What limitations to the Second Amendment are acceptable to you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The only limitation I'll accept is the originalist one that any control over arms can only occur on the state level, and the federal government has no constitutional power to regulate arms in the states.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No chemical weapons (in the classic WW1 sense)
    No biological weapons
    No nuclear weapons
    No incarcerated persons
    No foreign nationals that aren't permanent residents

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    1153347-mini_nuke.png

that's probably my only limit.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think it would be reasonable to limit the number of times this question can be asked on INGO.

And I think we've now hit peak history-ignoring-no-infringement-rhetoric.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The power of the sword, say the minority..., is in the hands of Congress. My friends and countrymen, it is not so, for The powers of the sword are in the hands of the yeomanry of America from sixteen to sixty. The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress has no power to disarm the militia. Their swords and every terrible implement of the soldier are the birthright of Americans.
    Tench Coxe

This^^^

I believe the chemical, biological, nuclear &c are straw men, none of them are the weapon of a soldier.

If an enemy, foreign or domestic, attacks our citizens we will soon be armed as well as they.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No chemical weapons (in the classic WW1 sense)
    No biological weapons
    No nuclear weapons
    No incarcerated persons
    No foreign nationals that aren't permanent residents
    Why do you hate liberty?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Does anyone really believe that it is a good idea to use NucBioChem on your home field?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I can agree no NBC warfare equipment, but I can also agree with blue falcon that when people say "none" that such devices aren't really included. I wouldn't consider weapons of mass destruction to be "arms" as written in the Second Amendment.

And even if one did believe you should own them, we have a lot of steps in between here and there before it's a relevant issue. Let's start working on the Hughes Amendment first.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I think the citizenry should have available all arms available to any government entity that can operate domestically.

If a military unit is allowed to operate domestically, the citizenry can have anything they have. Same for domestic law enforcement.

This goes for everything. Same tools, same rules of procurement.

If a government entity operates domestically with weaponry not available to the citizenry, then it is a coup.

The prison bit is hard if you stick to pure ideology. I guess if it comes down to it, prisoners can be armed if kept in prison or hanged, depending on the crime. If someone insists on being a violent dick, stretch their neck.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think the citizenry should have available all arms available to any government entity that can operate domestically.

If a military unit is allowed to operate domestically, the citizenry can have anything they have. Same for domestic law enforcement.

This goes for everything. Same tools, same rules of procurement.

If a government entity operates domestically with weaponry not available to the citizenry, then it is a coup.

The prison bit is hard if you stick to pure ideology. I guess if it comes down to it, prisoners can be armed if kept in prison or hanged, depending on the crime. If someone insists on being a violent dick, stretch their neck.

Ok, let's go with your idea of essentially "anything goes." Should the govt have a say in how such armaments are stored/cataloged? And if not to an acceptable degree, prevent firearm businesses from operating until they meet their standards?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Ok, let's go with your idea of essentially "anything goes." Should the govt have a say in how such armaments are stored/cataloged? And if not to an acceptable degree, prevent firearm businesses from operating until they meet their standards?

I did not attempt to describe a situation where essentially "anything goes". I attempted to describe a situation in which the citizenry had access to any arms that their government might use against them.

With that said, no, the government has no say in how such armaments are stored/cataloged.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I don't understand the following sentence: And if not to an acceptable degree, prevent firearm businesses from operating until they meet their standards?

If you are asking whether I think the government should have oversight of arms dealers beyond prohibiting them from dealing in prohibited arms (those arms that nobody, neither citizen nor government is allowed to use domestically) my answer is "no".

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Now that I read my post again, I would like to amend it to be clear that I would not disarm the citizenry any from where it stands today, even if the police and applicable military units disarmed down to clubs and nets.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I always took arms to mean anything firing a projectile by means of explosive force....

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I always took arms to mean anything firing a projectile by means of explosive force....

I never saw that limitation. Swords, laser guns, pepper spray, I figure these are all arms. Firearms are a type of arms. Think of an armory in the middle ages or a "man at arms". It is more of a general reference to weapons.

Top Bottom