• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcatman71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    I would like to see some opinions of what a good carry gun would be. None of the guns I currently own I would carry. I am leaning towards a 9mm but am curious what others carry. If you carry a 9...what kind is it? I thought I wanted a Glock 9mm, but not 100% sure....whats your advice? Thanks!

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Are you a small person?
    Are your hands small?
    These are things to consider.
    I am a large man with large hands so I carry a Glock 22.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    An open ended question with no definitive answer.

IMO, the best carry handgun is the one that you own and have trained with.

This might sound flippant, but I sincerely believe that any handgun will do in the hands of a well trained and practiced individual.

If you were a friend that is a new shooter, I would recommend a 4 inch 38 special revolver made by Ruger, S&W, or Colt and then get thee to a quality shooting school.

You can make more decisions based on personal knowledge after that.

This post probably belongs in the "Handgun" section?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What do you have now?

Exactly... this is what we need to know. What do you have that you consider to be something that you would not carry and why?

Do you have particular likes/dislikes/requirements regarding safety mechanisms, etc? Do you have a particular preference for single/double action, etc?

wildcatman71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    Exactly... this is what we need to know. What do you have that you consider to be something that you would not carry and why?

Do you have particular likes/dislikes/requirements regarding safety mechanisms, etc? Do you have a particular preference for single/double action, etc?

The only hand guns I currently own are vintage 22 revolvers. I consider them more of a collectible to me...and just dont want to carry them. I do on occasion plink with them, but thats it.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    How do you plan on carrying it? What is your daily dress like? I can carry my full size 1911, my G19, or my HK PSP depending on the time of year and what I am wearing.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I CC a Glock 17. I am planning on purchasing a Glock 19 though because I have been trying them out at various times and feel like it would be a little more comfortable for me. I would check them both out. Glocks are great for carry.

They're reliable and will feed through just about anything you give them. I have put 2000+ rounds through my Gen 1 17 and have never had a single failure.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    All of the above. Decide how you want to carry; that's certainly part of your guideline. Next is what are you comfortable investing? Then start researching your possible purchases, and going to stores and handling each one. Finally, if possible, shoot your top few choices. Either rent or ask someone in the group if they will let you shoot theirs.

Of course, with research comes all of the threads on what folks like, and dislike, about each. Remember, what works well for one person, may not be what works for you. The obvious things you want to look for are problems that a particular pistol may have, and you'll pick up on that quickly. Good luck.:twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Glock 19.
    Nothing else should be considered.
    Oh, and CC that baby!

Nothing else should be discussed :D

:yesway: I agree 100%

The GLOCK 19 rocks!

I want a Glock 19 so bad for my next carry gun! :rockwoot:
    Well just for my next gun as I had to sale the only handgun I had. :(
    Its not done yet, I have to sale it tomorrow and then I just have to leave INGO I guess as im totaly broke and wont be able to buy another firearm.
    Yep sad ... :(

I salute you INGO, its been a pleasure. :ingo:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My EDC is a Glock 27 Love it! :rockwoot:

You say you have .22s, do you have much experience shooting any other handguns? Try to handle as many as you can and shoot as many as you can before you buy. Everyone is different and there are so many choices out there I could not even begin to make a recomendation other than what I like and that may not be the best answer for you. Bottom line you will be the one carrying it so what matters most is that you like it and are comfortable with it. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Glockshooter149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    my edc is the glock 19 in the MTAC holster and I would never go to anything else. I wish I could CC my benelli 12 gauge, but it is just too big with the 28" waterfowl barrel. Back to the glock though, the other guys have hit it right on the head, the most reliable gun and no problems. A good holster is also a big part in every day carry and would recommend the MTAC or the crossbreed for the G19. Hope this helps.

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I love my Kahr CW9 9mm. It is smaller then most and easy to conceal. I have small hands and it fits great! The price is right and shoots great.

May I suggest that you go to a range where you can rent a few to try them out and find what you like. Talk to a few people and see what it looks like concealed. Most of all find what makes you comfortable... it will be YOUR gun.

Good Luck in your search!!

Top Bottom