What loads are you working up for the new rifle season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    I just got some Leverevolution powder and 160rg Hornaday bullets to try them out in my 94 30-30 against my standard of IMR 3031 and 150 Silvertips. I also picked up a no drill scout scope mount for the 94.

The Model 70 30-06 will get a rundown with 165gr Balistictips and 150gr Inerlocks thinking both loads with IMR 4350.

243's for 2 different guns with 100gr Sierra Game Kings with IMR 4350, if they will both shoot the same load well.

I am just at the process of cleaning brass and gathering any needed components. BUT THIS NEW RIFLE SEASON IS ALREADY EXCITING! :):

Lets keep this post going with results, and photos of the process of getting gear ready...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The rifle load that I've used for the last four years has been the 225 grain Hornady FTX bullet (yes, the same one used in their LeveRevolution factory loads) for my .45 Colt Marlin 1894.
    It's been good for the three deer that I've taken, but I'm more than likely going to use one of three Barnes bullets in my Ruger .30-06, all 165 grain, the XLC (blue coated X-bullet, sadly discontinued), the MRX (tungsten core X-bullet, also sadly discontinued), or the TTSX.
    All three bullets are loaded with a charge of IMR4831 one grain below max (you really have to be careful with this particular bullet), and I'll just go with whichever of the three prints the best groups.
    I was able to plop five of the original X-bullets right at MOA, back over twenty years ago when Barnes originally came out with them.
    Hoping to make a trip out to my bro's place (huge 150 acre farm field behind his house) to do target evaluation, and I'll try and see if I can get some photos of targets, ammo, and the rifle.
    And yes, I'm soooo pumped to finally get a chance to do more than just shoot holes in paper with my Ruger.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Might reload, might not. Try a box of Federal premium in my #1 and if it's good, just get another box.
    Even if I drank two 2 liter bottles of Mountain Dew...........at best I could only work it like a bolt rig, not full auto ;)

If I reload proly 95 gr Partition.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I just picked up some Hornady 150-gr GMX bullets to work up loads in my 308 Win Savage 10FCM using Varget and IMR-4895. Thought about using my SIG 716 or M1A, but the Savage will be a lot handier I think.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Well after researching this bullet last night and then buying some today, I found an article talking about the GMX not expanding at 308 Win velocities except at fairly short range. Sounds like it wants 2700 fps to expand properly, but will only expand slightly at 2000 fps. The 10FCM only has a 20" barrel, so I'm thinking my muzzle velocity will be around 2700 fps, maybe even a little less.

I'll go ahead and use them to develop loads and see perhaps see how they do in water jugs at 100 yards. I don't plan on shots past 200 yards with it, so hopefully it will have enough expansion to get the job done. Hate to just poke a pencil hole through one.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm building .30-06 rounds with a Sierra Match King 175gr in front of IMR 4074 making 2700 fps MV for work between 600 & 1,000 yds.

But I get the impression we are preparing for different seasons.. :dunno:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm building .30-06 rounds with a Sierra Match King 175gr in front of IMR 4074 making 2700 fps MV for work between 600 & 1,000 yds.

But I get the impression we are preparing for different seasons.. :dunno:

Not intending to sound as if I'm lecturing here, but Match Kings are not intended for big game hunting.
    The Game Kings and Pro-Hunters are.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I'm working up some 30-06 loads using 150gr Partitions, but haven't settled on the powder yet. My Remington ADL likes the 180gr partition with IMR 4831, but I might try something different in powder. Maybe Varget or BLC-2. I need to take a look at this.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm working up some 30-06 loads using 150gr Partitions, but haven't settled on the powder yet. My Remington ADL likes the 180gr partition with IMR 4831, but I might try something different in powder. Maybe Varget or BLC-2. I need to take a look at this.

I've done well with IMR4831 with that weight bullet, but I've done just a wee bit better with the slightly faster burning IMR4350 for 150 grains, although I've heard lots of praise for the other two powders that you cite.
    Another good one for this bullet weight, especially for those of you shooting Garands and taking care not to damage the somewhat fragile gas system of them, is IMR4895.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Not intending to sound as if I'm lecturing here, but Match Kings are not intended for big game hunting.
    The Game Kings and Pro-Hunters are.

