• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm wanting to get into smoking some meat but not sure if I want electric, gas, or charcoal? I've read pro's and cons on all 3. It will be an outside unit and my budget is around $500. I've got a buddy with a green egg and he loves it and I have another buddy with a Traeger and he loves it. Both of those are out of my budget.

Can INGO provide me with suggestions??

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Went through the exact same thing a couple years ago. Found a Vision ceramic Kamodo grill/smoker and couldn't be happier. Far less expensive than an egg and able to do anything an egg can do.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    We built our own and it turned out awesome. We used an old 250lb propane tank purchased from a local propane company for $50. We had a local steel shop fabricate the panels for the fire box for $100. Misc angle iron and expanded metal for shelves another $100. The heavy construction makes this hold heat extremely well and makes for some great cooks. A fun project if your into that sort of stuff. Outside of that I think Oklahoma makes an affordable unit that we based some of our designs off of.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you have never smoked anything before, odds are good you will get great results using an electric, digital, cold smoke set up. You might as well use technology to your advantage. Also easier to emulate techniques on the web with this type of smoker.

I am stuck in an old school way of doing things but I will add a traeger some day. My Bro upgraded from his old masterbuilt to the new one and his ribs are the best. If you are smoking food you want to eat the same day and want consistent results, smokers like this get it done.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I started with an ECB (el cheapo brinkman), decided I liked smoking & moved on to a Masterbuilt 40 which I love.

This really depends on how much attention you want to give to the smoke, I wanted more of a set it & forget it which the electric Masterbuilt provides.

You will get a better quality smoke from a barrel type or other type of wood fire smoker but lots & lots of babysitting & a longer learning curve. If my life ever gets simpler & I have more time I will probably move to something larger with separate fire & smoke chambers.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    (In light of an appropriate number of real responses....)

... one with loose morals, no front teeth, and a father who owns a liquor store.

You're welcome. :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I started with an ECB (el cheapo brinkman), decided I liked smoking & moved on to a Masterbuilt 40 which I love.

This really depends on how much attention you want to give to the smoke, I wanted more of a set it & forget it which the electric Masterbuilt provides.

You will get a better quality smoke from a barrel type or other type of wood fire smoker but lots & lots of babysitting & a longer learning curve. If my life ever gets simpler & I have more time I will probably move to something larger with separate fire & smoke chambers.
    A cheap offset firebox will require tons of tending, figure every 30 to 60 minutes. A drum type smoker like a UDS or Weber Smokey Mountain requires minimal tending once you get your temperature dialed in. I normally light mine later in the evening, and let it run overnight untended. I get it running at around 240-250, and it is usually running around 235-240 when I get up in the morning.

Here is a pork butt left unattended over night.

nNt7iA.jpg

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    A cheap offset firebox will require tons of tending, figure every 30 to 60 minutes. A drum type smoker like a UDS or Weber Smokey Mountain requires minimal tending once you get your temperature dialed in. I normally light mine later in the evening, and let it run overnight untended. I get it running at around 240-250, and it is usually running around 235-240 when I get up in the morning.

Here is a pork butt left unattended over night.

Yup, my UDS requires less tending than my electric smoker did (granted it was a cheapo). As long as you have a big enough charcoal basket, you can smoke at the same temp for insane lengths of time. I'm super glad I didn't go out and spend over $1000 on a smoker and did the UDS instead. It really is a wonderful design.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    One thing that helps in winter is insulation. One of my favorites was a hole I dug and then lined with 100 year old street pavers I drug out of lake Michigan. I also built up three sides above ground and closed off the front and top with sheets of fairly heavy stainless.

Then I put baskets at the front of the hole to hold my fire in place, kind of like a Dakota pit. Added a couple layers of expanded steel to hold the meat. I made a couple for friends too, just made them help hump the bricks out since each pack weighed about 100lbs with 10-11 bricks.

You can also drop any Weber style off its legs and set on a layer of bricks, then circle the entire bottom with bricks. Imagine a brick fire pit that your Weber fits perfectly in.

Top Bottom