What military surplus do you like or not like.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    For all the outdoors-man, hunter, hiker/camper, or gun enthusiast on INGO that were once or still in the military. First off, thanks for your service!
    When you were in the military you didn't have much of a gear choice but now that you can pick and choose, which Mil Surp items are still the ones you would go with and which ones are pretty far down the list now that you have civilian gear options.

Are there surplus items that are only marketable because they can be found for pennies on the dollar when compared to their private market counterpart. (I'm thinking from a backpacking standpoint where I don't need things to be "deployment rugged" and would rather have light weight features.)

I'm open to thoughts on all types of gear but I'm picturing items in my head like:
    -the 3 bag system sleeping bags
    -entrenching tool (that is the short folding shovel for us civilians :D)
    -back packs with and without frames,
    -Boots
    -clothes designed for cold or rainy weather:
    -storage containers
    -[STRIKE]Abrams tanks[/STRIKE] sorry, hard not to picture that in my head. (note to self, you don't have to type out all your thoughts, Doogh! I did it again.)
    -Mag pouches, Molle gear

Specifically, speak to items that you really have no use for now that you can choose to buy something else.

:popcorn:

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    Gore-tex bivy sack
    Poncho
    Poncho liner
    polypro's
    chemsuit bag
    IFAK's
    Otis cleaning kits
    small assault pack

The term 'surplus' is a harder one to classify nowadays, since the military has gone through so much specialty gear. 72hr rucks and chest rigs and such can sometimes be good if they are the specialty stuff, not so much if it's the run-of-the-mill line gear. Surplus stores near large bases are much different than what is available at other shops. for some of the prices of surplus stuff, I'd rather buy better aftermarket equipment. When it's cheap enough, then it makes it worth buying used.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Gore-tex bivy sack
    Poncho
    Poncho liner
    polypro's
    chemsuit bag
    IFAK's
    Otis cleaning kits
    small assault pack

The term 'surplus' is a harder one to classify nowadays, since the military has gone through so much specialty gear. 72hr rucks and chest rigs and such can sometimes be good if they are the specialty stuff, not so much if it's the run-of-the-mill line gear. Surplus stores near large bases are much different than what is available at other shops. for some of the prices of surplus stuff, I'd rather buy better aftermarket equipment. When it's cheap enough, then it makes it worth buying used.

What is the difference between the run of the mill stuff and the specialty stuff? Are you referring to different designs in the gear itself or amount of wear and tear? I think you are saying that specific types of chest rigs (for example) are pretty nice but some are not that great unless they are just so inexpensive it is hard to pass up.:dunno:

Thanks, by the way, that is exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I love the old OD wool army blankets. Keep one at home, keep one to put on top of shooting range bench, and I wish I could get some more.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm open to thoughts on all types of gear but I'm picturing items in my head like:
    -the 3 bag system sleeping bags-Great bags if you know how to use them and their limitations. There are likely civilian replacements which will serve the same purpose while being lighter and saving on space, but they are likely to be NOT waterproof and much more expensive in most cases.
    -entrenching tool (that is the short folding shovel for us civilians :D)-Depending on your bug out plans this can be an incredibly versatile tool. Heavy, but can be very useful. A lot of "depends on you" with this item. For instance, for true self-sustaining survival it can be used to pull hot ashes or rock from a fire for other uses (heating bathing water, making other items such as crude soap).
    -back packs with and without frames, -Personally don't care for the exterior framed packs like Alices. The ILBE system the Corps uses is one of my favorite modular system and I've beaten the **** out of them and not had a problem. Can't speak for the Army packs, but since the Corps is now phasing out the ILBE system they will be flooding the market and pretty affordable. Knowing what I can do with them, that's where my money will go.
    -Boots-no preference really. Taking care of your feet is #1 priority in the field. Military boots work just fine if you know how, but you can find suitable civilian gear to work just as good if not better and there isn't a lot of a price difference sometimes.
    -clothes designed for cold or rainy weather:-The recent joint ops in Norway Marines were utilizing new extreme cold weather gear. Overall, great stuff, but probably can't find much of it for a good deal. I can't speak for older stuff in this category..haven't tested anything else.
    -storage containers
    -[STRIKE]Abrams tanks[/STRIKE] sorry, hard not to picture that in my head. (note to self, you don't have to type out all your thoughts, Doogh! I did it again.)
    -Mag pouches, Molle gear-I love MOLLE gear. Versatile, inexpensive, easy to find. GI mag pouches will continue to serve their purpose.

Individual responses posted above in RED

Personally, there are few things the military has that I would 100% say find a civilian replacement. Especially, when you compare cost against perceivable additional benefit. Most surplus gear is plenty rugged for anything you'll ever use it for and still reasonably priced compared to civilian stuff.

Boots and rain gear are two things that you could find civilian grade, suitable replacements at comparable prices without a doubt, IMO.

Packs and other personal field gear I think you'll be hard pressed to find the same. Buy confidently in surplus, IMO.

Disclaimer: I don't "baby" any of my gear. Every piece of it will get dropped and dragged through the dirt, water, and gravel equally. If I haven't beat it up and it survived I won't recommend it. These previously stated opinions are based on USMC issue gear. I cannot speak for current/recent Army gear.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You need to go to the motor pool and pick up a new sarcasm meter. Everywhere I went, I got issued one of them damn things and we never used them.
    Apparently, LOL

Yeah, there's very few circumstances where they are handy vs other methods. But none of them are most people likely to come across.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I still have and use my old Navy artic wear gear. Tough as nails and absolutely keeps the sub zero cold out. If you can find true mil-surp artic wear buy it. Still wear my old P-coat too, and if you can find true Flight Deck Jerseys buy em.

Top Bottom