• ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Hey All,

As a prospective LTCH holder, I was wondering, for those that don't mind sharing, how much is cost you to start carrying monetarily speaking?

I'm talking, cost of the gun(s), ammo, the LTCH itself, any training, club memberships, etc.

I'm not looking for an expense report, I'm just curious to find out what I'm looking at getting myself into. If you want to provide detail, it will be much appreciated, but I understand many people don't feel comfortable discussing their funds with their family, much less a complete stranger.

Thanks in advance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good quality carry gun: $250-300 (Thinking KelTec or very very used Glock)

Budget holster to carry you over until you can afford a better one: $20

Budget Walmart belt to carry you over until you can afford a better one: $20

Lifetime LTCH (including time / travel) call it $150

minimum 200 rds 9mm FMJ ammo to determine worthiness of firearm: $50

minimim 50rds 9mm quality defensive ammo: $50 (shoot half to determine if they'll function in your gun)

If you're wholly & completely new to firearms / shooting, then add in ~$100 for a "beginner" training class

Anyone else to chime in?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Kahr CW9 with 2 extra mags and a good DeSantis holster - $460

Extra mag carrier, good leather - $50

Indoor range time - $12/hour

Training is of utmost importance. Don't skimp.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Indy Guy sounds about right.

Gun: $200 - $500
    Holster: $20 - $75
    practice rounds: $50
    carry rounds: $25
    LTCH: $150
    NRA Safety course: $25 - $100 (depends on where you take it)
    Range membership or range time

Grand total = $470 - $900

EDIT: I forgot eyes and ears! Ear plugs are super cheap, and safety glasses are, what, $20?

You should really drop a bit more every month on practice rounds, and keep that range membership up. More training is always good, too.

Then you'll want to upgrade holsters as you decide what fits you best. Eventually a new gun (or 5)...... :D It is a tad addicting.

You can spread that cost out really easily, though. Get your LTCH now. Take the Basic NRA course soon. Start hitting the range with friends to try out their guns (costs you ammo and range fees). Eventually pick up a used handgun (likely off of the aforementioned friends) for a reasonable cost, and grab an inexpensive holster. Upgrade as money allows.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good advice and pricing so far. My only 2 cents to add is I carry two devices of protection, my ever-present in the pocket Kahr PM9 but the CM9 is a worthy, less expensive alternative. Since I am trying to stay one caliber, my other carry piece is currently a Beretta PX4 full size.

The big thing is get the training if you are not familiar with firearms for personal use, and remember that there is no substitute for practice, so figure several hundred dollars for ammo to remain proficient with.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You can spread that cost out really easily, though. Get your LTCH now. Take the Basic NRA course soon. Start hitting the range with friends to try out their guns (costs you ammo and range fees). Eventually pick up a used handgun (likely off of the aforementioned friends) for a reasonable cost, and grab an inexpensive holster. Upgrade as money allows.

:+1:

Very few people jump head first into carrying a gun without taking the time to learn to shoot properly, be prepared with your LTCH, find a good, RELIABLE gun, and a holster that allows them to carry said gun comfortably. Don't be afraid to spread your costs out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good advice on the pricing so far.

1) Reliable Pistol/Revolver $450
    2) IWB Holster $25 (I would recommend a Sticky)
    3) OWB Holster $25 (Fobus is decent for the money)
    4) extra magazine or speedloader $30
    5) 1.5" wide leather belt $15 (Try WalMart or TSC)
    Honestly I would spend any extra cash on a good belt! I think the belt is more important then the holster. A good double thick gun belt will cost more.
    6) 100+ rounds of quality defense ammo $75 (make sure to test your carry ammo for reliability and accuracy)
    7) Cleaning Supplies $25

Yes you will need ammo, training and practice but that goes without saying and is just part of the maintenance of owning your gun.

Edit: Forgot the LTCH. If memory serves me I paid $50 to the county and $75 to the state.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    it looks like everyone else has a good start for you. But before you carry, practice, practice, practice, and practice. Then do it again. You can not spend to much time at the range. Because you don't know what you're actually going to do if it becomes necessary to drawn your sidearm. But you also need to learn to recognize a bad situation and get out of there. (Situational Awareness!)

