• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Nice to see the xtp's getting so much love on here. I switched to them for handloads but havent shot a deer with it yet:(. there's always next year for me. I never could get the leverevolutions to shoot worth a crap from my rossi. the xtp's are as accurate as wwb for me.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The above is why I preferred the WWB above the Leveritions.

Ive only killed two deer with them and neither dropped right there.

Ill take look see at the xtps

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I'm thinking of giving up the .44 all together. It's mainly used by my kids. It is a deadly round and accurate but I have tried several types/brands and they just don't bleed. It's normally not a problem because they don't go anywhere when hit well with the .44. But when you are dealing with kids especially not every shot is going to be perfect. Twice now I have spent several hours grid searching for deer that didn't go 150yds due to slightly back shots and no blood. None. This year my 11 year old killed a doe. Great shot, quartering away, went in back a bit clipped gut and excited perfect behind opposite front shoulder scrambling the lungs. Deer dropped,kicked, struggled to it's feet, made it twenty yards and fell dead. In fresh snow. Not a drop of blood. Not where she fell and kicked, not in the twenty yards she ran, not where she lay dead. This was using the hornadys this year. Last year was wwb, year before that was something else, can't remember. All the same. For me, it's just too risky letting kids hunt with something that anything less than a perfect shot has a high likelihood of a tough to impossible track job. Hell I make less than perfect spots every once in awhile myself.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Whoa....................are you saying the .44 MAGNUM doesn't spray red all over when it blows a deer in half?
    Geeeesh, you must not read the internet enough.

It (the .44 magnum) is the veritable Hammer of Thor.

You need to quit posting facts from your actual hunts ;)

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lever evolution is the only thing I put through my .45 lever action. I have trouble getting anything else to feed well

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    The buck I shot last firearm season(35yds) painted the woods floor with blood everywhere along route where buck took off after being hit in heart & complete pass thru rib cage. He did make it close to 100 yds though, I was kinda shocked he made it that far with the amount of blood he sprayed out.
    Doe I took last weekend ran 75 yds tops, took out both lungs this time. Still had a decent blood trail after 25 yds. I should have shot her a little lower(hit her right in the middle height of rib cage. Will bleed a little quicker( & better if you can hit heart) hitting deer a little lower than half way up.
    Over the years since 44 mag rifle have been legal I have have good results with 240 gr xtp bullets. I didn't think I'd have much trouble with this bullet in 44mag because I have hunted with this bullet a loong time with 50 cal muzzle loader & sabots. Reloading for the 44mag rifle does help me gain more velocity & in turn more bullet energy at target than factory rounds.
    Knock on wood.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    I used the leverevolution 225 to take my last 3 dear with the Marlin 1984. By far the most accurate, flatter shooting bullet I've tried. BUT, I will be switching next year since I have been less than impressed with penetration. It seems that the bullet just flattens to a pancake and breaks apart after smacking the hide. I may have to compromise with a heavier, slower projectile.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I prefer the winchester 240gr JSP 1 inch groups at 100 yards I've killed 16 deer with them. 4 at over 160 yards. I agree with earlier post that 44 leaves small blood trails but they are very accurate and lethal. I always get clean pass throughs. I'm using a ruger 77/44 with nikon pro staff.

Top Bottom