What is your favorite HOME DEFENSE weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your favorite HOME DEFENSE weapon?

• Total voters
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    This is a tough one - it's not as cut and dried as many people think. But what is your favorite home defense weapon? I am not asking about brands of weapons, but kinds of weapons. Handgun? Rifle? Shotgun?

So what is your favorite and then WHY is it your favorite?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Had this discussion the other night with another INGOer. For me it comes down to what type of gun is easy to store safely and still be accessible. Hard to beat a handgun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    While I keep all three available 90% of the time, my shotgun is the only weapon I own that has the probability of planting unwelcome guests post-haste.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yout poll is about "home defense gun", not "weapon" in general.
    I believe guns are not the only option when it comes to home defense: dogs, clubs of all kinds, blades, pepper spray, tasers ... many kinds of weapons besides guns.

And when it comes to firearms you dont have to limit yourself to one type.
    Especially if you dont live alone, having different kinds of guns can be a good option.
    You can use all 3 options you have in your poll.Shotgun for you, leave your wife armed with a handgun and grab a rifle if things get really ugly.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My first choice was not available. Chevy Silverado 4X4. It has some stopping power that the rest do not have.

JesseJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Between here and there
    I do keep handgun on my side of bed,my wife a 12ga. shorty. I think the shotgun is better because of the shot patern. If woke up middle of night lot easier to point shotgun then to try and aim a handgun:twocents:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    For me, (children in the house) a handgun is easier to keep on 'standby'. Easier to wield in confined space, and works in short distance shooting (longest straightline path in my home is about 35'). Living in the country, backstop isn't as much of a concern with respect to a round traveling through to a neighbors house. So I need to be aware of the rooms within my house only. A rifle might change that. Shotgun might be better, but i fails the fist two points when compared to a handgun. FWIW, I feel that our Dogs in the house are the best deterent for would be home intruders.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Handgun.

Why?

Because I live in a small home in a suburban setting.
    Because I have children I may need to handle with one hand.
    Because I've got more training on pistol than rifle or shotgun.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    .40 cal Handgun ...
    BUT
    In my opionion, it would be hard to make a true judgement as to what was my favorite home defense weapon without actually ever having to actually defend my home. So for most of us, this is pure fantasy. We know what me might LIKE to defend our home with.
    Might as well ask our favorite celebrity to go out with on Friday Nights. It would be Andie McDowell .. I just love her. And I would CC my .40 when we went out.

picture.php

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    My favorite home defense weapon is living in a neighborhood where I'll never have to use my weapons.
    That being said, I have a Mossberg 500 cruiser model 12 gauge, Saiga 12, and Remington 870 all lined up by the bed (one for me, one for her, one for if one of ours malfunctions {all for having nowhere else to store them}).
    So yeah. Shotguns it is. #4 Buck is the preferred load since we have a "shotgun" house and the pattern will spread to about 12" in either direction from the center point of the bedroom.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Shotgun. All Day. Every Day.

I would be comfortable with a rifle/pistol, if needed. Then again, if I go to a rifle with my setup, I'm at the end of a long line of bad decisions.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Shotgun.

Which reminds me, I know a guy whose companion actually did get shot in the hind end with rock salt. I forgot what he said they were doing but it was one of those dumb arse kids bothering neighbor things. Per his telling some chunks had to be removed from buddies fanny with tweezers and the boys decided to leave the neighbor alone in the future. I think my luck would be that an errant chunk put out an eye or something, but in this one case it had the desired effect.

Top Bottom