• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    Well after one surgery 30 years ago from softball and dirt bikes, it seems it's time to get my knee replaced. While i have talked with my doctor, I'm wondering from others here that have had it done, what to expect, as in recovery, tips to make it more bearable, I know from a few people I talked to, meds will be my friends. but other than that, any advice? Suppose to be off work min. of 8 weeks. Still have mowing(rider) and regular home stuff to take care of,son can stop and help with some but I cant imagine being unable to take care of stuff myself for very long.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My mother had BOTH of her knees replaced (at the same time). Physical therapy is a MUST. Do what they tell you, and don't skip sessions.

She was only "down and out" for MAYBE 2 weeks. Then, got as active as she could stand, and then maybe another 10% to "push it". Used a walker, then a cane, but only while she really needed it.

Getting off the crapper was the hardest thing! It is AMAZING how quickly folks can recover, if they really want to.

Best of luck with your replacement!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had a partial knee replacement 4 years ago. (You can search Oxford Partial Knee to see it.)
    My General Practitioner told me to ask my surgeon what his redo rate was. My surgeons redo rate was 2%; he said it was mostly because they didn't follow his instructions.
    Once you're sure you've got a good surgeon, I think the next most important thing is a good physical therapist to help with the rehab. You have to be comfortable with your therapist and you have to do the therapy. Otherwise, in my opinion, you're wasting your time; if you're not going to do the P.T., save your money and hobble around.

I get occasional twinges and aches in my replaced knee, but its nothing compared to the pain I was in before. I'm glad I had it done.
    If you need a surgeon, I recommend John Meding. Dr. John B. Meding, MD :: Orthopedic Surgeon in Mooresville, IN

If you have to be referred by your family doctor, ask him who he'd want replacing HIS knee.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My mom has had both of hers replaced. You will be up and walking right after the surgery. They want to keep everything moving. A stationary bike once you get home will help. You will need to find the right amount of movement. Not to much that you really hurt but enough that it doesn't tighten up on you.

Mom had hers done about 10 years ago so things might have changed a little, but I know they still want to keep the leg moving.

Eat lots of bacon. The grease helps lube the new knee. Drink lots of beer. It keeps the blood thin which helps the body not reject the metal. But don't drink with the meds. Start the beer after the pain killers are gone. That can go bad real quick. Add purple where needed.

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do your PT exactly as they say. Don't be a wimp or a hero.

Good advice.
    I mention to my therapist that with my stretches at home I was pushing to a pain level of 8 or 9 on a 10 point scale. She said that would cause irritation and make the stretches less effective. She told me to back it down to 5 to 6 out of 10 for better results. YMMV.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If you are married, I'd get down on the knee again and ask her to marry you again. You got a new knee, need to make sure the vow is still good.

Top Bottom