What is the reason behind the long wait for a tax stamp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    If a NICS check takes seconds, how much more are they checking that it takes months? How much of the 9 months do they actually spend looking into an individual?

I would bet it take no longer to do one over the other. The difference seems to be the sheer amount of applicants that want a stamp compared to the number of people processing the other.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    No I did not mean this as a racial remark. I mean this the way country boy phrased it. The government is the biggest supporter of quotas for hiring. Instead of bringing in people who can do the job efficiently they have to follow quotas. I wish everyone would hire people to do jobs based on work performance no matter who they are.

Ok, that is something I can agree with.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If a NICS check takes seconds, how much more are they checking that it takes months? How much of the 9 months do they actually spend looking into an individual?

The ATF process MILLIONs of forms every year. It's not just your Form 1,5 that they are processing. They process 5320.20 (request for interstate transport) they process Form 3 (dealer to dealer, dealer to manufacturer), they process Form 2?? (when an SOT manufacturer makes Title II firearms), and many, many others. All these forms are processed by the same 10-20 examiners. IIRC, they process over 100 forms per workday. That is quite a bit considering that up until recently they were all paper form and required background check, verify all parts of the form and correctly filled in etc, making sure all of your additional paperwork is complete etc, then sign, stamp, transcribe serial number onto the stamp (remember they do this with not 1 copy of the form, but 2 copies, one for you and one for them).

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    The ATF process MILLIONs of forms every year. It's not just your Form 1,5 that they are processing. They process 5320.20 (request for interstate transport) they process Form 3 (dealer to dealer, dealer to manufacturer), they process Form 2?? (when an SOT manufacturer makes Title II firearms), and many, many others. All these forms are processed by the same 10-20 examiners. IIRC, they process over 100 forms per workday. That is quite a bit considering that up until recently they were all paper form and required background check, verify all parts of the form and correctly filled in etc, making sure all of your additional paperwork is complete etc, then sign, stamp, transcribe serial number onto the stamp (remember they do this with not 1 copy of the form, but 2 copies, one for you and one for them).

Seems... inefficient to say the least.

Top Bottom