What pistol should the US Army replace the m9 with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    My vote is to bring back the LeMat revolver in .45 ACP with a 28 bore center barrel. JEB Stuart couldn't be wrong!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    1911 45ACP. NUFF SAID!

I read stuff like this and weep that peoples votes effect my life.

Honestly the CZ P-01 makes the most sense if CZ would put a Us plant up. it has proven itself in nato trials, and is an issued sidearm.

the Fn FNS/FNX would be neat to see come to higher production.

If the gov accepted the M&P maybe we could get some without the key lock safety.

I am also curios about some of the more limited use rounds, say 9x25 dillon, ( I would love 10mm surplus but the FBI has already seen that route into the ground) I would like to see some more of these specialty rounds hit a factory chambering and 9x25mm dillon is a neat round.

a .40 S&w to the tune of 135-155 grain would produce a fairly wide wound channel, sacrifice nothing in terms of capacity ( compared the the M9).

AS long as hollow points aren't used and we are complying with NATO I don't predict the round to change, nor do I really feel it needs to, I would perhaps suggest a new pistol training course be developed.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If we were to dream...... a G20 in a gen 4 design would be my pick, dump the M4 in favor of cz's new scorpion evo3 scaled up to 10mm, and built around glock mags.

build up 6.5 grendel DMr guns of existing parts, ridding both the M16 series of rifles and the M21 and SASS systems. the scorpion would be usefull for many situations and light enough that several people could carry it and a rifle ( like 10% or less of the squad) so that short range effectiveness could be addressed but longer range entanglements wouldn't put us soldiers at a disadvantage.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I happen to a fan of the xd 45 with a thumb safety and I prefer guns that have the thumb safety. It's just me and I like the idea of having a mechanical safety I can control.

If we were to dream up a gun put me down for a 10mm. It has all the power and almost the ammo capacity.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    Been in the service and the M9 sucks, They are crazy not to go with the M&P I prefer 40 but they would probity pick a 9. I do agree that a 1911 would be a great choice but lets all be honest here low round count expensive round yea it all adds up.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Unless there is a glaring reason not to, call me crazy but it would be nice if American Troops had guns made by the people they are trying to defend.

If our own government wont buy American, why should anyone else lol

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Glock Factory Safety

I would say Glock, but the lack of an external saftery knocks them out of the race unless they are developing something I don't know about yet. The M&P have the availability to come with a manual safety and they are good guns. The FNP series also can have manual decocker/safety. I can't see them switching from the 9mm. Be a lot nicer if they could carry +P hollow points. And from what I understand the M9 can't fire +P's because of the open slide design?

They have had these issued out there for a long time, one only needs to ask for it.

Compare-Glock-Factory-External-Safety-vs-Caminilli-External-Safety.jpg

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    My personal choice would be nothing. Used an M9 in the Air Force and was very happy with it in every way, including it's reliability in harsh environments.

In the spirit of playing I would choose an M&P 9 with a manual safety. The requirements of a safety and the need to stay standard with NATO will mean anything not a 9mm and anything without a factory installed safety are fantasies. I could care less if it is American designed / made. I want the best.

Top Bottom