• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I'm putting this here because I'm interested in differing opinions.

Recently, I got an eye infection in my right eye, which due to circumstances in my life is my "good" eye. The infection got so bad that I was basically blind for a week ; it's cleared up now and I have full vision again. I can see in my left, but not nearly well enough to point a gun accurately.

My question is how would you go about carrying, if at all, in a similar situation?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'd say you need to train for that situation. Work on shooting left handed and with you left eye. Work at it until you are proficient enough to carry with a blind right eye.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Carry a sawed off 12ga.
    Not much seeing needed, mostly just listening.

Agreed, being proficient with a disability means training with that disability.
    Boy if I had unlimited ammo and some property, I'd be shooting with both hands and both feet just in case I lose one or two.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Not sure it will help in your situation however I will tell you my handicapped tale.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand three years ago. My left is messed up and I never shoot with it because my wrist will not straighten out to aim. I was very uncomfortable going unarmed so I went to the range and discovered that if I braced my left with my bandaged right I could in fact straighten the wrist to aim. It hurt to fire more than a few rounds however I was relieved to learn that I did not have to go unarmed.

Moral of the story is don't say you can't unless you try. And train.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are you asking how I would go about carrying while the infection made me effectively blind? I probably wouldn't. I'd also probably stay home. I'm not sure where I'd go while blinded.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    With my messed up back I don't walk well or for very long. That being said I would have to drive and I don't think that i would last long out there and may **** of some friends when I hit their cars.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Are you asking how I would go about carrying while the infection made me effectively blind? I probably wouldn't. I'd also probably stay home. I'm not sure where I'd go while blinded.

Something similar. My circumstances made me blind for a week. While most people have the benefit of two eyes, my left is not good enough for me to be confident doing anything. I can see with my left, but it's turned inward. This has the unfortunate effect of making it impossible for me to focus on anything for more than a few seconds. I couldn't drive, had a difficult time reading, I couldn't see my front sight.

When I had to go to the doctor, my wife carried my piece in her purse as well as hers on her belt. I've never felt more useless in my life.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Agreed, being proficient with a disability means training with that disability.
    Boy if I had unlimited ammo and some property, I'd be shooting with both hands and both feet just in case I lose one or two.

For years I would shoot with my weak hand. Practice just in case something happened to my stronger or dominant hand.

Then in 2000 I had an accident and now my weak hand is all but useless for shooting. All that time and ammo spent practicing for what turned out to be the opposite.

Not sorry I did it, just saying how it worked out.

I would use my weak hand the same way as if I were blind... contact shots only.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have slipped discs in the right side of my lower back. I carry IWB @ 4:00-4:30.
    once a year or so the slipped discs will "flare" up or move out of place and sit on the Sciatic nerve. anyone who has had this knows that it can be debilitating pain.
    when I carried a Glock 27 for over a year straight, I had 2 instances where my back "went out". Carrying the 27, during and afterwards, was practically unbearable.
    I've tried numerous carry postitions. But IWB @ 4 oclock is where I'm most comfortable and proficient with drawing from concealment.
    The Glock 42 was a God send for me because it carries so well for me in my favorite postion and it has not bothered my back even once. I can carry the 42 all day long and hardly ever notice it. If my back goes out while carrying the 42 then it does not agitate or irritate the problem area on my back.
    I just had to decide that since the 42 carries so easily for me and I'm compromising down to the .380 round that I would become very proficient with drawing and firing on target and I would make sure that I carry it all the time...always (with spare mags of course).

Top Bottom