Well, the op referenced "rifle season". In post #2 you make a reference to deer. But other than that, there wasn't a specific reference made to hunting. So, I made the statement that we may be preparing for different types of seasons.

Just having fun, your point would be correct if you're season involves live game. My season involves paper, at great distance. :)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, the op referenced "rifle season". In post #2 you make a reference to deer. But other than that, there wasn't a specific reference made to hunting. So, I made the statement that we may be preparing for different types of seasons.

Just having fun, your point would be correct if you're season involves live game. My season involves paper, at great distance. :)

I kinda thought so, but wasn't sure; and yes, Match Kings are very good bullets for target shooting for those who don't want to spend several times what Sierra charges for them by getting the likes of Berger or Scenar.
    btw...you might be surprised to know that one of the two bullets fired out of my .30-06 that can manage MOA, out of about eighteen different ones tried, is the 180 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter spitzer, no target bullet that.
    Not even the 165 grain Match King could do much better than 2 MOA by comparison.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Anyone have any experience with the Hornady LeverEvolution 30-30's? Loading some up for a 94 in the next month or so and wondering how they shoot, and if the tips get banged up. I will probably get the LeverEvolution powder also but the last to shops I was at did not have any. Looks like IMR 3031 will work OK if I don't find any around.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Anyone have any experience with the Hornady LeverEvolution 30-30's? Loading some up for a 94 in the next month or so and wondering how they shoot, and if the tips get banged up. I will probably get the LeverEvolution powder also but the last to shops I was at did not have any. Looks like IMR 3031 will work OK if I don't find any around.

I haven't loaded the .308 caliber Hornady FTX (the bullet you're talking about) bullet, but the load that I've used to take three deer with uses a max charge of H110 to propel the 225 grain Hornady FTX bullet out of my .45 Colt Marlin 1894.
    Expansion and penetration have been 100% reliable on all three deer, and the tips do not mangle up at all, even though I have been using the full magazine capacity of ten rounds of .45 Colt so loaded, which compresses the magazine follower spring to its limit.
    The material used to make the tips is a sort of slightly flexible plastic that flexes under tension in the tubular magazine, but immediately returns to its sharp point shape once a round goes from the magazien tube into the breech.
    The soft spitzer noses are the ultimate solution for guys with tubular magazine rifles who want to extend the effective range of their rifles, and I highly recommend them, at least as long as you can get them to group well.
    Hornady really hit it out of the park when they invented these little jewels.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Like oldpink, I too have used the 225 gr FTX in my 44 Handi rifle. When I talked to Hornady about loads for that bullet, the guy said the closest thing to the factory rounds is Lil' Gun. He said that the LeveRevolution powder isn't exactly what is used for the 44. Not for sure if that is the same case as 30 cal. He said they make up their own little "cocktail" for factory stuff.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have a lever action 1873 new to the safe that is a 357. I think it needs to see a tree and a deer. I am thinking about loading some ftx's. Need to do some research. I know it was legal in old laws but some vintage hunting sound more fun than rifle cartridges.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    I can see that this will open up a big ol can of worms, but here goes.
    Favorite .30cal deer bullet for 300savage to 300mags?
    150 vs 165, Lead vs plastic tip?

I have always had good luck with 150gr Sierra GameKings so leaning that way in 30-06 at 2900-ish, but the 150gr Hornady interlock SST is looking like a valid choice also. I have never had a 150gr failure, so thinking I will stick with them, but the urge to load up some 165's is growing, if for no other reason just to load and shoot some more.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I can see that this will open up a big ol can of worms, but here goes.
    Favorite .30cal deer bullet for 300savage to 300mags?
    150 vs 165, Lead vs plastic tip?

I have always had good luck with 150gr Sierra GameKings so leaning that way in 30-06 at 2900-ish, but the 150gr Hornady interlock SST is looking like a valid choice also. I have never had a 150gr failure, so thinking I will stick with them, but the urge to load up some 165's is growing, if for no other reason just to load and shoot some more.

It seems that most rifles do best with a specific bullet weight, one that gives ample muzzle velocity and downrange performance.
    From what I see, the .308 Winchester and .300 Savage do best with 150 grain, .30-06 with 165, and the .300 Magnums with 180 grain, at least if you're able to tolerate the recoil for the latter.

Top Bottom