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I bought a used Sigma .40 with 4 magazines (one 15 round mag and three 10 round mags) and a box of assorted ammo for $200 back in January. I bought a IWB holster off of Amazon.com for less than $20. I spent $89 on State fee and L-1 Identity solutions and $50 on local fee for my lifetime Carry License in July. I'm about to pay $65 for a one year membership to the Elwood Conservation Club.

So all together I have about $430 (not including the ammo I've bought since January) in my addiction so far. I'm sure it's going to become way more!

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Do you have any guns at all? If not people are way underestimating. My bet would be closer to 2000 if you have other guns and other guns of that caliber you will be ok. People are not counting range bags and targets and range time, cleaning supplies, eyes, ears, storage in house etc. 1000 rounds ($340 in .45) of practice ammo and 80 rounds of actual carry ammo.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It doesn't matter what the initial cost is.

You will have thrown thousands down this rabbit hole once you catch the disease. Your first carry weapon is just a gateway.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Good quality carry gun: $250-300 (Thinking KelTec or very very used Glock)

Budget holster to carry you over until you can afford a better one: $20

Budget Walmart belt to carry you over until you can afford a better one: $20

Lifetime LTCH (including time / travel) call it $150

minimum 200 rds 9mm FMJ ammo to determine worthiness of firearm: $50

minimim 50rds 9mm quality defensive ammo: $50 (shoot half to determine if they'll function in your gun)

If you're wholly & completely new to firearms / shooting, then add in ~$100 for a "beginner" training class

Anyone else to chime in?

I think this is a very good break down. I will add my own take on an "economy" version and a "quality" version.

Economy

Gun ~$300 (Smith and Wesson SW9VE, Taurus, kel tec, used glock, used Springfield Armory. I urge you NOT to get a Hi-Point as your first pistol.)

Cheap holster: ~$20 (Uncle Mikes)

As far as a belt, even now after years of carrying I just use my regular belt. Just make sure you've got an extra notch or two, as that gun adds an inch or two if you are carrying it IWB (in the waist band).

I agree with his other figures of ~$150 for LTCH, ~$50 for practice ammo, and ~$50 for hollow points. Training is a good idea if you are new to carrying but the price can vary pretty widely. I paid about $100 for a one on one morning with the guy who trained the local police department

300+20+150+50+50+100= approximately 670

Quality setup

Gun ~500 (Glock, Springfield Armory, Kahr, Smith and Wesson)

Holster ~85 (Crossbreed Supertuck, MTAC Minotaur) A good holster will make an absolute WORLD of difference. I suggest making this upgrade a priority

I still use a regular dress belt to this day. I might get a gun belt one of these days but it's not a priority.

I'd say the other costs are pretty much the same with the exception of there being more expensive self defense ammo available if you're willing to pay for it. Me, I use the cheap hollowpoints. Also more training would obviously cost more but it would be to your advantage to add training as your budget allows.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    When you got to get your fingerprints use the computer scan. It costs less than 10bucks and I got my permit in 7 business days verses the 3months my neighbor waited b/c he said I was wasting my money. I promise it is well worth the time and money.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As you can see the prices can be whatever you want. When I got my permit, I already had my revolver (S&W 66) that I had bought at a flea market years ago for $200. I got a holster that fit it, in one of the boxes that lots of gun shops have of odds and ends. So I had $5 in it.

Fast forward to today and my rig costs a lot more than that with a Kimber and a fancy holster.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can't begin to guess the amount of money I've thrown at it. That said, I can save you a bunch;

Get your license, that is a given. Train with local instructors before you buy anything. Develop your own opinion of what is best for you after using other's gear.

A few hundred bucks directed toward training to start with can save thousands in wrong decisions in the future. OH, and it might just save your life.;)

decal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Jamestown, Indiana
    I agree with several members that a good belt is quite important. Check out ebay. I picked up a 5.11 belt with the plastic stiffener inside it for less than 20.00 including shipping. I'm sure I got lucky but it can be done.

Top Bottom