• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Okay folks... I need help here... I recently built a couple of AR PISTOLS.... the questions is, can ANYTHING be added to the buffer tube that will still keep it a "pistol"? I have seen foam covers, and SIG makes interesting piece that wraps around ones arm... I was thinking about attaching a carbine cheek/riser piece that usually fits over the collapsible stock piece, to the buffer tube... don't really want to go to the "big house" though...

Didn't know if anyone knows how the NFA rules read or if someone has a link to answer this question... I know guns like the Mare's Leg, essentially has a short "stock" on it, but I don't know what makes it legal, or not ILLEGAL. If it's length, circumference, etc.....

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    So anything that would facilitate "firing from the shoulder" would be considered a "stock"..... Now that I wrote that, I know it sounds a little stupid, because if it does that, it would be more of a "rifle" than a "pistol"....

'Nough said....

Thanks for the reply....

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    A friend of mine has a stock that is shaped in a way that the top is angled out and is kinda like a rounded triangle, allowed a check weld on the top part of it. He was questioning if it was legal as a pistol as well. He took a few pictures of it, sent it to the ATF and had them weigh in on what they would classify it. They said it was not a rifle and was actually a pistol. This was on official letterhead and had very specific wording on it that it was legal to use on a pistol. So he keeps that paperwork with the pistol AR. It is pretty sweet! If you have a question, the ATF has a department that does this service free of charge. I can find more information from him if anyone is interested.

vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks again guys.... it's definitely a gray area you don't want to get caught in by the wrong folks... I'll stick to a straight buffer tube for now and maybe do the picture thing to the ATF, definitely worth asking BEFORE you get questioned.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Agreed, this is a situation where " it's easier to say sorry than ask for permission" doesn't apply.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    With an AR-style pistol I've wondered about a pad that basically was attached to your shoulder with a strap or to your shirt with velcro that the buffer tube slipped into. It's not a part of the gun, so it's not a stock but it serves the purpose only when you hold the gun in firing position.

But in any case it highlights the absurdity of this law and how arbitrary it is.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom