• ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Lots of good advise here already.

Comfort and fit are important. Handle them all. Go to a range and rent some. Better to spend $10 to find out you don't like to fire it.

Revolvers are great for beginner train and practice with due to their simplicity and visibility of functional components. Light weights are great for EDC but a harder to control for follow-up shots.

Use nothing less than a .380 for self-defense. Revolvers are available in .380.

Good luck in your selection process.

Revolvers in .380 auto. Really? I don't remember seeing anything available or even produced for that matter. Half moon clips could be used I suppose.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Without reading all 3 pages I will give you my suggestion.

My mom wanted a gun from home defense a few months back. I brought her out to the farm and she tried out a few different options.

Glock 17,19- She didnt like the grip angle
    S&W J frame- Did like how small it was, recoil was distracting
    XD40- Didnt like how high the slide was, made follow up shots slower

She decided that they M&P 9 was the one she liked the best. I bought one for her the next week and she has put about 1000 rounds through it since then. It felt the most comfortable in her hand and she shot it the best out of all of them. Obviously it is different for everyone, but I just wanted to illustrate the process of elimination she used to come to her decision.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I know some women and men included sometimes carry weird weapons. I have a sister who carries a .44 magnum chrome S&W long barrel revolver under the driver's seat of her car. Sure would get someones attention!

dxrs0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    My arms are really weak.
    Lynn

I actually have the same problem due to illness. I too am making the decision to not have to be dependent upon anyone to save me if something happens. I was told to get a Glock. I have loads of questions. And will probably have more before this is over.

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    My girlfriend is 4' 9" and weights about 97 lbs, she is also sesitive to LOUD noise. We ended up getting her a .327 mag Ruger revolver and she is very happy ( and good) with it.

hockey3236

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    My wants her cc permit and one for her purse

thinking of 380 auto or pistol. Or even small 38. any sugestions

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    thinking of 380 auto or pistol. Or even small 38. any sugestions

Purse carry comes with additional factors to consider. These have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum so I won't regurgitate them here.

For the examples you gave, here's my initial thought process. The semi-auto runs the risk of being a single shot firearm if it cannot operate properly if it has to be fired from within the purse. (One of the many arguments for a dedicated firearm compartment in the purse.)

The steel frame .38s will add a lot of weight to the purse. And even assuming she doesn't mind lugging it around, it will add additional wear to the purse and significantly shorten its lifespan if it is an off-the-rack version. I don't pay big bucks for purses so some of the expensive models might hold up better. It's a trade-off.

Speaking of trade-off, making the .38 a lightweight model improves the weight tremendously, but makes it a ***** to shoot, especially if it's a small frame revolver.

I carry a Taurus .38 2" in lightweight mode for the purse gun. I dislike shooting it so much that I'm looking to change my purse gun so I don't have to shoot it any more. I'm beginning to hate it. It would be better if I could find a frame with a longer grip, but those are extremely hard to come by in the lightweight models and I can't have a steel model. I carry too much crap as it is. :D

Just my :twocents: from 10+ years of purse carry.

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I would recommend a smaller profile down. Ruger makes a semi auto and 380 caliber. This is a nice reliable gun and should be very easy to handle with small hands. If you want a very small gone for carry you could try the PSA 25. These are very nice guns that shoot .25 auto caliber.

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I would recommend a smaller profile gun like the Kahr 9mm. These are well made guns with a lower smaller profile. The 9 mm is a nice size for carry and is not too expensive for range practice. If you want really small you could consider the Baby browning using the .25 ACP auto round.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    My grip was painfully weak and my trigger finger could not pull 5 lbs. Enter a pro hands grip master light tension grip strengthener. The key here is this $15 investment lets you improve grip as well as individual finger strength. Start with the blue light tension one. After that move on to the red medium tension one. For $30 and a few minutes a day you will be more comfortable pulling a trigger. The web site is WWW.prohands.net if you want to check them out.

I am not affiliated at all with this company, just a satisfied customer. I bought my equipment at Dick's Sporting Goods...I am not affiliated with them either.

Last edited:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My girlfriend is 4' 9" and weights about 97 lbs, she is also sesitive to LOUD noise. We ended up getting her a .327 mag Ruger revolver and she is very happy ( and good) with it.

Pretty much the exact same thing here. 32 long is an absolute ***** cat out of it.

Top Bottom