What kind of cleaning stuff should I get in preparation for my first handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Eh? Amazon links would be much appreciated since i have some gift cards for there! Thanks :ingo:!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just jumped on Amazon. Search for hoppes bore snake. They have a pistol kit that includes the bore snake, cleaner and oil. Add an old toothbrush, some Q tips, and maybe an old rag or t-shirt and you are pretty much ready.

I have used Hoppes #9 for years and still use it to clean my rimfires and shotguns. That is not to say it is the best cleaner on the market. I actually have an assortment of cleaners, jags, and brushes.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    For my Glock?

A small container of soapy warm water, a toothbrush, some clear rinse water, some sunlight to dry it out and a quality gun oil.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I vote these

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Otis-22-45-Caliber-Pistol-Cleaning/dp/B001DC94FG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1344231140&sr=8-13&keywords=otis+cleaning+kit]Otis .22-45 Caliber Pistol Cleaning System: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/M-Pro-Tactical-Universal-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B003H6DHBS/ref=sr_1_26?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1344231311&sr=1-26&keywords=gun+cleaning]M-Pro 7 Tactical Universal Cleaning Kit: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/M-Pro-Sided-Tactical-Cleaning-Black/dp/B002CTCFTQ/ref=sr_1_58?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1344231372&sr=1-58&keywords=gun+cleaning]M-Pro 7 Soft Sided Tactical Gun Cleaning Kit (Black): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

This should get you on the right path.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I was gonna say basically a pistol cleaning kit. Go to your local gun shop they should have gun kits.

Midwest has some really nice Hoppes ones and then pick yourself up a bore snake, which reminds me i need to get one. haha

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    already said, bore snake for the right caliber. q tips. an old tooth brush and a rag usually work fine. I use Frog Lube for my weapons, but use whatever cleaner/Lube that you want to use. Granted, once you get the first kit, just replace it with whatever you use up, dont have to keep buying the kit everytime. Also, thanks, i didnt know it was available on amazon, so I will have to remember when its time to reorder
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Froglube-CLP-Cleaning-Paste-Liquid/dp/B00683OLRQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1344234206&sr=1-3&keywords=frog+lube]Amazon.com: Froglube CLP Cleaning Kit 8oz Paste & 4oz Liquid: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Ian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I just got my first can of Eezox. Holy crap this stuff works!
    Cuts right through the carbon buildup on my .22 pistol, and the dry lube makes even the Ruger mk 3 trigger a bit smoother!
    I have used Hoppes for years, but highly recommend Eezox now. Time has yet to show how it protects, but I clean often, so I wont be an issue with me

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I like the Wheeler Engineering screw driver kit (large one with all the tips),one can never have enough patches, M-Pro7 cleaner, assorted brushes, and a good size tool box to keep all the cleaning supply's in.

Top Bottom