What pistol should the US Army replace the m9 with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Fnp45 usg all the way!!!!!!!!!!!! It has everythig the militry requires for a service pistol. An is very accurate! Plus 15 plus 1 rounds of 45 is niiiiiiice

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Something in 45acp would be nice (but that's unlikely).

DA/SA preferably.

Econo minded.

Anything but Hi point. Unless they built something very special apart from what they already have.

Built here in this country.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I would say Glock, but the lack of an external saftery knocks them out of the race unless they are developing something I don't know about yet. The M&P have the availability to come with a manual safety and they are good guns. The FNP series also can have manual decocker/safety. I can't see them switching from the 9mm. Be a lot nicer if they could carry +P hollow points. And from what I understand the M9 can't fire +P's because of the open slide design?

I have seen multiple reports about the military wanting to retire both the M9 and M4/M16 over the last couple years and still have not seen any progress.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    M9 is a piece of junk. I expect the M&P to replace it. No way they will pick Sig or Glock for political reasons.

G19 is already being used overseas.

Sigs are already being taught in the joint armorers course. G19 will be added sometime this year.

I'd say that would give Glock a leg up since the M&P isn't being used by any of our military anywhere.

The 1911 is still taught, more for historical purposes, but it will likely never come back to being the standard sidearm.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    The industry insider called the Sig a “workhorse,” but said the P229 is an unlikely selection because it is double-action only and has no positive safety.

Hmmm. The P229 I just ordered is DA/SA. And you'd think they would have realized by now, especially given the problem noted in the article with inadvertent activation of the M9 safety while clearing a jam, that a safety doesn't always increase...and can sometimes decrease...safety.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    M&P would be nice for OUR military "Made in the USA" would be nice on the side of our military arms. I am not saying it is any better than any of the other options though.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I would say Glock, but the lack of an external saftery knocks them out of the race unless they are developing something I don't know about yet. The M&P have the availability to come with a manual safety and they are good guns. The FNP series also can have manual decocker/safety. I can't see them switching from the 9mm. Be a lot nicer if they could carry +P hollow points. And from what I understand the M9 can't fire +P's because of the open slide design?

I have seen multiple reports about the military wanting to retire both the M9 and M4/M16 over the last couple years and still have not seen any progress.

I might be wrong about this, but it seems like I remember reading that NATO spec 9mm is loaded to +P levels.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I might be wrong about this, but it seems like I remember reading that NATO spec 9mm is loaded to +P levels.

That may be. I do know they cant use HP's (because of so called "rules of war" not because of the gun). So if they are running +P load through the M9 without HP's there getting a handgun that will punch through 3 guys and a couple walls with no expansion. That would suck. Maybe its the +P+ they can't handle......anyone know?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    It should be the 1911 but since we all know they will stick with the 9mm, which is inadequate with ball ammo. Then the Sig P226 would be a good choice and since Navy Seals already use it... But nothing without a external safety. That pretty much leaves the S&W M&P as a top contender.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    When I joined the Army, the 1911 was the standard sidearm. It needs to go back to the 1911, or at least a .45 caliber, because 9mm weapons are in every country, but there aren't many weapons that use the .45 acp. It denies the enemy a supply route that we provide.

Top Bottom