What to do w/ $250 and a (possible) $200 trade?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    The title says it all. My mother-in-law told me today that my Christmas budget for a gun (she said specifically, for a gun. I know, I married into the right family) was about $250. And I have a pf9 that I'm not really attached to. Trigger job, hogue grip, parkarized slide, fairly nice. I figure it would be worth about $200, give 'r take. There could be a little cash on my end, but not much.

My question to the group is, What would you do with it.

Priority #1, a 1911, but I'm not sure I could get a quality 1911 for that. Tell me if I'm wrong. I would also prefer a 45, but I'm not against other options.

Other quality pistols and wheel guns are on the table also. I'm looking for ideas. Post pics if you like, I just want to get some ideas for further research.

Thanks for the time.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Sell your PF, take the $450 and get a Rock Island 1911. From what I hear, they are decent, cheap, and can be even better with about $300 in upgrades.

It'll probably be one of my next purchases..

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The Rock Islands are pretty popular, but I know a 1911 Gunsmith and most of the new pistols he works on are Rock Islands. IMO, by the time you sink the money into a RIA to make it a good pistol, you could have bought a Springfield or Kimber.

Just a quick gunbroker search yeilded a Springfield GI 1911 for around $550, and I'm sure there are some local shops who have GI Springfields. And Springfield's warranty is superb if you ever have an issue.

Christmas is a little over a month away, so you still have time to find some extra cash and go from the RIA to the Springfield.

1911s are meant to last lifetimes, and from what I've seen from RIA, they just don't last.

Just my :twocents:, there are probably some who've shot thousands of rounds through a stock RIA with no issue and the only part they replace is the recoil spring, but that being said, with my own 2 eyes, I've yet to see that RIA.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Might look into the ATI's or STI's also. I hear good reviews on the ATI's. The STI Spartan I have and it's been pretty good so far.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Rock Islands are awesome. Noticed no difference in shooting them from a Springfield or a Taurus, both of which cost more.

Can't say whether the parts will break down sooner or not, but the Springfields and the RIAs are both made in the Phillipines, I believe. Neither of them are from the 'original' Springfield or Rock Island Armories, just named after them in an effort to associate with a legacy, which I always found interesting...

Springfield has better finishes, though.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The only issue I have heard about the Rock Islands is that it is extremely difficult to upgrade the sights due to the way they are dovetailed in. I asked a gunsmith just last week and he said he would not attempt the work and knew of no other gunsmith who would. My buddy was going to get one and do all the upgrades but that turned him completely off of the RIA.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First off I would keep what you have or sell it here to a member. Cash in hand at a dealer or a private sale is always a major plus. Trade ins are always in the dealers favor as he would rather have the cash also.

Now lets say you have 450 cash. YOu are about halfway to most 1911 pistols. You are in the relem of the foreign made stuff like the RRA and sti's and the import revolvers in the new range Once again you are going to also be in the use area around what many would take if they like you wanted to get out of a purchase they did not use.

Personally I would look for a deal on a handgun hunting rig right after deer season in DEC. Many times I have got good deals on stuff between the end of deer season and the Christmas rush. Seems many get rid of something after season.

Scout out the local gunshops and use the layaway option and get a quality firearm.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Like I said in the op, I'm not opposed to other pistols, revolvers, or even rifles. I really appreciate the input. My wife is really gonna like me in the next few weeks. Lol. Keep up the suggestions.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have a nice Rock Island 1911 and may be able to work something out with you. Hogue grips and original wood grips. I think I have a couple hundred rounds factory ammo I can include, I haven't shot it in a while so I'll have to check. I know I have a box of high end defensive hollow points somewhere too. PM me with an email address if you're interested (newer member, can't PM back yet). I'm in Noblesville.

Edit: Additional info: caliber is .45. I think I have two mags (90% sure) but I'll have to look for the second one. I have the factory clamshell box. Almost brand new, I've maybe put 100 rounds through it. Shoots flawlessly, it's just a gun I picked up on a whim, shot a couple times, and laid in the safe for about a year now.

Last edited:

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I just learned that I won a $200 gift card from work. Unfortunately, I can't use it anywhere, but I can use it as Bass Pro. I understand that Bass Pro is overpriced for firearms, but I'm thinking about getting gift cards for the family this Christmas and using the money I would have spent on that toward the new purchase.

I looked at a few Rock Islands while at my biweekly trip to "Bob's" aka, Plainfield Shooting Supplies. They are really nice for the money. I was looking at an officer .45 for a right around $450. Good price? Thoughts?

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Dont nkow why some folks have so much distaste for ATI and RIA. They are the best of what they ARE. Entry level no nonsense 1911's. I would also look to see if you can find a llama .45 Arms list has a guy with 2 of them he is trying to unload...work with him too. Llamma was another company that built a good gun for a decent price. RIA is also a good solid built low dollar entry in the .45. I dont know why a gun smith would not wish to change its sights. i have an RIA and a Springfield 1911 GI. The sights are identically dovetailed on mine. no true noticeable difference. And as far as a smith goes. If he isnt up to a challenge..i question how bad he needs work. The couple of smiths i work with are more than happy to dive right in and try something new.
    The nice thing about the llamma and RIA is the fact that with a little know-how and fitting..better parts can be placed on/in them. so as you get a few buck in your pocket..get a new slide with adjustable sights...new springs, grips, mags, competition barrel and nut. Lots you can do with them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm very happy to see such a pro RIA thread. Have to say that I love my RIA two tone tactical. If it was me, I would go with a RIA without hesitation. You will not find a better gun at that price point.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    So, I took advantage of Black Friday, and got a 18.5" 12ga H&R Pardner Pump shotgun. I still have some left-over gun budget and will almost certainly apply that to an Officer's sized .45 RIA 1911. I will probably have to sell the PF9 to afford it, but I think I still end up better off. Gaining a HD shotty and a 1911 and possibly selling my current EDC for enough to get a decent holster for the 1911? I think I'll take it.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    midwest gun exchange has the smith and wesson m&p 15-22 on sale right now for 379. really fun to shoot. u can spend all day at the range for 20 bucks.

Top Bottom