• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Good afternoon all. So I'm still trying to work out some details about an AR build I want to do. I'm wanting a short barrel rifle, but don't really want to bother with the paperwork of an SBR.
    I was actually looking at a using a Magpaul MOE adjustable stock and either a 7.5" to 11.5" barrel and a noveske kx5 or something equivalent. However, after doing some research, it looks like I may be treading in some deep paperwork waters.
    Sorry, I'm still kind of a rookie at all this, not to firearms, just to ARs and the endless world of modification.

Thanks,
    Chris

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    From the ATF website a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
    "

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That would classify as an SBR anything with a "stock" and a barrel length of less than 16" or a 14.5" barrel with pinned & welded flashider. If you wish to use a shorter barrel as you described you can build it as a pistol and just use an arm brace such as a Shockwave brace..

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah probably should have looked there. So if I were to take the 16" barrel off my current AR and replace it with a 11.5" barrel, I have to register the weapon with the ATF and get a stamp?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If it has a stock on it (if it does, it's a rifle), then yes, you need big brother to grant you permission. Configure it as a pistol, then no.
    Yeah probably should have looked there. So if I were to take the 16" barrel off my current AR and replace it with a 11.5" barrel, I have to register the weapon with the ATF and get a stamp?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You will either need to build a pistol, or fill out the paper work, pay your $200 to pass go, and wait... A lot of people decide to go the pistol route instead for reasons of waiting, going across state lines, $200, paperwork etc. But having a lower that you can slap a short barreled upper on is nice. Some people have several uppers for one or two lowers, and others have sbr's out that wazoo. It's really up to you, but don't be intimidated by the NFA. With that being said, even with sbr's having a pistol lower or two is nice for crossing state lines etc. (you have to fill out paperwork to go across state lines with an SBR)

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Rifle= firearm with a stock meant to be shot with two hands
    SBR= Rifle with barrel less than 16"

So yes, an AR with a barrel less than 16" and a stock is an SBR. There are work arounds. First, have a 14.5" barrel with the muzzle device permanently attached. This gets you down 1.5", but that probably isn't enough. So build an AR pistol.

An AR pistol can have a short barrel like you'd desire, but not the stock. So it'd look like this:

1895903_01__black_rain_billet_7_5_sbr_pis_640.jpg

You can get an "arm brace". There are a few options, the most popular being the Sig Brace:

ADmPnca.png

Or the Shockwave Blade:

300blk_zps2qpvugrp.jpg

Or these Cheek Rests:

AgentAR-15PIstol104_zps5830683f.jpg

Per the ATF, none of the above devices constitute a stock, therefore keeping the AR in pistol configuration. It should be noted however, that the ATF says that using these as a stock means you have constructed an illegal SBR. Now there is a debate as to whether or not that can actually be enforced, but it is worth noting.

As a side note, if you want to put a vertical foregrip on an AR pistol, endure the overall length is over 26". It is some stupid ATF mumbo jumbo, but take my word on it.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Rifle= firearm with a stock meant to be shot with two hands
    SBR= Rifle with barrel less than 16"

So yes, an AR with a barrel less than 16" and a stock is an SBR. There are work arounds. First, have a 14.5" barrel with the muzzle device permanently attached. This gets you down 1.5", but that probably isn't enough. So build an AR pistol.

An AR pistol can have a short barrel like you'd desire, but not the stock. So it'd look like this:

View attachment 48643

You can get an "arm brace". There are a few options, the most popular being the Sig Brace:

ADmPnca.png

Or the Shockwave Blade:

View attachment 48644

Or these Cheek Rests:

View attachment 48645

Per the ATF, none of the above devices constitute a stock, therefore keeping the AR in pistol configuration. It should be noted however, that the ATF says that using these as a stock means you have constructed an illegal SBR. Now there is a debate as to whether or not that can actually be enforced, but it is worth noting.

As a side note, if you want to put a vertical foregrip on an AR pistol, endure the overall length is over 26". It is some stupid ATF mumbo jumbo, but take my word on it.

What is the length of the barrel / forend on the rifle with the shockwave?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just put $200 more in the kiddie and build a real gun.
    Everyone is trying so hard to "Look" like a SBR that you might as well just make one. Make a few. Join the fun.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    if you do build a pistol with a Shockwave blade or a Sig brace, make sure you don't put those braces up against your shoulder.
    Putting a "pistol brace" up against your shoulder is a no no.
    I have a 10.5" barreled pistol with a Shockwave blade and I am allowed to put it up to my cheek when firing and it's pretty easy.
    If you put a muzzle brake on to help with felt recoil, it's not bad at all.
    I also built it with a Law Tactical side folder and a Dolos removable barrel system.
    Fits nicely in an old laptop bag.

Laptop AR.jpg

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Just put $200 more in the kiddie and build a real gun.
    Everyone is trying so hard to "Look" like a SBR that you might as well just make one. Make a few. Join the fun.

I finally did register my pistol after two years. Every time I'd go to pull the trigger on it, I'd end up using the money towards a new gun.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks all. I need to do some more research on how to file as a SBR. Do I have to turn the rifle over to someone while that happens?
    That part is all very strange to me.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Thanks all. I need to do some more research on how to file as a SBR. Do I have to turn the rifle over to someone while that happens?
    That part is all very strange to me.

Here is my quick and dirty guide to be used to get your feet wet:

1. Build AR as a pistol

2. Shoot enough to ensure everything works

3. Submit paperwork/Efile Form 1

4. Receive tax stamp (6+ months later)

5. Replace pistol buffer tube and arm brace with a proper receiver extension and stock

6. Shoot

7. Shoot some more

PS- You should get your lower engraved with the required info after ensuring the gun works but before you receive your stamp.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you already have the rifle...

Submit form one.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait some more.
    Wait.
    Get your stamp.
    Get it engraved.
    Put shorter barrel on.
    Enjoy.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

UNLESS you added a 4.5" muzzle device and pinned and welded it. Then it would be considered a 16" barrel.

Top Bottom