What stinkin' instant check? - POLL - how long did it take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your most recent purchase thru a dealer. How long did it take?

• Total voters

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I keep hearing about instant check, but have yet to experience it. When I went to pick up my last purchase, which I had already paid for, BTW, it took 35-40 minutes. And, that's walking up to the counter with no one in front of me.

How long did it take to complete your most recent firearm purchase from a dealer?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most recent? From the time I stepped up to the register/counter until the time I walked out was over an hour.

I do recall a dealer purchase at the 1500 a few years ago. Something like 15 minutes for the whole transaction. That was nice.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't think I've ever had it take more than 15 - 20 minutes unless it was at a gun show and there were multiple people in line ahead of me.

Last two checks were probably under 10 minutes start to finish.

I don't know if it helps, but I have a very unusual last name, so I've never had a delay caused by being confused with someone else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Der poll is up, now! BTW, include your time filing out the paperwork or typing it into the screen... and any double, triple checking they do prior to your walking out.

Got it. I usually know what I am looking for when I go into the LGS so not much "Shopping" goes on. Not counting the BS time.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My last 3 were different experiences.

Last one was with ACME at the 1500. Filled out the form, they used the online form, got approved, and I got my gun. Nice and relatively quick.

The one two times ago was at ZR Tactical in Noblesville. Zach had me fill out the form, he used the online form, got approved, and I got my gun. Very quick. Only reason it took longer than 15 minutes is that he and I were shooting the breeze for a while.

The middle time, however, was at Point Blank in Carmel, and it took literally forever (probably close to an hour). Though, honestly, I think most of that time was due to their internal processes and not the ATF. But that's the second deal I've seen take that long (well, not counting the other 2 that were going on when I was there, which I guess would make it 4 deals in total I've seen take that long).

So... I think it really just depends on the shop. The actual background check process generally is pretty smooth, especially with the new online system. Way faster than calling it in was.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Last 3 for me were stripped lowers. 2 at USDS and one at Indy Trading Post. Less than 15 minutes at each place. Probably between 5 and 10.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    7 to 10 minutes at marksman shooting sports using the e check. 5 filling out the paper form, and another 5 or so for him to enter it.

1000th post woo hoo! Only 84,000 more to catch the mouse :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    3 to 3.5 hours.

Saw the gun, thought I could get a better deal so I walked the show, came back and then had to talk to someone who knows more about guns than I do, which is embarrassing because she is a girl and I didn't want anyone to see me so I had to step away and then come back.

It's a great gun though.:D

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I wanted to chime back in and thank folks for participating... prior to my most recent purchase, the prior 3 were all in the 15-25 minute range, with the 25 minute one being a multi-gun purchase with a fair amount of general firearms ****-chat with the clerk, so it wasn't really a "delay".

Poll pretty much confirms 35-40 minutes was the outlier I thought it was even though the NICS was only 10-15 seconds of that.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Last one was a week ago at the Noblesville Cabela's. Filled out the form online and it was approved almost immediately. Less than 5 minutes from the time I reached the computer terminal. The wait was probably 10-15 minutes but that was mostly due to some goober who wanted to show his son the Sig AR he had in layaway and tell stories to whoever would listen, the clerk who had to go get the gun out included. Cabela's internal system was the bottleneck. Certainly not the background check system.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I haven't bought a gun since getting my LTCH and know that having it should not matter but to answer the question, I always get a 3 day delay. I have been told it is probably since I don't buy very many guns or that I am a Junior ( named after my father).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One thing I've found, is if you have a common name, it seems to take much less time if you go ahead and give your SSN.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    One thing I've found, is if you have a common name, it seems to take much less time if you go ahead and give your SSN.
    That has been my experience, common enough name... ever since NICS came in, I've given my SSN unless I wanted to wait.

In the last 8 yrs or so I just fill out the form 4473 and hand them my ccdw, no waiting at all as no phone call is required.
    Wishing Indiana did so as well.

Top Bottom