• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    I don't support OWS rallies, but I do support there right to protest. Why are protesters regardless of what they are protesting being treated in this manner.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gim_pqUAKcc&feature=g-all-f&context=G287d0c3FAAAAAAAAOAA[/ame]

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The point...

gixxe.jpg

peppersprayvegetableper.jpg

pikememepicturesphotosp.jpg

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Well in this particular instance they were in violation of the law, trespassing I think. They were asked to leave and if you watch the unedited video you see them provoking the police so the police do this ^^^ and then they get to post these very misleading pictures on the internet.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Well in this particular instance they were in violation of the law, trespassing I think. They were asked to leave and if you watch the unedited video you see them provoking the police so the police do this ^^^ and then they get to post these very misleading pictures on the internet.

Exactly. For those whining, if you can't differentiate between credible reporting and sensationalized fabrication to support an agenda, you'd be better off to not view media content at all. These kids get exactly what they deserve.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    After the first rape or the first dump taken on the sidewalk/in the park/in parking lots, a few moments of pain from pepper spray is too good for them.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    gvsugod is correct that this video is edited to omitt the fact that they were trespassing and asked to leave.

When a trespasser ignores a request to leave, the trespasser accepts the consequences. There is no reason to feign victim status.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Did the people sitting on the ground get violent in the full footage?

Did they understand the consequences of their decisions?

We're they willing to stand by those decisions regardless?

Or were they victims?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Where were they? Was it private or public property? Were they preventing other people using the property?

If they were on private property or were preventing other people from using public property, they initiated the force, not the police.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The university apologized for sending in the riot police, they understood it was a mistake. There was no reason to pepper spray the protesters, they posed no threat to the police, nor had they gotten violent. In retrospect the police should have rounded up the offenders, zip-tied them and dragged them to jail (the same way anti-choice protesters, or political protesters at the world bank or national conventions get treated). After which they could be tried for any crimes they really committed. After all, isn't that what we do to criminals (read: the accused) here in America?

It amazes me that people think that these kids deserved this treatment (because they disagree politically?). In the end there was no reason for either group to behave the way they did.

Just my $0.02

-Paul

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The university apologized for sending in the riot police, they understood it was a mistake. There was no reason to pepper spray the protesters, they posed no threat to the police, nor had they gotten violent. In retrospect the police should have rounded up the offenders, zip-tied them and dragged them to jail (the same way anti-choice protesters, or political protesters at the world bank or national conventions get treated). After which they could be tried for any crimes they really committed. After all, isn't that what we do to criminals (read: the accused) here in America?

It amazes me that people think that these kids deserved this treatment (because they disagree politically?). In the end there was no reason for either group to behave the way they did.

Just my $0.02

-Paul

They used their own form of force by refusing to leave and physically preventing some of LEOs from moving about freely. Physically stopping their behavior when the refused to do so voluntarily was just and right, both legally and morally.

Given that, what method would you have preferred the LEOs use instead of pepper spray?

Or perhaps you think they should have been allowed to continue their unlawful behavior in contradiction of the wishes of the property owners.

And you and I and everyone else on this board knows that UC only regrets the exposure this incident caused them, not the use of the police to achieve the desired results.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They used their own form of force by refusing to leave and physically preventing some of LEOs from moving about freely. Physically stopping their behavior when the refused to do so voluntarily was just and right, both legally and morally.

Given that, what method would you have preferred the LEOs use instead of pepper spray?

Or perhaps you think they should have been allowed to continue their unlawful behavior in contradiction of the wishes of the property owners.

And you and I and everyone else on this board knows that UC only regrets the exposure this incident caused them, not the use of the police to achieve the desired results.

I don't agree that sitting on the ground is a form of force.

I do agree that the university was within their rights to clear the area.

As far as 'property owners', UC Davis is a public university, owned by the people of California. The students, who pay for the university with both taxes and tuition, are as much the 'owners' of the property as the administration.

In retrospect, I feel it would have been more appropriate to detain and charge the suspected offenders, not assault them.

I can't help but think that if these people had been protesting abortion, or had been at a 2A rally, that the INGO community would much less favor this pointless use of force, but since they are kids from the left coast somehow they 'Got what they deserved' from the cops?

I have to disagree. It may be legally justifiable to allow the police to assault citizens, but I cannot justify it morally. Violent force has to be a 'Last Resort', especially when used in an official capacity.

Like I wrote in my first post, and repeated in this one:

The correct action would have been to order the crowd to disperse. Next, arrest and charge those that do not comply. Anything else is a misuse of police power, and opens both groups to un-necessary risks. Look at the way the protesters are treated at anti-choice rallies, G8 Summit meetings, Repub/Demo National conventions, etc...

Had the UC Davis police arrived, arrested the suspected troublemakers and moved on, this whole incident might have been a throw-away...forgotten in a few hours.

The use of violence when none is necessary is wrong. Wrong from the police, wrong from the rabble, wrong from me or you.

It seems to me, in this situation, there is plenty of 'wrong' to go around. I am not defending the actions of the 'protestors' as appropriate, I am simply saying the actions of the police were also inappropriate.

None of it 'needed' to happen at all.

-Paul

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Do we seriously have to have ANOTHER thread about this? The last one kept on and on, and if I recall, got pretty heated. They were there. They were asked to leave and wouldn't. They continued to provoke police. They edited the video to make it look like a bunch of "statist pigs" assaulted them.

Move along now. Nothing to see here.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom