• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have an SKS....I have found a Rock Island 1911 FS, that a guy wants to trade me...My question to the brain trust that is INGO...should I go for it? Should I give up a medium range 10 roung mag rifle for a 1911?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I you want a 1911 more than you want a SKS....Then yes. I think retail used prices are close enough.
    Depends on the type, which is why I asked. A Chinese via Albania like Classic, PSA and AIM had recently would be a pretty even trade. A Russian would need cash on the Rock Island side. Same as a true Albanian. Yugo would probably be pretty close, although those have gone up too.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Chinese, pre-Norinco, so not stamped parts.. indyjohn, that is what I've been thinking...regret.....But 1911.....regret....1911......

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You're talking about trading a moderately desirable mil-surp rifle that is getting harder to find for a bargain basement 1911. Both are decent, functional guns...neither is great.

Unless there's some issue with the SKS, or you don't like it for some reason, I tend to agree with Ark. Save your pennies and buy the 1911 outright. Our local Dunhams has a whole case of RIA 1911s. Those things are not going anywhere soon, they're nothing special, and I doubt we'll be seeing a huge spike in their value. That SKS is only going to appreciate the longer you keep it. They're not making them any more, and they've apparently become rather desirable over the years. It will be hard and expensive to replace later if you let it go now.

Now if you don't like the SKS, or never shoot it, then by all means trade it for something that you will. I'm not a collector, so I would never be one to advocate for a safe full of guns that you don't shoot. But from reading your posts, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have an SKS....I have found a Rock Island 1911 FS, that a guy wants to trade me...My question to the brain trust that is INGO...should I go for it? Should I give up a medium range 10 roung mag rifle for a 1911?

What are you shooting?
    For me, a 1911 never gets old...

SKS is about as rare as sand grains on a beach.
    Reasonably reliable if it's actual military, still a 4 MOA rifle with crap imported ammo, shooting an underpowered cartridge,
    ... And it doesn't fit in your pants.

I'm a fan of 1911, particularly if its colt factory pattern & has good sights.

... But if you don't shoot either one, what's the point?
    Which one would you rather look at? ;)

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    To me it depends on the condition of my sks. I have a Yugoslavia 59/66 very good condition all matching numbers on it. I won't be selling it. It's going to the family when I pass on. My job is to keep it in the condition it is now. If it was anything else, as in non matching serial numbers the condition good and the Rock Ultra is a good shooter I probably would.

1636536991931.png
    Like mine but my serial number is much lower.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Which Full size model, they make a couple different models of the full size. A bunch of difference between a Government model and a Tactical. The Tactical is a pretty good piece, they have upped their game a lot from the old standard model.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    It looked like it had Novak sights, but I've decided the SKS is a pretty good gun, and I'll keep it around.....ask me next month......

Top Bottom