What is your favorite cartridge for the white-tail woods?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    southport
    With hunting season right around the corner I wanted to ask the community what their favorite rifle cartridges are for the Indiana firearms deer season! I’ll go first and say my favorite rifle cartridge for Indiana white-tail deer is the 30-30. I love to carry my grandfather’s Marlin 336 lever action fout into the woods to harvest some food for my family!
    I appreciate everyone’s feedback and look forward to hearing about what your favorite cartridges are.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    With hunting season right around the corner I wanted to ask the community what their favorite rifle cartridges are for the Indiana firearms deer season! I’ll go first and say my favorite rifle cartridge for Indiana white-tail deer is the 30-30. I love to carry my grandfather’s Marlin 336 lever action fout into the woods to harvest some food for my family!
    I appreciate everyone’s feedback and look forward to hearing about what your favorite cartridges are.
    I haven't found my "favorite" yet.
    I seem to like most every one I've tried.
    To date, I've taken Indiana whitetail with the following cartridges,
    .357mag
    .44mag and special
    .454 Casull
    .30-30
    .35Rem
    .30-06
    6.5 Creedmoor

This year I hope to add 6.5 Grendel and 10mm to that list, maybe more.
    So many choices

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My caliber favorite so far has been…… 44 mag I suppose mainly because it is a lever gun and I really like them.
    I think caliber matters far less in this equation when you get the privilege to carry your grandfathers gun out into the woods. Wish I had an heirloom like that.

In lieu of having something like that… this year I am trying to use traditional equipment to hunt as people did before me. Hoping it is as fun as I envision and as fun as it is researching and collecting. So I am using a .50 cal hawken this year.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For years Indiana was a slug gun and handgun state. Thus we were a 100 yard state and we made semi custom slug guns for people. (Shoulder still hurts) Finally the rules opened up. Here are the rounds I have found worked well in the past and what I have used and use now. I had been know when young to carry a shotgun and a contender to hunt.

35 rem 14 inch pistol and 16 inch rifle and lever action rifle.
    Hits far above what the ballistic tables would say. A 30/30 on steroids. If I have a couple hours to hunt I grab a contender in 35 rem. This is my stand gun.

44 mag in pistol and rifle. Works wonderful as long as the shots are not long distance. My only complaint is I need to move my normal heart shot placement to a bit higher cause I am not getting a huge blood trail and the running dead deer does go a bit before expiration. Higher shots seem to pump out more blood. Lower shots the blood seems to pool in chest cavity. If I am still hunting thick stuff I grab a marlin 44 mag.

7-30 waters (and I will lump in the 357 max). These are great rounds in 14 inch contender pistols. Hand-loading required. These work great since I do not have a longer contender barrel than pistol length these have not been used much since PCR rifles were legalized. I will grab one and throw it in the truck if I am cutting firewood. Great truck pistol.

7.62 x 39 yes I took a deer with the AK first legal year on private land and AK good enough. I did get a few weird looks in camp.

243 win (308 lumped in) if the weather nasty or windy (308) and I will be hunting from a small field shed (old hog barn) I grab the rem 700 in either caliber. I have one blind where the shots can be long and if I know I will be there I grab a 700.

Those I use or have used in the past and have deer harvested with all above.
    First weekend of season I am normally on the stand and the contender 36 rem will most likely be the one. After opening day the marlin 44 mag with a scout scope and still hunting gets the nod.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For woods only, I enjoy carrying a 300 Blackout in a Ruger compact rifle with 3-9x. 130 grain supersonic loads. Low recoil, looking forward to putting the can on and reducing noise a bit.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    6.5 Grendel in AR platform is my favorite hunting round at this time. I'll use it to fill my 1st permit, then I'm going to switch to 7.62x39mm AR I built for the 2nd permit.
    3rd permit will be my Taurus Model 44mag.
    That's this years plan anyway.

6.5 Grendel is a dream cartridge for deer hunting.

1). Allows you to use a very light and modular AR15 platform
    2). Has very little recoil so accuracy is higher when shooting free hand.
    3). Is accurate out to 400-500 yards. I don't hunt any further than about 300 yards, so it's perfect for that.
    4). If you hand load, you have a large variety of 6.5 bullets and load data.

I've shot at least 4 deer with the Grendel using Sierra GameKing 120gn SP bullets. One was past 200 yards and dropped where it stood. One was 100 yards and dropped where it stood. Two were within 50 yards and neither ran further than 20 yards. I'm not sure you could ask for a better whitetail cartridge.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    My only rifle cartridge successfully used was a 45-70 in a Contender, a few with 44mag in a Ruger Blackhawk, the rest have all came with 12 gauge, Federal 2-3/4" rifled slugs.
    Now a resident of Tennessee, If I could choose just one, it'd be my long time dream gun, a 30-30 in a Marlin 336.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    My deer rifle is a suppressed 300 BLK shooting supersonic Winchester XP Deer Season. I am comfortable taking shots up to 150 yards with this but most of my kills have been within 50 yards.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Shot a lot with my .50 TC Renegade prior to rifles being allowed.
    My Michigan rifle, a Ruger M77 Mk II in .270 is usually my go-to rifle.
    I shot my best buck with my dad's 1894 .30-30.
    I've got a Marlin in .45-70 that needs blooded yet.
    Bought a Ruger No. 1 in .243 that should be a killer.
    Which is my favorite? The .30-30. It was my Pas rifle.

Top Bottom