the later ones.

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I was very pleased with my Cimarron 92 in 45 LC last year. 90 yards dead on through the woods.

Top Bottom