• What Operating System do you use?

• Total voters

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I run Windows 7, but primarily because my main is also my gaming PC.

Overall though, I prefer windows 7 over everything. Not because it's technically superior, but because out of all of the computers I support, that's the OS that seems to keep people out of trouble the most.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm so sick of Windows that I could puke! Slow, freezes, crashes, pop-ups, you name it, it has it. If a Mac wasn't so damn expensive I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm so sick of Windows that I could puke! Slow, freezes, crashes, pop-ups, you name it, it has it. If a Mac wasn't so damn expensive I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Option Three is free....

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu click the download link: burn it to a cd, and reboot your computer. You can try it out without installing it on the hard drive. :)

I'm not personally an ubuntu user, but it is a good place to get started with Linux.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Where is AIX, HPUX?

I'm a UNIX admin for a living, I run Mac, Linux and FreeBSD :).

Linux is my specialty, I hold a RHCT, RHCE, and a RHCA :).

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount

This definitely sounds like a computer problem, not a windows problem. : \

How old is your hardware, and how long has it been since you've reinstalled windows?

And pop ups are only a problem if your system is compromised. Every modern browser blocks pop ups automatically.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This definitely sounds like a computer problem, not a windows problem. :

How old is your hardware, and how long has it been since you've reinstalled windows?

And pop ups are only a problem if your system is compromised. Every modern browser blocks pop ups automatically.

While I agree that technically the problem isn't "windows" but rather malware. I'd counter that those of us not using Windows don't have those problems. Even after having the OS installed and used daily for two years.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    This definitely sounds like a computer problem, not a windows problem. :

Computer is several years old and running XP and Explorer 6. I downloaded a newer version of Explorer a while back and that made the computer freeze up every time I used it.

I re-installed and re-formatted my computer a couple of months ago. At first I thought I had picked up somthing nasty but Norton and Avast both show no viruses even when I run thorough scans. My browser is set to block pop-ups but once in while one gets through. Biggest pain is the way-to-frequent freezes while browsing and the "not responding" pop up.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Computer is several years old and running XP and Explorer 6. I downloaded a newer version of Explorer a while back and that made the computer freeze up every time I used it.

I re-installed and re-formatted my computer a couple of months ago. At first I thought I had picked up somthing nasty but Norton and Avast both show no viruses even when I run thorough scans. My browser is set to block pop-ups but once in while one gets through. Biggest pain is the way-to-frequent freezes while browsing and the "not responding" pop up.

You should download Firefox that might help it is miles ahead of Internet Explorer.

Firefox Browser | Upgrade to the latest version of Firefox | Free Download

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You should download Firefox that might help it is miles ahead of Internet Explorer.

Or, even better: Chrome
    Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

One handy thing about Chrome is that each tab gets its own process, so that if one crashes, only that tab crashes instead of the whole browser.

There are lots of handy things about Chrome, of course, but that's one notable feature that FF doesn't have.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    While I agree that technically the problem isn't "windows" but rather malware. I'd counter that those of us not using Windows don't have those problems. Even after having the OS installed and used daily for two years.
    True, but believe it or not, I've seen macs with viruses and malware as well. And despite linux being a technically superior OS, there's no denying that it's far too complicated for the average user. [Yes, even ubuntu.]

First things first, you have two antiviruses installed. Antivirus programs aren't designed to run in co-op with each other. Every antivirus installs itself inside certain code hooks within windows that aren't shared resources. At the best, the two programs will conflict and likely render both pretty useless. At worse, it'd cause system instability and crash the system.

Second. Think of your computer as you would a car. The OS is simply your steering wheel. Sure, some steering wheels have lots of cool features, like radio and climate control, soft plushy covers or convenient ergonomics. Some just have the bare necessities and get by with power steering and an air bag. And then even some (real cars, like Porsche. :P) don't even bother with power assisted steering (comparable to our Linux users). But your steering wheel is only as good as the car you're driving. If you continue to drive a car past 2-3 hundred thousand miles, or drive a car from the 60's-70's, any realistic minded person will expect trouble along the way. And that only gets worse if they neglect issues like oil and transmission fluid changes (Updates!). Computers are exactly the same. 'Cept computers are worse than dog-years when it comes to age. Several years old, running windows xp, and IE 6.1 is your problem and equivalent to running a 70's Oldsmobile on 5 cylinders with sawdust in your oil. You're only begging for trouble.

Another option that's faster and offers more features is Opera.

Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browser free

This thread makes me wonder if this forum shouldn't have a dedicated Tech Support board.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    Run, run away from IE 6. Go with IE 8, or at least 7.

Or go with Firefox or Opera or Chrome or Safari..anything but IE 6. That thing is a craptastic malware magnet.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Vista. Prior to that, Win98. Never liked XP and didn't use it. I'm really liking Windows 7 and may upgrade... but I've been thinking about Linux for a long time, as well.

We'll see.

Josh

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    1 RHEL 5.5
    3 OSX Leopard (1 intel 2ppc)
    2 OSX Snow Leopard -- (my daily driver)
    3 Win XP
    2 Win 7
    1 Ubuntu 9.10
    1 Mandrake 10
    1 FreeBSD
    1 Solaris 10
    (not counting my Parallels VMs)

Mac OS all the way! For a sysadmin it can't be beat!

My brand new MacBook Pro 17" should arrive today.. BUT!! MacRumors.com reports new MacBook Pros as early as TOMORROW!

My son who is not even a year old uses OSX Leopard, though admittedly he more 'watches' it than 'interacts'..

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Windows 7 on the new NetBook (love that thing)
    Vista on the desktop
    XP on the garage PC
    XP on the work laptop.
    Had OSX at home, too, until the magic smoke escaped from the Mac's hard drive. Anyone want an "iLamp" style iMac G3? I've repaired the HD, but just don't need at any longer.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Just for fun.... Some pics of my "Daily Driver".
    mutter%20%281%29.png

That's 2 Intel Xeon E5506 cpus (4 cores per cpu at 2.13ghz each)
    and 12gb of DDR3
    img_1679.JPG

img_1678.JPG

Top Bottom