• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I am currently in a conundrum. I pose this question to my fellow hoosiers because our gun prices are usually much different than the nation. I like to buy guns that will go up in value or will be difficult to attain later. I have about $1400 to buy a gun(s). What do you pick? I have narrowed it down to these 3.

Sig p220 elite match (1200)
    Sig x-5 (1350 at indy)
    9mm ar-15 (700, I plan on building this)

Last edited:

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    What ever is considered an "assault rifle" because that will be banned again depending on who takes office(which doesnt look good)

So out of your choices, the AR

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    AR. But think about if you really want it in 9mm. Don't know what else you have in your collection.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hmm I am sure that would help

Modern Rifles:
    Bushy ar-15 (.223)
    Armalite ar-10 (.308)
    Savage 10FP LE-2B (.308)
    10/22
    11-87
    SKS
    FA91
    M1A

WW2 rifles:
    1903-A3
    M1 Garand x2
    K98
    SVT40
    Enfield

Pistols:
    Springfield 1911ST
    Glock 19
    Glock 21C
    Glock 23C
    Walther P22
    Sig 226

Let me know if there is anything you think that is missing from this collection. Aside from the AK-47 I don't know much missing and I just cant bring myself to pick one up. So I am trying to break into the high dollar stuff.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My 2 cents. For the money you are wanting to spend, and keeping it in 9mm, how about a matched pair of Beretta 92FS pistol and CX4 Storm carbine that uses 92FS mags?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have a friend with the beretta combo. Nice guns, don't get me wrong. I can't get into the 92's or 96's. I just am not accurate with them. Same with the CZ line. Just don't work for me. I don't know if it is the grip angle or sites but I am HORRIBLE with these.

I am more apt to look into the ar route for the 9mm carbine for ease of parts and familiarity.

I will probibly end up with the .40 if I go for the X5 as well. I only have one .40 anyway. Need 2 of course.:draw:

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    Things that have happened between the last 2 post in this thread...

- Obama elected president....twice
    - The Winter Olympics....twice
    - Sirius and XM radio merged
    - Brett Favre retired from Green Bay
    - OJ goes to jail, but not for murder
    - The first, second and third Ironman movies
    - Michael Jackson death
    - Balloon Boy
    - Fort Hood Massacre

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have much of the assortment you have, don't have Glocks (like Colts - don't like poly frames). I also have an AK 47, US Enfield, Swiss K-31, several Mausers and Mosin's, etc. If you are looking for a firearm that will increase in value - possibly a high end AK would be a good purchase. I can see them being targeted (along with all "Black" rifles) by Anti's again soon. If you opt for an AK, you could still buy an AR lower or two (I bought a couple before the last panic), then build one when you desire. Even if there is a "ban" the rest of the AR will be available as the remainder of the parts are not considered a "firearm".

However my son and I collect firearms, together we have near 100. Looking at current prices vs purchase price, there is not one firearm that has not appreciated in value greatly. In fact I don't know of ANY investment that has had the increase in value that firearms have had in the last 20 years. We have a few SKS's we purchased for less than $100 each about 15 years ago, all are currently worth 3 to 5 times that today. I bought my SVT 40 for around $350 around 15 years ago - today it is valued at near $1500. Even the lowly Mosin's were purchased for <$100 each less than 6 ~7 years ago have a value today of about $130-$150. Ammo is nearly as good of an investment. We have thousands of rounds that have increased in value by 30 to 50% in the last 3 years!

By the way, I did see "Repop" magazines for the SVT40 online for $50. Hope they come down a little more, would like to purchase a couple. I don't shoot mine much, did fire it enough to insure it is operating well, but have too many other rifles to play with on the range, and don't want to chance damaging mine just to plink.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I am currently in a conundrum. I pose this question to my fellow hoosiers because our gun prices are usually much different than the nation. I like to buy guns that will go up in value or will be difficult to attain later. I have about $1400 to buy a gun(s). What do you pick? I have narrowed it down to these 3.

Sig p220 elite match (1200)
    Sig x-5 (1350 at indy)

Pistol caliber AR's are increasing in popularity, so there will be a lot of them out there at some point. The Sigs are competition specific, so they may not be desired in the future. A double action Colt revolver would probably be a better investment at this point. They are skyrocketing in value, although I have heard that production on new models will start soon. :twocents:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

[STRIKE]That build price is pretty optimistic. As a general rule, expect to pay between double and triple what you would to build a .223/5.56 AR. I had dreams of building a 9mm for my first AR, but the sticker-shock swayed me back to 5.56.[/STRIKE]

Edit:

Damn you JD!! This thread smells of decay!!

Top Bottom