• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    Picked up a small amount of range brass that looked like this. Is it a weird crimp? Still able to be reloaded or stay away from it?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Fine to re-load, I see alot of .38/.357 brass with the same roll mark. I believe it's just some design in the brass, if it was a crimp it would be up by the throat.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a bunch of 357mag and 38spl with that same knurling on them about mid case. I filled them back up and popped them off. I was like you a little hesitant so only fired them one more time and scrapped them.

Not sure what that is for. Maybe to crimp bullet in on the factory round? Maybe to prevent bullet set back? May want to do a search about it. Seems to me a read about it once on here before.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There is nothing wrong with it. It's a normal mark that used to be more common years ago.

And 9mm is not the only caliber you will see it on. For example, if you pay attention long enough, you will see it on a fair amount of 38 spl. brass.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Lol.. Its a crimp to keep the bullet from getting set back when a pistol/ revolver is fired or being setback in a pistol when its being loaded into the chamber.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, what 17Squirrel said.
    I have some .45 Colt brass from Winchester factory loads with basically the same thing on it.
    Aside from not really liking its look, and that I'm certain it serves no purpose in ammo with proper neck tension and a decent crimp, I reload it when I have it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's called a "canellure" and it's been around since the first automatic guns were introduced. It keeps the bullet from setting back in the case in a full auto gun. It's a "must work every single time" military thing. In war ammo gets ABUSED - thrown out of trucks and aircraft. It has to be 100% functional when they tear open a case - and it works really well. You mostly see this on military calibers designed for use in full auto buzz guns. Your bullet may not be the same length as the original bullet but you can still seat it where ever you need to as long as you stay above the canellure. If all new brass was canellured we wouldn't be seeing all the setback problems we have now. The factories just don't want to bother rolling a canellure into the case and they couldn't care less about people reloading them.:rolleyes: If the case neck has sufficient tension and is not overexpanded the canellure is not really necessary. But it is a more positive way to block bullets from pushing into the case and is easier and faster for mass production of ammo.

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Yup, its a canellure.
    That one looks knurled, usually they're rolled.
    Have loaded quite a few .45 Colt cases with the rolled type.
    Eventually, even with mild loads they disappear.

Top Bottom