What is the most expensive gun you have ever seen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As a retired navy cpo, I must point out this is actually a myth. Check out this website. Way to indepth for me but the pix tell the story.

Do Battleships move sideways when they fire?

:)

Average outflow velocity of propellant gases following shot ejection: w = 3,937 fps
    Gas Kinetic Energy = 0.5*((Wc/g)/2)*w^2 = 78.29*10^6 ft-lb To compute the Kinetic energy of the recoiling parts, we must determine the velocity that they would achieve if allowed to recoil with no retarding force. This is commonly referred to as the free recoil velocity. To account for the difference between the velocity of the projectile and that of the propellant gases, we will use the aftereffect coefficient B which is defined by the relationship:

I call BS! The gas kinetic energy equation is off here by .0023*-10 though so I'm not so sure they don't move sideways.:):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had the opportunity to go pheasant hunting with a prominent business man and his family. They flew in on their private jet and their dog trainer brought the gear by truck. While I was helping people into the back of a pickup he handed me his gun. It was unusual that it had no markings on it. None that I could find. Talking with the trainer later and apparently it was handmade and cost over $80,000. This was his personal field gun so it bounced around in the truck and got used to push limbs out of the way.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Check
    death-star-1.jpg

Mate

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    But he told me he doesn't want to make money, he just loves to sell guns. $1400 for a Taurus isn't normal?

EVERYTHING is marked up +$300 i swear. Its unreal. I go in there time to time just to use the range. which is still 20 a half hour. I just look around and laugh. As Don pulls up in his jag with all his "bling" on. He has rings, necklace, watch, bracelet and who knows what else. And the thing is I always see somebody in there buying a gun.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Probably one of the 16" guns on the USS New Jersey. They fire a 2,200 pound projectile 28 miles and there are 9 of them on each Iowa class battleship. I was on R&R in Hawaii when the New Jersey pulled in to Pearl Harbor on her way over to Nam. They had an open house and we got to tour the ship.

During the First Gulf War, my oldest son was aboard the USS Wisconsin operating the radar for the 16" guns. He sent me a photo taken at dusk at the Wisconsin fired all 9 guns brdadside. Great photo. (look at the shock waves on the surface)

wisconsin.jpg

When I was a young Boy Scout our troop spent the weekend aboard the "Big Mamie," USS Massachusetts BB-59. If anyone ever has the chance to tour one of the 8 eight surviving US battleships you have to do it. :yesway: It truly changes your perception of what massive is.

Top Bottom