• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Varget for rifles and Unique for pistols. I shoot much more revolver than auto pistol rounds, but I do use mostly Red Dot for my auto loads. It can be used in many revolver rounds as well, but if you are just picking one, I think Unique covers more bases.

Doug K

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Varget for rifles and Unique for pistols. I shoot much more revolver than auto pistol rounds, but I do use mostly Red Dot for my auto loads. It can be used in many revolver rounds as well, but if you are just picking one, I think Unique covers more bases.

Doug K
    :+1:For the Varget and Unique.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    H4895 is the "unique" of rifle powders and does well in .223.

Varget, Benchmark, BL-C(2) are also good .223 powders.

It's hard to pick one pistol powder, but for me it would be Universal or No.5.

For target loads in low pressure rounds like .38 SPL and .45 ACP Bullseye is great, but is very dirty in higher pressure rounds like .40 S&W. No.2 works just as well as a fast powder target load, and for economy, and burns cleaner than Bullseye.

Unique gives me fits (won't meter consistently) and has been dirty and leaves a LOT of unburned powder, at least in the stuff I have tried (not a lot, and yes, it;s the "new" Unique).

Fior higher pressure non-magnum loads (especially .40S&W) I love Universal and I am also starting to use No.7 (there is no lead bullet data for Universal from Hodgdon, and I'm not going to use internet data from "expert" reloaders).

For Magnum pistol 2400 and No.9 are the ones I go to.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Everyone says that WW 231 is a good choice for .45acp but I can't find any. If I find some I might change my mind on the ones I am using.

Super38

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I've been collecting my brass for .223, one of these days I'll actually try to reload some of it.

Super38

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Sound like a majority of you guys like Titegroup. Would that be good for Handgun cartridge in a rifle barrel too? 445 sup mag?

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    For .223 I use IMR 4064, or Varget (i also reload .308 and 45-70 and these are suitable for all three calibers). Pistol calibers, Universal Clays and Bullseye

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I use several powders as I reload for way more calibers than necessary; I'd say I use Varget more more of them than any other 1 powder.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Titegroup is good but I find myself using Unique and Power Pistol more.

I'd like to try Varget in my rifles but can't find it! Been using H-322 lately.

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I use Unique as I load both 9mm and shotgun(s). I would also note that I am not sure what some of the powders that have been mentioned cost but I give around $16/pound for the Unique. I mention this because you talked about $30/pound and I know if you looked around you could do much better than that. Decisions decisions...:)

Top Bottom